Humble Bundle Mojam

Didn't see this here, and this shaping up to be quite interesting .

Mojang and the Humble Bundle people are teaming up to do a game jam weekend

http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/15/humble-bundle-mojam/

Just wanted to highlight this:

The highest and lowest voted from each category will be combined for the game. Of course, you’ve always wanted to play a Shoot Em’Up Dating Simulator with a Candy Land World War II theme.

By the way, when did Peter Molyneux become a video game genre? :dstrbd:

I like how they still don't want to actually put Minecraft fully into a 'Bundle

To be fair, they did do a 2 week free trial of Minecraft back during the Humble Bundle 3.

which is pretty close to jamestown.. Kinda.. a bit.

As of this post, Beat 'em up is currently neck and neck with Shoot 'em up for last place.

If it went RTS/Beat 'em up, I could imagine it being in a similar vein as Serious Sam: The Random Encounter or a Fire Emblem derivative (that is without the turn based combat).

More people need to vote for "Shoot'em up" so that "Beat'em up" drops into last place. An RTS/Beat'em Up sounds way more interesting and original than an RTS/Shoot'em Up.

Alternatively, more votes for "Dungeon Crawler" would give us a Dungeon Crawler/Shoot'em Up, which could be fun if not quite as innovative.

Regardless, the Steampunk/Ancient Egypt theme is pretty cool.

They have "First-Person Shooter" and "Shoot'em Up" as separate categories, so I assumed "Shoot'em Up" would be more like Gradius/Contra. So perhaps a roguelike where you find Gradius-style power-ups, for example.

I guess that's basically what The Binding of Isaac is, now that I think about it.

EDIT: Whoops, my bad. I was thinking you meant "Return to Castle Wolfenstein."

so previously, Humble Bundle included fantastic games created by star quality indie devs, discounted for the sake of charity.

Mojang thinks something they throw together in a few days is worth the same attention, (in fact more, because its all by itself)? Really?

Call me uninterested. I'm all for charity, but this demeans the Humble Bundle team's work IMO. Mojang isn't special, as pointed out, they were too good to put their game in the bundles, now they want attention for something they are just throwing together. At least the money is going to charity, supposedly (Mojang doesn't need any more money)

Besides, I dont think they could create anything that isn't half finished and riddled with bugs in that short ammount of time, given their pretty terrible track record

so previously, Humble Bundle included fantastic games created by star quality indie devs, discounted for the sake of charity.

Mojang thinks something they throw together in a few days is worth the same attention, in fact more, because its all by itself? Really?

Call me uninterested. I'm all for charity, but this demeans the Humble Bundle team's work IMO. Mojang isn't special, as pointed out, they were too good to put their game in the bundles, now they want attention for something they are just throwing together. At least the money is going to charity, supposedly (Mojang doesn't need any more money)

Besides, I dont think they could create anything that isn't half finished and riddled with bugs in that short ammount of time, given their pretty terrible track record

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. There's no reason why a Mojang jam game would be anything special, and do have a serious sort of ego complex going on. The one guy in the video who goes "We're live streaming it for sixty hours... Live!" is clearly thinking this is some revolution that only Mojang is capable of. And it's not.

But on the other hand, people honestly seem to care. When Notch did a live stream during one of the Ludum Dare jams, he made headlines. People around the world tuned in to see him work, never mind that the game he made was basically Minecraft again.

So I don't mind Humble Bundle going in on this. I dislike Mojang for their cheap self-promotion, but the Bundle will make a lot more money for charity, which is kind of it's raison d'être. Can't really fault them for it.

Plus: steampunk ancient Egypt? This I want to see.

Anyone else disappointed that "Cooking Mama" wasn't one of the game genre choices?

Also, why aren't we trying to go for a three way tie for last place? As of this post Shoot 'Em Up and Beat 'Em Up both have 4024 votes and Racing Game has 4021 votes.

A Steampunk Ancient Egypt Racing RTS Shoot & Beat 'Em Up would be totally awesome.