OCR01386 - Chrono Cross "To Times Once Forgotten"

djpretzel

It took a while to progress to a point where I enjoyed listening to it (which happened at around 1:40 or so, not sure on exact time), slow introductions are usually a killer for orchestras (the bad kind of killer), but other than that I really dig this. I don't know about you guys, but it sounds very incomplete at the end.. did anyone else notice?

Very nicely done. Many of the samples were used effectively, and the overall feel was definitely cinematic. It’s highly rhythmically driven, rather than harmonically, but it works perfectly in this context (man, that’s a lot of adverbs.)

I wouldn’t say the library you used creates the most pleasant legato string passages, but I can appreciate how you’ve taken advantage of what useful sounds you did have in order to emulate an orchestra to as close as what is possible these days. Good job.

• 1 year later...

He went a very different route from the last mix of his I reviewed at the start, but he loops back around, and brings the Harpsichord back in for a brief period. It remains throughout, but unlike in Reminiscence of Feelings, it doesn't become the focus of the song. Instead, the brass takes over, giving this mix a Wagnerian feel for a period. It reminds me of the great multi act operas that the great composers used to put together. There's a demarcation between the songs mixed, but not enough to throw of the pacing of the song as whole. Excellent work.

• 3 months later...
Excellent piece. Convincing as all get-out. Congrats on making a solid medley arrangement that ACTUALLY brings the games together as opposed to smushing them into the same samplepack. You're an artiste of a very high caliber.

I really agree with this - really cohesive work! It doesn't feel like a mash-up at all; while all of the pieces were different, you still gave them a feeling that they fit together, which is really epic.

Awesome patches and samples, solid production... yeah! I love this, amazing work!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had this remix in my playlist for a long time now, and it wasn't until recently that I actually took a good listen to it, and I must say I am highly impressed. The arrangement is very well done with mostly seamless transitions. The layering of instruments is also very good.

I think this remix has taught me that I should probably take the time to give a more thorough listen to other mixes that didn't immediately jump out at me the first couple of listens. There's a lot going on in this piece, and while it may not be the type of song that you might enjoy when your focus is on another task, when you give it your attention it really shines.

• 2 months later...

Man, man, man, maaaaan. This is crazy good. Vampire Hunter Dan is GOD of orchestral remixes. That is all. While others contest with some success, they nevertheless succumb to the volatile levels of awesomeness of mixes like this one.

An amazing ballet of intertwining Mitsuda melodies. And always extremely rich and interesting; there's always some sort of background magic happening if you really pay attention, the same as in great classical music.

This mix is one of the most rewarding and beautiful pieces on OCR and Vampire Hunter Dan is one of the most important mixers on the site, in my eyes. Don't EVER overlook this.

• 1 month later...

a little heavy on the medleyitis, but things are nicely arranged and very personalized. This is definitely more than just the tracks strung together, but some of the transitions are so flimsy. :/

The samples are very good, but more importantly, they are utilized very very well. Lots of humanization and velocity changed, some excellent partwriting that plays to the strengths of the samples, and the source tracks are all beautiful. VHD has come a long ways, even from this strong debut, so be sure to check out all of his stuff. :-)

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01386 - Chrono Cross "To Times Once Forgotten"