Mass Effect 3: Every Dialog Choice Can Be Answered with "Charge"

JackKieser

Yeah, sorry, the ending is pretty much five minutes of "Are you fucking kidding me." Even if you liked where they went with it thematically, it still provides no closure at all and invalidates everything you accomplished.

Pretty much this. I don't have any inherent problem with the choices you're given, but they come out of fucking nowhere. And the lack of any sort of epilogue or explanation of what happens to galactic society as a result of your decision leaves the whole thing feeling unfinished.

WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Besides which, even if they keep to their statement that Mass Effect 3 is the last installment in the game series of Shepard's story arc, they can always change media and make a movie, or books, or something. There's always a way to milk an IP if you really want to.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK (spoilers)

i played me1 three times, me2 four times, and i finished this up on saturday night. roughly 300 hours total in this game.

the writing in this last game was EXQUISITE. the way they resolved the krogan situation, the quarians and geth, the scene and situation on thessia - i have never, ever been more involved in a game's story than i was after that mission, i had to turn off the box afterwards - was just spectacular, transcendent. the prime after the battle on rannoch...just incredible.

and then this GODAWFUL HORRIBLE MAILIN TOTAL TRASH ENDING. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT.

dammit, bioware, TAKE MY MONEY. give me a happy ending dlc. replace the last five minutes with five or ten minutes of the ending from mass effect 1 in the new engine and i'll be happy. jesus h chairfuck mcshitchrist. i can't think of a worse way to end the game. changing the colors of the explosions? really? THAT'S IT? that's my resolution to a zillion hours of gameplay? why does part of my squad end up on the normandy? why was it going through a gate? why didn't joker break any bones? how did they manage to live on happy space garden world paradise in between gates when they got knocked out? why does the catalyst look like that creepy kid? why does shepard have air at the end when they were in space? how are turians and quarians supposed to live on a DNA-based world? how are any of them supposed to survive when all computers have been destroyed (or not destroyed, but they have no gates)? why does none of our decisions through the entire game give me anything good at the end? this ending was shit, and i could have come up with a better one on a cocktail napkin after six cups of everclear. someone DID come up with a better one on a cocktail napkin after six cups of everclear. and then they vomited, and that looked better than this ending.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

how are turians and quarians supposed to live on a DNA-based world?

just for clarification purposes

the turians and quarians are not aliens that are biogically based on something other than DNA; the amino acids that make up the proteins in their DNA sequences are dextro-oriented as opposed to levo-oriented, which refers to the chirality of the molecules themselves

more info can be found here and here

carry on with your justified rage

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK (spoilers)

i played me1 three times, me2 four times, and i finished this up on saturday night. roughly 300 hours total in this game.

the writing in this last game was EXQUISITE. the way they resolved the krogan situation, the quarians and geth, the scene and situation on thessia - i have never, ever been more involved in a game's story than i was after that mission, i had to turn off the box afterwards - was just spectacular, transcendent. the prime after the battle on rannoch...just incredible.

and then this GODAWFUL HORRIBLE MAILIN TOTAL TRASH ENDING. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT.

dammit, bioware, TAKE MY MONEY. give me a happy ending dlc. replace the last five minutes with five or ten minutes of the ending from mass effect 1 in the new engine and i'll be happy. jesus h chairfuck mcshitchrist. i can't think of a worse way to end the game. changing the colors of the explosions? really? THAT'S IT? that's my resolution to a zillion hours of gameplay? why does part of my squad end up on the normandy? why was it going through a gate? why didn't joker break any bones? how did they manage to live on happy space garden world paradise in between gates when they got knocked out? why does the catalyst look like that creepy kid? why does shepard have air at the end when they were in space? how are turians and quarians supposed to live on a DNA-based world? how are any of them supposed to survive when all computers have been destroyed (or not destroyed, but they have no gates)? why does none of our decisions through the entire game give me anything good at the end? this ending was shit, and i could have come up with a better one on a cocktail napkin after six cups of everclear. someone DID come up with a better one on a cocktail napkin after six cups of everclear. and then they vomited, and that looked better than this ending.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

I'm not quite in a rage state about the ending, more of a "not sure what to think" kind of thing. But I agree with you about the writing for the rest of the game. I particularly enjoyed the entire Krogan story. Wrex, Eve, and Mordin all had some very powerful moments.

But yeah, dat ending, I just don't know. Looked up the ones I didn't pick on YouTube since I couldn't be bothered to go through the chat with TIL and godchildthing more than once. I'm fairly torn.

Also on a spoiler-y sidenote, did anyone else happen to not do the bomb mission right away? I wanted to get Tali back in my squad before I did any more side missions, but when I did the bomb exploded because I waited too long. Wrex sent me the most depressing e-mail.

just for clarification purposes

the turians and quarians are not aliens that are biogically based on something other than DNA; the amino acids that make up the proteins in their DNA sequences are dextro-oriented as opposed to levo-oriented, which refers to the chirality of the molecules themselves

more info can be found here and here

carry on with your justified rage

that's what i meant. they can't eat anything on earth without getting sick. avoid the red nuts at the bar, they'll give you cramps. cue crazy bartender slapping verner with a singularity on the ass.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

jordan, i went with mordin as my main sidekick for two playthroughs, since incinerate was so hilariously overpowered last game. the part where he was humming as he was finishing his work in the Shroud had me almost in tears. just so poignant.

and then that batshit bullcrap ending just ruined it. i am so pissed, knowing that subsequent playthroughs will just end in fail and aids.

So what exactly was wrong with the ending? That Sheppard died or that it didn't actually make any sense given the events in the game?

is this an actual question

to be specific, I guess, no the problem is not that shepard dies (because seriously I am fairly certain that was almost certain to happen), it was that the ending is incongruous with the overall narrative and play design of the entire goddamn series

the whole point of the mass effect series was seeing the consequences of choices that you made; the ending is essentially a plot-hole ridden hobson's choice, where all of your choices basically do the same fucking nonsensical thing

Spoiler alert, This is somewhat of a reaction but take it how you will. The ending is not very satisfactory, but I am curious as to how it is "plot hole ridden." I still haven't quite fully taken in the ending, but it reinforced my reaction to the game being "Depression Effect 3." My assumption as to the form that the Catalyst took was to be familiar with Shepard and the player (note the foreshadowing of the nightmare sequences, where Shepard is chasing duct-rat around, culminating with the child being consumed by flame, then later Shepard witnesses him/herself joining the child in a later sequence). The paragon and renegade choices also seem to have massive ramifications for the entire galaxy. Should Shepard choose to assume control over the Reapers, then there is a possibility for the technology to rebuild the mass relays and the Citadel. The renegade option is far darker-- all synthetic life is destroyed, leaving the fleets of the galactic civilization to fend for themselves in our Solar system with very little chance of returning home at "conventional" FTL speeds. I took it to mean that even entities such as EDI would be destroyed when I decided to follow the path of destruction, but I felt that it was the better path. Self-determinism is a very difficult concept and I have been repeatedly impressed by the writing of ME to address such philosophical discussions. I believe it was somewhere in the second game that a character posited that the evolution of galactic civilization was distorted because of the Reaper technology guiding life down a specific path, which was revealed at the end of 2 to be harvesting to create an "ultimate" expression of genetic and synthetic evolution in the Reapers (which reminded me greatly of Lavos, I must add). The Catalyst believed that the Created will always rise against the Creator, and the Quarian/Geth conflict certainly reinforced this belief... Is there any way at all to reconcile the two? I had to replay the Reaper mission on Rannoch because the first time through I chose Legion because I believed that his sentience was important to disseminate among the Geth. In before hurr Tali :roll:, I recall romancing her mostly because she had the most likable/relatable character in the game which made the reality of her suicide all the more numbing. The game is an interactive story that is accompanied by a fun (though sometimes frustrating) cover shooter with an amazingly rich science fiction backdrop.

TL/DR: I'm really interested in whatever is next for the franchise, and I don't really feel like the backlash is necessarily warranted. The ending felt dissatisfying, but it didn't seem nearly as bad as it could have been, and pretty much the entire rest of the game has powerful writing.

dammit, bioware, TAKE MY MONEY. give me a happy ending dlc. replace the last five minutes with five or ten minutes of the ending from mass effect 1 in the new engine and i'll be happy. jesus h chairfuck mcshitchrist. i can't think of a worse way to end the game. changing the colors of the explosions? really? THAT'S IT? that's my resolution to a zillion hours of gameplay? why does part of my squad end up on the normandy? why was it going through a gate? why didn't joker break any bones? how did they manage to live on happy space garden world paradise in between gates when they got knocked out? why does the catalyst look like that creepy kid? why does shepard have air at the end when they were in space? how are turians and quarians supposed to live on a DNA-based world? how are any of them supposed to survive when all computers have been destroyed (or not destroyed, but they have no gates)? why does none of our decisions through the entire game give me anything good at the end? this ending was shit, and i could have come up with a better one on a cocktail napkin after six cups of everclear.

IUnO0.png

Although I am disappointed by the ending, I am invested in the fiction of Commander Shepard and his/her crew (and, subsequently, the universe) and I am receptive to DLC/sequels. The air of condescension and cynicism in those tweets is rather disheartening considering that the series has had some of the strongest story writing with a narrative that is personalized to the player's own experience. I think that the gaming culture at large does nothing but benefit from the successes and failures of the Mass Effect series, what they did right really shines and the flaws help to remind us that there is always room for improvement. Could the ending have been better? I'm pretty sure that the answer is a unanimous yes. But the ending from the other two games could have also been better, too. Or some of the character writing could have been less one dimensional, or more tropes could have been subverted, etc. There really is no need to be so divisive.

Spoiler alert, This is somewhat of a reaction but take it how you will. The ending is not very satisfactory, but I am curious as to how it is "plot hole ridden."

here's one of many examples; why was Joker in warp when the Mass Relays were exploding, when he was supposed to be flying around Earth fighting Reaper ships?

Yeah, that confused me greatly and is one of the big sticking points I have with the ending. While it's kinda sad that monetizing IP is generally more important to the publisher than resolving story problems, I'm sure there will be material that explains more on that later (probably for BioWare points but I'll take what I can get). I also wasn't very impressed by the sequel baiting at the very end because my expectation was that this is the end of the Shepard legacy. Maybe I should watch some videos of the ending sequence because so far my only exposure is from my first playthrough and memory is not always the best vector for formulating responses.

The air of condescension and cynicism in those tweets is rather disheartening considering that the series has had some of the strongest story writing with a narrative that is personalized to the player's own experience.

I don't deny that Mass Effect has had some "interesting" writing, but I'd hardly consider what I've seen out of this new game the best. And, considering that no matter what decisions you've made seem to have no impact on the ending, I think the other decisions in the other games are rather moot. It was more or less intentional since the game took more of a shooter route to get those who play Gears or Modern Warfare to pick it up not that I have anything against those games.

I think that the gaming culture at large does nothing but benefit from the successes and failures of the Mass Effect series, what they did right really shines and the flaws help to remind us that there is always room for improvement. Could the ending have been better? I'm pretty sure that the answer is a unanimous yes. But the ending from the other two games could have also been better, too. Or some of the character writing could have been less one dimensional, or more tropes could have been subverted, etc. There really is no need to be so divisive.

The main point of that tweet is to get people to freaking wake up. By petitioning, all these people are doing is telling EA that they're open to getting more DLC to screw them over.

And knowing EA, they'll charge a premium for it, let alone do even worse things with it.

The best way for all these people who hate EA to listen to them is quite simple. Don't play their games, DON'T PIRATE THEM, don't buy them, don't talk about them.

But, seeing how most companies react to low sales, they'll find some excuse NOT related to customer dissatisfaction.

...You people are looking at the endings in the wrong light.

Not that i can blame you.

I'm willing to bet everyone on here (myself included) Wanted the parade through the hall of heros in NYC, a celebration to rival the end of the emperor in star wars. Shepard being named to the council or ruler of humanity. There are a number of endings people expected.

But all of this being said. This was PERFECT for what Bioware has its sights set on.

There's going to be DLC probably good DLC. However that isnt what this opens up. IF you roll all the way through the credits there's a tidbit at the end that opened up my eyes. I cant be sure who was talking. For a second i thought it might have been an Old Shepard. Find out for yourself.

However:

We should all keep a very close eye on how TOR does. Especially if it recoups its investment. If it passes that mark, on its current model this will be a tipping point. (if this has already happened.....well)

Bioware is going to push for an MMO set in the ME universe and These endings are PERFECT for a timeskip setup into that. A true clean break from the Shepard plotline allowing them to write something entirely new. This was in the sense of what comes next. Inspired. Its not the ending any of us wanted i bet. But its the setup for something even BIGGER.

It is a shame in the sense i wanted that parade. But man i gotta say. I never saw THAT coming.

Bioware is going to push for an MMO set in the ME universe and These endings are PERFECT for a timeskip setup into that. A true clean break from the Shepard plotline allowing them to write something entirely new. This was in the sense of what comes next. Inspired. Its not the ending any of us wanted i bet. But its the setup for something even BIGGER.

Even if that's true, just because an ending is perfect for setting up a sequel doesn't mean it's a good ending. Hell, they could have put the pieces in place for a "clean slate" MMO by saying "And then the Crucible turned everyone into elves and dwarves and transported them to an alternate dimension resembling medieval England", but it still would have been ridiculous.

And I'd still have preferred it because at least it would have been entertainingly ridiculous and contained fewer plotholes than what actually happened.

It is a shame in the sense i wanted that parade. But man i gotta say. I never saw THAT coming.

I doubt Bioware's ability to sustain two MMORPGs at the same time.