PlayStation Vita

Newt

Really on the fence for this system. The system itself is nice enough, but honestly what's really drawing me in are some of the launch titles, I've invested an *excessive* number of hours into the Lumines franchise, and a new game with new music makes me want to buy it and the system outright. Also a really big Hot Shots golf fan, so there's another game I know i'll dig hands down.

Not too excited about the 3g version since I have verizon I don't really have a use for it, hopefully people come up with a clever way to use smartphones as a hotspot that the Vita can link up to.

So it came out last night, and no one has posted yet?

The one downside I've seen so far is that I couldn't figure out how to get all the games I'd downloaded two nights ago from Media Go onto the Vita; I had to download them all again from the Vita itself.

Sure, there are a few odd things with the way the interface works (I'd also prefer button-based input; they probably did it touch-based to compete with the iPhone), but really, it's a good system overall, and small issues in the UI can always be fixed with a system update.

I didn't have much time to play any games, but I got all the Welcome Park trophies in about an hour. Today, I'll have more time and can get into some of the real games that make the system worth buying.

So it came out last night, and no one has posted yet?

I was kind of busy transferring save data.

I'm overall impressed with the Vita. It marries mobile phone touchscreen capability and still is a gaming system.

Word to note: it does NOT COME WITH A MEMORY CARD. The proprietary memory card comes seperately. Screen Protectors and the Charging Cradle are highly recommended by me.

The touch screen is capable of multiple tap points. Some games require two taps at the same time. I'm interested to see where this goes.

The game I have for the Vita is Dungeon Hunters: Alliance. The graphics are pretty good for a handheld, and I'm very happy to see trophies and online multiplayer properly on a Sony portable. Yay Sony.

I took the plunge and picked one up and was pleasantly surprised. Really nice looking system, the screen is stunning, Netflix looks great - Love the fact that there are hundreds of older games already on the Playstation Store. (They have tactics ogre! Yesss.)

As for games, i bought Hot Shots Golf and Lumines - they are both great. I was surprised at how good the visuals are on some of the games. The models in Hot Shots golf look incredible to me. It feels a lot closer to a home gaming experience, and not a 'mobile' one, which is really neat.

Another thing i love is how easy it is to tab out of a game and switch to something else while the game is on pause, you can be playing golf, instantly stop the game and start up a music player or a web browser, and have all 3 going on at once and switch pretty seamlessly between them.

I was kind of busy transferring save data.

Though, thankfully, everything downloads in the background, so it's only transferring save files that you really need to do.

The game I have for the Vita is Dungeon Hunters: Alliance. The graphics are pretty good for a handheld, and I'm very happy to see trophies and online multiplayer properly on a Sony portable. Yay Sony.

How is the game? Is it fun and worth playing? Most of the reviews have called it pretty generic and a ripoff.

How is the game? Is it fun and worth playing? Most of the reviews have called it pretty generic and a ripoff.

It's Ubisoft. What do you want? Lol.

I think it's fun. They could have done better with multiplayer communication (auuugh, where's the mic use, i don't want to bring up a text interface to speak!), but overall it's a good portable. The music is pretty epic, and the 'dungeons' are pretty interesting. I have a forest roadway as one of the dungeons. Blew my mind as it was a dungeon crawler. Good shit! Now if I can only find experienced RPGers to play online with instead of idiots!

I still can't get over the fact that the PSVita has NO internal memory. I mean, come ON, sony! None at all!?

Not only does the 3DS have 1.5G of internal memory, but it also comes with a 2G SD card included! And upgrading is inexpensive: I got a 32G card for $20 for mine, and it's awesome. Meanwhile sony's got the proprietary cards that cost $20 for 4G, and $100 for 32G!

Say what you will about Nintendo, they got this one right.

I still can't get over the fact that the PSVita has NO internal memory. I mean, come ON, sony! None at all!?

Not only does the 3DS have 1.5G of internal memory, but it also comes with a 2G SD card included! And upgrading is inexpensive: I got a 32G card for $20 for mine, and it's awesome. Meanwhile sony's got the proprietary cards that cost $20 for 4G, and $100 for 32G!

Say what you will about Nintendo, they got this one right.

What makes it really bizarre is that the Go had 16G of internal memory, and the additional 16G M2 (also sony proprietary) that I bought for mine cost me less than $20 ('course I know where to get memory cheap so)

it's like they wanted nothing to do with what the Go did, even if it was an improvement

Edited by Gollgagh

What makes it really bizarre is that the Go had 16G of internal memory, and the additional 16G M2 (also sony proprietary) that I bought for mine cost me less than $20 ('course I know where to get memory cheap so)

it's like they wanted nothing to do with what the Go did, even if it was an improvement

They're doing this because they're afraid of piracy on the device, because it basically killed development on the PSP. Assuming that piracy becomes an option on the vita, unsavory people will still need to spend cash-monies on the proprietary cards. It's not consumer-friendly, but the rationale is quite obvious.

I'm running with the assumption that sandisk or some other company will make cheaper cards for it sometime within the next year.

• 1 month later...

I got a PS vita yesterday for my birthday. My PSN ID is tragick. The price of the memory cards have dropped slightly since launch on Amazon, if you buy from a 3rd party seller. I just ordered a 32GB card for $72.00 shipped. It's still highway robbery, but much more tolerable than $99.00

So far I'm pretty impressed with Near, there are 11 Playstation Vita's within 2KM of me, unless I'm somehow misunderstanding how Near works.

everything about it was an improvement minus the fact that it made every game you already had in your library obsolete because you COULDN'T PLAY THEM

buying a new system to play your stored games is great if you can actually store the games you already own on it.

everything about it was an improvement minus the fact that it made every game you already had in your library obsolete because you COULDN'T PLAY THEM

I can feel that argument for the Go since most people wouldn't bother to have a hacked 1000 series lying around for ripping games

but I don't think that that's a good argument for not having the features on the Vita, since the only way you could have a pre-existing library for it is if you brought one from an alternate dimension (limited backwards compatibility nonwithstanding)

Edited by Gollgagh