OCRA-0005 - Doom: The Dark Side of Phobos

Navi

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to comment on this yet, so here's my comment now: This whole remix project is full of kick-assitude.

From the classic remix of E1M1, the jazzy style of "Leaning Tower of Babel", the Imp-like sounds I somehow hear in "Jade Spawn", and the inutterable doom that seems to pervade "Aria of the Damned", and "Iron Cathedral", it all builds up to the finale of the final three pieces. A nigh-impossible fight told by DSoP, the moment when all hope is soon lost in Darkness Dawning, and the unexpected, bittersweet victory that Electrocute Bunny seems to tell of, almost as if our hero beat the odds, but still kinda lost.

Can't wait to see the Doom II remix project, in fact. Keep it up, all of you. This one's been my favorite "soundtrack" ever since it came out, and the next one is sure to be even better.

• 1 month later...

I found this today and as a Doom fan it was a must download. This thing blew my mind. Awesome work, people.

And here I come to a little dilemma.. I listened a little bit too many times the end text song, Elsa Persson, Larsec - Darkness Dawning. I don't know why or how, but it just gives me the creeps, every time. And I mean like shivers and all! Every time. I should sleep, but I don't really feel like doing so.. not with lights out anyway.. heh, like I said, awesome stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats for getting this project done. I've given most of the material a quick listen, and it sounds pretty damn good. Haven't really had time to properly delve into the material, due to lack of time.. which brings me to..

Some of you might remember me as the guy that kicked off this project. However, at one point quite early on in I basically dissappeared. I want to publicly apologise here for doing that. Life got in the way, basically. I had my finals in school, which took up nearly all my time, then I had study for an entrance test to another school. After that, there was my compulsory military service, which I'm still doing (since July.. only about a month and a half left, woo). Due to all that, I haven't even logged in here for like a year or something like that.

Back then, I just didn't have the time or the energy to read all the posts in the original thread, to respond to everything, to listen to people's WIPs and comment, to handle all the management for the project. So I sort of stopped coming to the forums, daunted by the ever growing mountain of posts and material I'd have to go through. :roll: Next time I logged in, the project had been taken over by.. myf? Mythril Nazgul, right? Anyway, I want to thank him for doing that. To see this project fail due to my inadequacy to lead it would've been.. dissappointing.

Great job, guys. And again, I truly am sorry for not having been a man and admitting that I'm not the one to lead this project. I should've let you all know, and to pass on the torch. But I didn't. I hope you don't hate me for it.

EDIT: Oh, and two more things I forgot to add. I didn't make it clear that I don't pretend to be in anyway responsible for the outcome of the project.. er, what I mean is, I don't want any credit. But that's obvious. The other thing was that this project has been mentioned in MikroBitti, which is Finland's leading PC / technology magazine. I don't have a pic, but it's in the monthly "recommended links" section. Maybe one of the other Finns here can provide a pic.

no worries klm. You got me hooked on Katatonia's music, so can't be displeased with you. ;)

Probably not the style of music you were hoping for with the turnout, but the project did turn out pretty well anyway.

Awesome! :) They have a new album coming out soon (as you probably know), the single My Twin sounds pretty good IMO.

Speaking of how I envisioned the project turning out, yes, the outcome is much less adrenaline drenched - I was thinking something like hard-industrial-death-metal-gabber, distortion on everything, that sort of thing. Maybe it's for the better that it was not to be.. you make the call. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, i was thinking the same thing. :lol:

I've been watching the DL counter for a while now. When we got close to being the most downloaded project, all of a sudden KiC started shooting up. I just thought it was a bit funny.

Well, now we're the most downloaded site project, with 13,162 downloads from the torrent alone.

Nice work, guys. :D We keep on truckin.

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to say I inserted this album into Doom on using the Doomsday engine. Unlike the Street Fighter 2 album, this one doesn't work that well when placed into it's own game. Oh well. It's fun.

Well Street Figher is a fast paced game, where one battle can be done quickly. Doom (no matter if Foom 1 or Doom 2) on the other hand is a "long lasting game". Also "Dark Side of Phobos" was written to tell a story (same with Chrono Symphonic) rather than being eery BGM for the game.

That's also the reason the tracks are shuffled, rather than in the order of the missions. And this makes most of the OCR projects (esp. RotC, DSoP, CS) so special.

Just wanted to say I inserted this album into Doom on using the Doomsday engine. Unlike the Street Fighter 2 album, this one doesn't work that well when placed into it's own game. Oh well. It's fun.

... you can do that with Doomsday?

There's a script you can download from the doomsday site that replaces the ingame music with scripted mp2's that Prince released (can be found at doomworld.) You can edit the file to change the paths of the songs and replace them with the ones from DSoP.

I agree with compyfox in that the project was mastered to flow properly, so the tracks don't really work as looping background music in the game. (eg: e1m1 sports a long fade-in intro from the opener track.) If we released all the tracks individually, then it might work better in game. As it is, some of the tracks were made to slot straight into the game (ie: Jade Spawn, as I tried to make it fit the ambient-music context of the PSX version, while retaining the melody.)

Well Street Figher is a fast paced game, where one battle can be done quickly. Doom (no matter if Foom 1 or Doom 2) on the other hand is a "long lasting game". Also "Dark Side of Phobos" was written to tell a story (same with Chrono Symphonic) rather than being eery BGM for the game.

That's also the reason the tracks are shuffled, rather than in the order of the missions. And this makes most of the OCR projects (esp. RotC, DSoP, CS) so special.

Yeah I understand. Theres already much better suited remixed Doom albums out there that are easy to install into doomsday.