OCRA-0005 - Doom: The Dark Side of Phobos

Navi

I now know that there isn't any justice in the world. A few days after this project has been released and only one has made it to the front page. A true tragedy.

Anyhow this has been an awesome project. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to personally thank all who contributed. I've been waiting months and months for it to be released and the wait has been worth every single nanosecond. Thanks again.

TheGlassMoon[e1m8] is probably my favorite track, due in part because of the vivid memory of my first time playing that level. I remember tearing through the two hordes of pink demons, only to rise up an elevator and find myself before two ominous-looking pillars, thinking "What the fuck is..."

And then the two Barons of Hell stroll out, and I bugged the fuck OUT. Scary moment for a 12-year-old.

Damn! What an awesome project. My special thanks to all for their great work. I listened to it all at 3 am, and I enjoyed it greatly. I can tell an incredible amount of work was put into this project, both in managing, production and composition. My personal favorite is "The Chemical Imps", partially for the equalization and overall sound and of course the composition, but also because that was one of my favorite themes in Doom(M?). And that was just one of them, they all seemed to blend together in my mind to make one of the better compilations I've heard. This just made my whole month. Fantastic.

It has such an amateurish spark, raw enthusiasm, I love that about it, reminds me of my golden early teen writing days. Long live young mixers!

Thanks gramps, but most of these mixers aren't so young.

Uh, I'm 17, the best tracks to me sounded kind of unprofessional, experimentative, which is what I liked about them.

You sure sounded nostalgic in your original post, then. :wink:

It has such an amateurish spark, raw enthusiasm, I love that about it, reminds me of my golden early teen writing days. Long live young mixers!

Uh, I'm 17, the best tracks to me sounded kind of unprofessional, experimentative, which is what I liked about them.

Well I used to be a pretty good writer, but mainly since the loss of my fantasy novel almost four years ago; mix of anime/videogames/movies and such; which I'd been working on all through year 8, I haven't been able to write much since. I'm still saving up to see if I can have it recovered from the hard drive, it occured to me about a year or so ago that I could try and have it recovered seeing as my writing was getting worse and this could boost my confidence a lot.

Well I used to be a pretty good writer, but mainly since the loss of my fantasy novel almost four years ago; mix of anime/videogames/movies and such; which I'd been working on all through year 8, I haven't been able to write much since. I'm still saving up to see if I can have it recovered from the hard drive, it occured to me about a year or so ago that I could try and have it recovered seeing as my writing was getting worse and this could boost my confidence a lot.

I was being ironic in my post by calling you gramps. I know you're still a kid. The point was more that whether you think they sound professional or not doesn't really matter.

I was being ironic in my post by calling you gramps. I know you're still a kid. The point was more that whether you think they sound professional or not doesn't really matter.

There was debate on the Doomworld boards though about the quality of the remixing and how some people thought it was sloppy or amateurish, but I think while obviously not at professional recording studio level, it was a very good tribute by Doom fans.

TheGlassMoon[e1m8] is probably my favorite track, due in part because of the vivid memory of my first time playing that level. I remember tearing through the two hordes of pink demons, only to rise up an elevator and find myself before two ominous-looking pillars, thinking "What the fuck is..."

And then the two Barons of Hell stroll out, and I bugged the fuck OUT. Scary moment for a 12-year-old.

Yeah, the Bruiser Brothers scared the crap out of me aswell, and I was...what, must of been about 8...

The only track I liked, ultimately, was "Ghost of Mars". Granted, I only played through most of them once, didn't pay close attention on a lot, but... yea. That was the only one which struck me, I suppose.

I should also note that I wasn't fond of the Kirby project or Sonic 2 one either. In fact, I think the last one I liked was the... Duck Hunt one. Heh. It's probably due to the fact that now that compilations have caught on, the remixers involved with them tend to be lesser-known (and not as good).. yea.

Hello there. This is a very impressive collection, well done! Very creative interpretations of the original midi's some of us fell in love with all those years ago. Props to you all. Cheers.

Bart Klepka

Bart, glad to hear from you and glad that you like the collection. I find that wherever the DSoP goes, your name inevitably pops up. Nice to hear that you liked it!

PS: PLZ MAKE MORE INDY FATE OF ATLANTIS REMIXES. I CAN ONLY LISTEN TO CRETE (DREAM MIX) SO MUCH.

Yeah! All this praise from people is jawesome! I've even gottn some fan mail on my piece... which is super hardcore good! Yay! Now time for some thoughts!

Welcome to Hell: Good moody intro.. nuff said.

Hangarmageddon: Great rock cover.

The Red Moon: Yay! I love this type music. Great stuff.

Industrial Strength: Sounds terrible. This guy totally missed the point of this song.

Mystery Meat: This song really imporved from the demo that I heard last. Sounds really, really good. Especially that intro.

The Leaning Tower of Babel: Whoa, I was toatally surprised by this one. Horde really made a great sound mix.

Reprocessed: Beatdrops style totally took this song to the next level. Great Industrial type sounds.

Ghosts of Mars: Great ambience. Though for some reason I prefer the older versions. Still a great listen!

The Chemical Imps: Good song. I likedededed it.

Demon Con Gusto: Nice chilled back groove to give the album a nice contrast.

This Can't Be Good: Nice trance feeling this song has.

Jade Spawn: I really liked this song. Fitting end of the albums first disc. One of my favorites.

Intermission: I like monkeys... *throws poo*

Infiltrator: Good song. Nice tribal feel. Guitar & synth usage really made this a unique song.

Infected Lab: More break beatish action! Excellent.

Secrets and Lies: A bit slow, but it has it's moments. Especially those ominous twinks towards the end.

The Glass Moon: Again, I'm biased with this type of songs. Lovd it!

Ocean Pollen: Another nice chill groove interlude. I really enjoyed this song. Especially 2:40-3:25. Greatbgreat great.

Aria of the Damned: Although this song wasn't my speed, I liked it. The live vocals really made this shine.

Iron Cathedral: Bias yet again! Great great great. The only complaint I have is that it's too short.

The Dark Side of Phobos: My favorite song from the album. Dang good orchestration. And that piano towards the end... woooh. Beautiful.

Darkness Dawning: Great minimal instumentation combined with superb opera-like singing... good stuff!

ElectroCute Bunny: I really loved the intro. The rest was great too, but that intro.. man. Pretty good maing.

All in all... I think it's great. Whether it bias because I'm on the album or not... I like it. And about sounding like good 80's synth stuff... I take it as a compliment seeing as I got the feeling that DooM's original score was structured like a good John Carpenter movie score. At least that was my impression.

Darkness Dawning: Great minimal instumentation combined with superb opera-like singing... good stuff!

Errrr, I think you might have confused Darkness Dawning with Aria of the Damned...? The "opera-like" singing is in Hemo and I's track. Unless you think growling goth is opera-like... :P

By the way, I loved Industrial Strength. One of my top 5 favorites of the album. ^_^