So I need a noise gate : /

I had an NS-2. Sold it because my amp has a noise gate built in.

I'm confused as to why you are using socks. If you want to kill noise when you aren't playing, roll the volume knob right down on the guitar; that's what you're supposed to do. If you're doing sweeps or something and it's getting noisy, that's all on the muting technique.

What's the sock supposed to do really?

Elaborate moar.

I had an NS-2. Sold it because my amp has a noise gate built in.

I'm confused as to why you are using socks. If you want to kill noise when you aren't playing, roll the volume knob right down on the guitar; that's what you're supposed to do. If you're doing sweeps or something and it's getting noisy, that's all on the muting technique.

What's the sock supposed to do really?

Elaborate moar.

Socks and hair bands kills noise effectivly without using the vol knob (which does not work in killing noise for me)and rolling tone/gain off (imo, hair bands are effective then any gate).

When I do use a vst gate it can do what my hairband and socks do alright, but not to my satifaction and ease.

And for sweeping, I like the strings as loud as possible so It does not sound muted.

-----------------------------------------------------------

that ISP Decimator looks sweet!

Real-time noise gates are about as useful as sustain pedals. If your problem is open strings making sympathetic noise while you play, a NG isn't going to fix that. Learn to mute. If your problem is live noise when you aren't playing, but other band members are playing, also learn to mute if you don't want to use the volume knob. If the problem is pickup noise, get better pickups or cables and aim your guitar away from EM radiation.

If, however, you just want to silence your guitar between string hits while you're recording, a VST NG will do the job live or during mixing just as well. Otherwise it comes down to proper right-hand technique.

Real-time noise gates are about as useful as sustain pedals. If your problem is open strings making sympathetic noise while you play, a NG isn't going to fix that. Learn to mute. If your problem is live noise when you aren't playing, but other band members are playing, also learn to mute if you don't want to use the volume knob. If the problem is pickup noise, get better pickups or cables and aim your guitar away from EM radiation.

If, however, you just want to silence your guitar between string hits while you're recording, a VST NG will do the job live or during mixing just as well. Otherwise it comes down to proper right-hand technique.

everything you are saying is bad

i want you to know this

Everything I said is 100% correct. As Darangen mentioned, perhaps Sonic's issue is a noisy amp, which I had not considered. But that doesn't change a word of what I wrote. As I've been playing guitar since before you were born, I'm sticking by it.

look out we got a badass over here

your experience has taught you wrong, sorry.

edit: played through any high gain amps lately, grandpa? if not, stick to your noiseless fender tweeds.