GDC (Game Developers Conference) 2012 - San Francisco meetup?

Mechanized_Angel

Sorry to digress there, but no one pays any attention to anything I write unless they're thinking I'm bashing LGBT or thinking I'm calling them a thief when I have photographic evidence that, despite the fact you're a respected moderator on a major website, you clearly can't READ - so its all good. :)

Really, a potshot at me years later for your poor attitude and lack of true apology for what was your fault the whole way through? You were given the chance to rectify it and you instead wanted to continue to act like I wanted to steal your money when you had the item.

Grow up.

Same here. lol

You mean you plan to apply for police too if all else fails? Cool. I personally would go with municipal police....not the RCMP

anyway,

If I wanted to go to this thing, it would be to meet people.

Not to hand out resumes and look for work. You don't make friends by asking for work.

Yeah. I think a good way of approaching it would be to just be friendly and socialize with people. Then after you've talked for awhile bring up the fact that you're a musician (or whatever). I think they would prefer that rather than the less "subtle" approach most people use. Which is throwing your resume/portfolio directly at them and asking (begging) for work lol.

My point is, GDC is most likely for fun and not useful unless you're a music or programming wizard and you're already lucky enough getting industry work. I can't verify this personally until I can afford to do it myself, and that day when I do, I'm going to go there, unwashed, in as little clothing as I can legally wear, lipstick and mascara, apply for as many jobs as humanly possible - so then when I pay more than $1200 to get rejected, I will at least have earned it. Nothing pisses me off more than knowing I did everything right and bought everything I needed to still fail and that's been my career outside my day job for 10 years.

This is part of my "Dreams Do Not Come True" initiative for my generation. I'm turning my experience/failure into realistic reinforcement for struggling and surprisingly-naive-for-really-intelligent members of my generation who just don't know whats good for them, godbless'em. Our generation was cursed with over-abundant unearned confidence building in our infancy and now we just can't accept it when someone tells us "We don't want you. No one wants you. If we want a composer, we know what we want already and where to find them. It's called Google. Oh, you spent a shitload of money on stuff you suck at? So does everyone else. Go cry somewhere else you fuckin' aspie retard."

Someone actually sent me something to that effect once... and it's still not the worst rejection I've received. :P

Sorry to digress there, but no one pays any attention to anything I write unless they're thinking I'm bashing LGBT or thinking I'm calling them a thief when I have photographic evidence that, despite the fact you're a respected moderator on a major website, you clearly can't READ - so its all good. :)

I don't think your attitude is too far from the truth... people do often have overly-optimistic views of their chances at success in the entertainment business. That being said, GDC is primarily a place to make friendships. As a composer, there are few 'open calls' for music so if you want gigs, you need to meet people and network organically. I definitely do not agree with the notion that you need to be successful already for this to work. Some of my most valuable connections are through people I met and became friends with before any of us were successful.

You mean you plan to apply for police too if all else fails? Cool. I personally would go with municipal police....not the RCMP

anyway,

Yeah. I think a good way of approaching it would be to just be friendly and socialize with people. Then after you've talked for awhile bring up the fact that you're a musician (or whatever). I think they would prefer that rather than the less "subtle" approach most people use. Which is throwing your resume/portfolio directly at them and asking (begging) for work lol.

Lol yeh should have elaborated on the career thing. I went to university to get a more promising career and figured down the road I'll be able to do what I want. So here I am lol.

Well I know at GDC it's crazy, they have booths with HR people setup and really really long lines of people just having their work looked at. So to say people begging for work, dunno if this makes sense but they kind of facilitate people looking for work. I know the career pavellion is like 1/3 of the floor, it's huge!

But I do agree with you, you only get one shot at a first impression and shoving a resume in someones face isn't the best approach lol.

Lol yeh should have elaborated on the career thing. I went to university to get a more promising career and figured down the road I'll be able to do what I want. So here I am lol.

Well I know at GDC it's crazy, they have booths with HR people setup and really really long lines of people just having their work looked at. So to say people begging for work, dunno if this makes sense but they kind of facilitate people looking for work. I know the career pavellion is like 1/3 of the floor, it's huge!

But I do agree with you, you only get one shot at a first impression and shoving a resume in someones face isn't the best approach lol.

Oh.

Well I just thought of a good suggestion on the music thing. A good thing to do is make fan work and share it with the companies, but don't flat out say "you should hire me to write music for you." Do that, and you'll look like just another desperate composer. I used this "fan work" approach with my Tomb Raider theme and the community manager actually passed it along to the audio team. Which is no doubt further than someone emailing them and asking to write music for them would get.

What I'm saying is, another way of going about it would be to politely share your work with them for fun. They'll probably be much more open to it that way and if they really, realllllly like it....maybe they'll call back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to post this here since it's GDC, but is anyone else kind of annoyed with Phil Fish?

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/10/fez-creator-gamers-are-the-worst-fing-people/

I mean, I think Fez looks pretty sweet, but this guy seems to be running his mouth a lot. I think he is being way too abrasive and while I wasn't annoyed at first, now I'm not so sure I want to support his game...

GDC was awesome! Got to hobnob with all sorts of industry pros, got to hang with Mirby and chatted with Zircon. I saw Virt and his crazy hair but didn't get the chance to say hi.

Oh man I wish I checked OCR while i was down there! Would have liked to have run into people...

I found I spent more time networking at the bars with industry rather then the expo floor lmafo.