Zelda Lost Woods Trance Remix

Perfecto57

I liked it. It needs more diversity, though. You have basically three passes over the chorus and you play them almost straight up each time (1:29-1:59, 1:59-2:43, 2:43-3:30). Second pass does some different effects on the latter half which is good, but the remainder don't have enough differences in the phrasing, instrumentation, or dynamics. Song could also stand to be longer, with more original composition.

I would say between the second and third pass of the chorus, throw in a good chunk of original melody. Go nuts, you should bring more to the source than some background beatz. Everyone loves Saria, so make 'em wait for it while enjoying your own material before the third pass comes back (possibly with a second drop for suspense?) with additional impact. Commonly I hear this done either with a new layer of rhythm, a new chorded layer of melody, or by bringing your original hook back in as harmony. Don't let the tone or volume or impact match the first pass anymore; make the third chorus your best one yet. If you have two good ideas here, do one first and then come back for a fourth pass and do both. Finally, work on a good ending. You can definitely chop the dead tail off from 4:09 on and nobody would notice, but go for broke and try to get an ending that isn't a glorified fade-out.

Hope that makes sense and gives you some ideas; I don't normally do reviews and crits but I felt like I could explain what was missing on this one. Good luck!

Typing as I hear it:

Beginning of bassline is somewhat abrupt.

Melody should pronounce itself more.

Gets kinda boring around 3 minutes, maybe sooner if your audience didn't know what Lost Woods was. I was kinda waiting for it to get interesting, and that shouldn't happen.

Make it more defined. It is kinda interesting to hear plucked strings at 3:30 but then it goes repetitive again.

Post-Listening:

Needs more substance. It felt very empty, and I was constantly going for the volume knob and going up, but the kick was getting louder progressively moreso than the tonal instruments, so I think you should focus on melody and hooking in your audience. If this were a situation wherein I were a DJ and I needed a cool-down song to lower tension in the room in the middle of a mix, I'd use something like this, but for OCRemix, everyone wants to hear your top-quality interpretation of Lost Woods that makes us wanna dance the trance dance.

However:

I like your drums. Reverb the bass though.

Just some first-looks, can't wait to see how it turns out mixed/mastered!

Thanks Pixel,

Like I said an hour of Ideas nothing more than thrown down.

I usually don't reverb my Sub basses due to them becoming muddy but I'll give a shot at side chaining some reverb on it and see how it goes.

In all honesty, does dance style remixes have an equal chance of a rock remix on this site? [=

Anyways,

thanks for the feedback. It's all taken into practice.

-JT

Of course! If anything, they have more of a chance. Rock and Dance are two different genre with two different construction styles. Also, the reason for a panel of judges is to surpass bias of genre and focus on quality of a mix. If your mix is high quality, it gets in. If it ain't, it ain't.

Sounding better! I wouldn't even blink an eye hearing this as part of a bigger set; it may be a confusing analogy but this "hits all the right notes" for me. Adding and subtracting instruments/tracks one by one during the intro and outro sounds just like I expected and hoped. The new siren and hiss crescendos add suspense appropriately. The length is in the sweet spot and doesn't leave me wanting more; I feel like I've heard the right amount of Saria when it's over.

You have a couple new sound effects, I think they are Epona's whinny and an arrow being shot? I like where Epona is used, but while I was trying to figure out what the sound was it was a tossup between Epona and Skull Kid's laugh and was disappointed when it wasn't Skull Kid. (I think he fits better thematically with the Lost Woods, too.) The arrow didn't seem to fit at all, IMO. Now that you have a traditional outro, the last section of just UNTZ UNTZ past 4:51 seems boring.

The original section from 2:44 to 3:12 is a welcome addition, but lacks an original melodic hook and simply reinforces the source. Based on your other comments, I suspect you intend to sub this in the future? Right now I'm pretty sure you're going to get NO'd across the board for lacking originality. Also, 30 seconds in a 5 minute song won't cut it. Find a good hook, something clearly recognizable as your own, and use it randomly but repeatedly elsewhere in the track. You should be trying to achieve the same effect you do with the source itself - play the first half of the hook everywhere you get a chance, but don't complete the phrase and chorus until late in the track. That way, when everyone re-plays your track, they'll hear your hook (several times) and anticipate the chorus.

Well, this is interesting.

It does meet the definition of trance for me. Although for me it was a bit conservative with the source. Whenever the source wasn't playing, it was this (dare I say it) generic trance beat and sound. I would love it if you played your own spin to the source, maybe adding harmonies or taking the source in a different direction at random points.

A good trance example of proper source usage and having your spin on it would be DigiE's Trance Turnabout or anything by bLiNd.

I personally did not like the single bass drum kick for the first (and last) 8 measures. I felt it was WAY too long and monotonous, not to mention empty. Add some diversity to the kicks (in other words don't make it all quarter notes) or get rid of 4 measures and I may change my mid about it.

Good start, but needs plenty of work. Keep it up.

Big thanks for the replies.

I do get stuck on what to really do as far as making it "original" with out it sounding like something completely different. Comments and ideas are greatly greatly appreciated and taken into practice.

I've been playing the keys since 5 so I do plan on putting a "Piano slam" section in here along with the strings as a backing. Also, my guitar player friend has some ideas as well, so we'll see how that turns out.

On a last note about the intro and outro. I am starting this rough draft off DJ FRIENDLY which means time to mix in and mix out. A "Radio" version that gets to the point will be the final edit for a possible submission if this track even had the slightest chance of acceptance.

Another note on the repitition you see in a lot of my tracks comes from writing lots of music and remixing lots of music with the feel of Andy Blueman in some areas, hence why it's a bit of a challenge to create melody outside of the source but still holding a personal sound yet one that doesn't make the feel and tone of the track do a 180.

Doing my best and I'm most of all having fun and sharing the music.

Can't do it without the people input.

Cheers,

-JT

It's got almost a happy hardcore feel to it when the melody really kicks in, but I agree you should definitely tweak the melody around a bit yourself. Make it more original. Try out some new chords underneath it as well, or make up a bridge section. I also think some dynamic changes would be welcome - it's all a bit frantic sounding, with no part to catch your breath in the middle.

Mixing wise, the kick is hugely prominent, but the backing becomes pretty muddy during the busy sections, so try some more mixing on the next rendition and clean it up a bit.

It's got almost a happy hardcore feel to it when the melody really kicks in, but I agree you should definitely tweak the melody around a bit yourself. Make it more original. Try out some new chords underneath it as well, or make up a bridge section. I also think some dynamic changes would be welcome - it's all a bit frantic sounding, with no part to catch your breath in the middle.

Mixing wise, the kick is hugely prominent, but the backing becomes pretty muddy during the busy sections, so try some more mixing on the next rendition and clean it up a bit.

Thanks DarkSim. What sounds did you notice become muddy during the busy parts?

And yea, any ideas on how to change the melodies any more than I have? (I suck at this BAD).

Tried to add new things without taking away the original feel of the track being remixed.

Once again thanks heaps. All is taken into practice,

-JT

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I've mixed the Kick and Bass a bit nicer into the mix (Still needs some work on the break), and added a couple of vocal effects from the game so it has more of a Zelda feel to it. I'm adding a softer kick and ride from 2:11-2:22 to as well aid in the build up. I feel the previous one was way to punchy for the buildup I'm looking for. This track is about 80% complete, because I have simply run out of ideas for this =/. All in all I think this is turning out well and most of all, fun.

Please leave comments. I do listen and apply. Haha

PS: I added a guitar playing an improved, melody for a short bit near the center. I'm not to sure about it.

Thanks,

-JT

Lost woods

http://soundcloud.com/user4393066/lost-woods-update-no-4

The intro build up works great after more instruments come in -- I dunno how I feel about just opening with beats.

The melody at 1:20 and 2:03 both work, but I was hoping for a change the second time around. Maybe some sort of stuff to fill in the harmonic gap between the melody and the bass?

2:03 and 2:44 can't be the exact same, and I suspect that they are in this case. Vary things up -- I prefer the final pass through something like this to do something different to make itself memorable. That way, you get listeners who listen to the whole piece again just to hear how awesome your last bit was.

The piece felt like it was finished at 3:25 when the break happens. Afterwards, there just isn't much going on, and the slow death doesn't work well for me outside of a DJ set. If that's what this is going to be, great -- otherwise, in my opinion the song needs closure beyond this slow fade that is more boring than anything else.

Overall: Needs another part or two (in instrumentation) for repeated sections, whether that is chords added to the bass line or a countermelody dancing around the melody doesn't matter a whole lot, but it can't repeat verbatim as often as it does.

The intro build up works great after more instruments come in -- I dunno how I feel about just opening with beats.

The melody at 1:20 and 2:03 both work, but I was hoping for a change the second time around. Maybe some sort of stuff to fill in the harmonic gap between the melody and the bass?

2:03 and 2:44 can't be the exact same, and I suspect that they are in this case. Vary things up -- I prefer the final pass through something like this to do something different to make itself memorable. That way, you get listeners who listen to the whole piece again just to hear how awesome your last bit was.

The piece felt like it was finished at 3:25 when the break happens. Afterwards, there just isn't much going on, and the slow death doesn't work well for me outside of a DJ set. If that's what this is going to be, great -- otherwise, in my opinion the song needs closure beyond this slow fade that is more boring than anything else.

Overall: Needs another part or two (in instrumentation) for repeated sections, whether that is chords added to the bass line or a countermelody dancing around the melody doesn't matter a whole lot, but it can't repeat verbatim as often as it does.

Alright thanks man. I know it takes time to type up these reviews, but it is GREATLY appreciated. This is however, a DJ FRIENDLY remix with 32 beat intro kicks and a drawn out outro. I'll try and see what I can do about mixing things up a bit with the melody. Can't let it get to busy or mixing becomes quite difficult. I'll see what I can fade around to mix this up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so with everyone's help, critique, and advice, I'm getting close to putting the lid on this track. It's sounds good to me and was a lot of fun to work with. Very glad I got some good feedback on here and everyone enjoyed the listen. Small edits will be made with the outro. this is DJ FRIENDLY with mix in and mix out sections.

Thanks to you all once again.

Cheers,

-JT

http://soundcloud.com/user4393066/lost-woods-jt-remix-final

• 2 weeks later...

0:27, 0:41 source A part

Okay, only two short source references in the first minute and a half?

1:50-2:24 source A part

2:24-2:40 B part

2:40-3:08 A

3:08-3:24 B in a different take

3:24-3:51 based on source part A

3:51-4:05 A

4:05-4:22 new version of B

4:22-4:36 A

4:36-4:51 B

A-B-A-B-A-B...

So, 176 sec required to meet Larry's stopwatch criterium. This adds up to... 181 sec, plus those two source bits in the beginning. That's cutting it pretty close, especially if the 3:24 part doesn't count (27 seconds). The source is dominant as per the standards, but I don't know if a third of the track can be a practically source-less intro and still get on ocr.

Production sounds fine to me, in keeping with the trance style as well as I know it. I don't like the arrangement, there's some nicely interpreted bits in there (among more newbish takes on "personalizing" it), but the structure is pretty much a cookie cutter medley of the A and B parts.

Cheesy sound effects added in. Classy. :P It also looks like the tail of the last hit gets chopped off.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- Too conservative - sticks too close to the source - the main part of the arrangement

- Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing) - intro and outro

PRODUCTION

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - it could be a little cleaner, but not a dealbreaker

STRUCTURE

- Too repetitive - the ABABAB structure does that, especially coupled with four on the floor beats

Cool track, but I reckon the source usage and the basic arrangement would keep this from getting passed.