Sonic - Green Hill Zone - "Where It All Began"

DusK

CURRENT VERSION: http://soundcloud.com/itstartsatdusk/where-it-all-began-super-shoes/s-681HG

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while since Generation Gap released, and after mulling it over for a while, I decided I might submit the Green Hill Zone remix from it.

Source:

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/itstartsatdusk/where-it-all-began-sonic-1

Crits away!

Typing as I listen:

Intro starts at full blast, which is ideal for a song like this.

I like how it pulls back slightly (in the leads) when the main melody (as opposed to the intro) begins.

I just gave a critique on how an arrangement needed to be filled out. This definitely doesn't have that problem. Even when things aren't full blast 0:58, everything sounds appropriately filled it regarding instrumentation / parts.

The second full take of the melody 1:28 works well played slightly straighter -- hoping for a nice solo section following...

...and it doesn't last long enough! At 1:40 I was really looking to hear a full on guitar solo and was let down. It definitely sounds like you have the chops for it and would fill out the arrangement nicely.

What you have here is really good, but adding in a nice solo would make it great. The overall soundscape here is very good -- I'm digging both the individual sounds and the way they mesh together nicely to keep us listening along. In short: I am greedy and want more of what you're doing -- a pretty good review, I'd say :P

And now the 503rd remix of Green Hill...

Nice rock recreation of the classic intro stage. Perhaps too close. As Bardic mentioned, the solo was WAY too short, and the remix in general is pretty conservative. I could see the judges pounding you for this.

I think your instruments and your mixing were well done, but then again I have crappy headphones...

• 2 months later...