Majora's Mask Opera/Musical Idea

MangaMan

This is by no means an actual project...yet. This is just me throw out the idea. I've been noticing for a while, here on OC Remix that there is a lack of songs with lyrics. Now I know it's understandable given that the original materials didn't have lyrics and I know that we do have remixes on this site that have lyrics, I'm just saying. Being a singer myself, I thought that it would be interesting and fun to take a video games soundtrack and put lyrics too it. That being said: Majora's Mask. Out of all the Legend of Zelda games, this one has the greatest potential for lyric writing. Not only that but there isn't that many Majora's Mask remixes so this is a win win already. The idea I had was to tell the story of Majora's Mask in the style of a Musical/Opera. The interesting thing about Majora's Mask is that it doesn't really have a Main story, but rather all of it's side stories paints not only the overall story but the world that young Link is in. This is also one of the few times that the setting is not Hyrule. We have potentially 4 different parts of this world to sing about: Clock Town, Zora's Domain, Goron's Domain, and the Deku Nut Kingdom. Each one of these area's houses huge casts of characters, each with there own problem that Link helps solve. Each one of these characters could have a voice in the Musical. The only problem that I see with this is that it would be a very large project to do. If we could focus just on the major story arcs, then maybe that could help. Plus I know that there are a lot of singers here on the site just waiting to shine.

This is still just an idea and at the moment I have no real plan for it but I thought I would just throw it out there and ask what other people thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a music student (classical vocalist, as it were), and I've been bouncing an idea like this around quite a bit. I never got to play Majora's Mask back in the day, but the few snippets of music I have heard from it definitely supports the lyrical qualities necessary to write vocal music with it. If you ever find the people to get this going, send me a message. I know a ton of vocalists who love Zelda (and have already performed some via Video Games Live in New Orleans) who would be ecstatic to do something like this.

ah, how funny is timing. i am both an aspiring writer and vocalist, plus i dabble in piano and, more recently, violin. i also have a number of close friends who are vocalists, and can throw my voice to sound like different(ish) people (or races, as the case may be). needless to say, i'm all for this as a project. i have found it frustrating that ocr is lacking mm remixes AND vocal mixes. you have my vote :)!!

I am a music student (classical vocalist, as it were), and I've been bouncing an idea like this around quite a bit. I never got to play Majora's Mask back in the day, but the few snippets of music I have heard from it definitely supports the lyrical qualities necessary to write vocal music with it. If you ever find the people to get this going, send me a message. I know a ton of vocalists who love Zelda (and have already performed some via Video Games Live in New Orleans) who would be ecstatic to do something like this.

Welcome to the team!

ah, how funny is timing. i am both an aspiring writer and vocalist, plus i dabble in piano and, more recently, violin. i also have a number of close friends who are vocalists, and can throw my voice to sound like different(ish) people (or races, as the case may be). needless to say, i'm all for this as a project. i have found it frustrating that ocr is lacking mm remixes AND vocal mixes. you have my vote :)!!

Welcome to the team!

just a word choice thing. opera might scare some vocalists away: it's rather difficult and has a propensity to be potentially boring. i would recommend the use of the word "operetta," as it's...less well known. some well known operettas are (all by tim rice and andrew lloyd webber) Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat, Evita, and Jesus Christ superstar. the latter is considered a rock opera. simply food for thought :mrgreen: