A quick copyright question

The Legendary Zoltan

Oh yeah. I forgot that I mention Bahamut and Excalibur, too. Although, those two are from mythology and history, so nevermind about them.

It's GOT to be OK. FF Tactics is a Japanese game so I'd assume that puts me more at risk than less. I tried to search for whether or not the band, Blind Guardian has to pay for Lord of the Rings rights but couldn't find anything. That band constantly drops names. They have a song entitle "Mordred's Song" and even "Lord of the Rings". They are famous, so it is quite possible that they can afford the rights.

Oh yeah. I forgot that I mention Bahamut and Excalibur, too. Although, those two are from mythology and history, so nevermind about them.

It's GOT to be OK. FF Tactics is a Japanese game so I'd assume that puts me more at risk than less. I tried to search for whether or not the band, Blind Guardian has to pay for Lord of the Rings rights but couldn't find anything. That band constantly drops names. They have a song entitle "Mordred's Song" and even "Lord of the Rings". They are famous, so it is quite possible that they can afford the rights.

I highly doubt that there is a copyright issue. Many artists have made music about copyrighted content. The copyright isn't on a name, but on the work itself. There are nuances of course to this, but having the same name isn't enough to be a problem - many bands make songs with the same name for example. I don't think referring to a work is necessarily a copyright violation either. There's a band named Hobbit for example.

Of course I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I can tell you wouldn't be in violation there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAay9nPtOU

this is an actual song by an actual band

sooo yeah. you really don't have to worry about it.

Well, this was originally featured on an official Nintendo-licensed compilation, so they had permission, I'm sure.

CHIPP should be fine, regardless. There's all sorts of music out there that mentions brand names or names of things from other media.

You'd only suffer legal action if these 2 conditions were met:

(1) The music became very popular

(2) The usage of the names or ideas from Tactics made the things mentioned "look bad"

Number 1 will happen yo. ^_^

Number 2 is not happening.

The exact lines are:

"Murder and theft are commonplace throughout the streets of Ivalice."

"Hit 'em with the Bahamut."

"The knights are unleashed. Face the Hokuten!"

Depends on the country I guess, but i'm 95% sure that it wouldn't be a problem in the UK because names and titles aren't deemed unique or important enough to consider copyright. Can't say about it for other countries, but it seems a bit stupid tbh, I bet you could make names and titles out of any combination of words these days. You could always google it if you weren't sure.