OCR Big Band *NOW ACCEPTING ARRANGEMENTS* *NEED TROMBONES*

Wiesty

gotta agree with fratto and youtube - perhaps someone coud do a better performance but THAT melody is such a sung melody - it sounds like it needs words so much! I say scrap the scat and lets write some massive cheese and get someone to sing it.

Yeah, I just meant if properly executed it could be cool. But, yes yes yes, massive cheesy vocals are 100% the way to go like I've been saying the whole time :mrgreen:

The comments are probably because it's kinda bad and extremely out of tune on every sustained note. Not to piss in your cereal or anything.

Looking forward to playing some big band!

In my defense, I only arrange this stuff! The scat solo was a big surprise to me when I got the recording. I haven't been able to get a band on my own so any recording I have is an outside group.

I sang some Frank Sinatra stuff in the past, though I'm pretty self conscious about my voice :< Still I'll consider something like that. Heck I'd like to try my hand at arranging something for this here band, but it will probably take a while before I do get anything concrete.

Still, this sounds awesome and I just wanna say that I'm at least very interested in this :D

1. HA HA HA HA Haaaa ha, i dunno but for some reason that scatting reminds me of Goku. specifically Team Fourstar-esque Goku.

naw, the arrangement is still killer though. i just wasn't expecting that kind of scatting.

2. man, i 've had a super old-school duke ellington-style big band arrangement for this ---->

for the longest time, but I can't notate stuff and I don't have the patience to understand programs like Finale or Sibelius (yeah, i know... :oops:). i'm currently busy spending time with the fam and working extra hours for a short while, but later this fall I'd love to work with somebody to get the idea transcribed. :puppyeyes:

3. dafuq.... C7 is on board? brb.

*runs over trumpet many times and sets it ablaze*

also, i think i have an old-school tambourine lying around somewhere, so if any arrangement calls for it i'm just throwing it out there.

2. man, i 've had a super old-school duke ellington-style big band arrangement for this ---->

for the longest time, but I can't notate stuff and I don't have the patience to understand programs like Finale or Sibelius (yeah, i know... :oops:). i'm currently busy spending time with the fam and working extra hours for a short while, but later this fall I'd love to work with somebody to get the idea transcribed. :puppyeyes:

3. dafuq.... C7 is on board? brb.

*runs over trumpet many times and sets it ablaze*

2: Maybe some day I can get the time to help you with that.

3: Bahaha don't do that! I'll be lonely on trumpet by myself!

• 1 month later...

So I'm a little curious how the arrangement submission process works? I have an old big band arrangement that I've been cleaning up lately and would love to have people record parts for. I'm not sure I would need participation from everyone in the band though, so I'm not sure if this would be the most appropriate vehicle for getting my arrangement recorded. Like, do you guys only accept arrangements for the entire group to participate or just parts? For example, I've already spoken with C7 (he's recorded stuff for me in the past) and he was on board to record trumpet for me. In addition to him, I would need maybe 1 more trumpet for some additional stuff, and then definitely an alto or tenor sax (preferably both) and a trombonist. Live bass would be great, but not necessarily. Piano and percussion I already have taken care of myself, although I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what others could do with it.

As for submitting an arrangement itself, is it best to just send to Wiesty directly or post here? Also, what format is best? I don't have sheet music or anything written out... When I've had C7 record stuff for me in the past, I just sent him a MIDI of his part and then an mp3 of the song minus his part, so you could drop both in a DAW and use that as a basis for recording. Would MIDI parts be sufficient for arrangement purposes here? Different instrument parts would need to be transposed, of course.

Let me know what you guys think. I can provide more detail if necessary, just let me know. Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm new here but I've been playing the trumpet for quite a few a years now and would really like to join in on your project here! I recently graduated university with a degree in Jazz Performance. I sent you a PM with a few links of tracks on my SoundCloud that I feel give an appropriate estimation of my playing!

Thanks for your consideration

-majorjazzman

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked this thread in a while; looks like we're moving, albeit slowly. We need more bones!

A few days ago Shinra Shuffle came up in my playlist for the first time. If you haven't heard it yet, you need to: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01847/ It's basically what I envisioned Wiesty talking about, and that makes me love the idea even more.

I have an idea for a big band ballad arrangement (if you've played big band stuff before you know exactly what I mean) for Eyes on Me. If I ever get around to it, I'll jot it down and see what we can do with it.

I'm really curious how this is going to work with 17 people recording on different equipment, but Im still all for it. Keep recruiting! BONES! WE NEED BONES!

Oh, and if you want to give me like 1500 dollars, I've always wanted to buy a bari sax....

I've got some better recording ability. Bought a mobile pre and borrowed a ribbon from a buddy. Got six tracks going without too much background noise.

Recorded a bone version of Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis for Sign Guy Records. I played five trombone parts and sang. Some of the really screaming lead parts needed some autotune, but I think it sounds much better than the previous noisy recordings. Check it out.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if I'm digging up an old thread.

A "big band thread" was pointed out to me and I'm hoping this is the one they were referring to!

As spotted either on my profile or in my welcome post, I play trombone for a our local brass ensemble and I've just joined a Symphony Orchestra.

If you are still looking for trombone players, I'd be happy to help out!

The only recording of me playing on the web can be found on my YouTube channel... http://youtu.be/tXaFTiFD7KI

About the 'more bones' thing, I am actually becoming a fairly versed player. My tonguing speed kinda sucks and I can't fluttertongue to save my life, but my range is pretty good for having played for less than a year and I know quite a bit about music theory. I would audition, but as it stands, until I can get a better mic than my SM57 for brass recording, I can't record brass well.

That said, if I ever get better equipment, I would love to audition! So know that one definitely wants to play.