The Goddess' Serenade (OOT/SS remix)

wildfire

Oooooh! This is cool.

I can understand why you would be concerned with realistic piano pieces in your other thread. In all honesty, it sounds like a solo piano piece to me. Almost reminds me of C418's remix.

I'm getting some distortion all throughout the song. Of course, I have crappy headphones and a loud speaker.

The measure of the same note(s) at :16, :24 was a little unnecessary IMO.

At around 2:24, when it gets soft, I honestly thought you were going to do either the Song of Time or the Call of the Giants from Majora's Mask.

GREAT START! I might comment later as well.

Serenade was one the first VGM pieces i taught myself on piano. nice stuff. :D

You've woven the two sources very nicely, but i feel that there is a lack in musical emotion i typically hear in excellent piano solos. Right now it seems as though this is being played by a student for an audition, rather than someone in a concert hall giving all of his heart. this is a really good start though. i look forward to hearing more versions of this :)

Nicely done, I really enjoyed it. You did well merging the sources, the arrangement is great, it has a lot of personality.

It feels a bit mechanical to me, which I think is why RexAsaurous says there is a lack in musical emotion. It also seems overall slightly too loud.

Can't wait to hear your next version! I'm doing a piano mix for the Mario Kart project, I hope mine ends up sounding as good as yours.

I love the mix of ideas, they flow together brilliantly!!!! There is definitely some distortion in the piano though. What piano are you using? Not sure about the tone, hopefully someone will chime in with a good opinion of that. (I'm working on this issue myself) The big issue I have with this song is it is waaaay too quantized and blocky. It needs humanization! The notes are all hitting right on the beat, with all the same velocities. Also, the melody always is played the same way, try varying the pattern somewhat, and you could add some extra fills here and there. The great thing about doing a piano piece on the computer is that you can add more stuff than just one human can play! Have fun and definitely keep working on this one, I'll keep checking for your updates.

This is a decent arrangement. I feel like you have thought about the notes you want to be played, but you haven't made them stand out.

Keep in mind some of these elements of music

Dynamics : This whole piece is pretty much the same volume. Often you can catch the ear of a listener by changing the volume of the notes.

Space : Everything is legato in this and that can get a bit tiring. Perhaps have a few moments when there is space within the music. Space can make you wonder what is coming next and make you contemplate what just happend.

Articulation : Try changing up the articulation a bit. Especially at the beginning. I feel like a bit of staccato notes mixed with a quieter dynamic could really allow the peice to breath. When you do 8th notes in the bass, give staccato notes a try.

I've never written piano music before that was worth a damn so bravo to you for working on it.

I can't really provide much feedback, but...

This was really nice! I don't get to appreciate many solo piano pieces due to sensory issues, but this was really nice to listen to.

Although it may've been because I'm not as familiar with SoW as I am with the Goddess theme/Zelda's lullaby, but I was having a little bit of a hard time hearing the sources...but that may just be me. Overall it was a really nice listen =).

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's really nice, especially the recorded version where it was much more musical than the previous version. I'm just curious if the shift in sound quality at 1:06 in the recorded version was intentional or if something happened, because it really did stand out in a not so good way. Just found it odd. I'm definitely able to look past it because your mix is really quite nice, the two sources really compliment each other here.

I think it's really nice, especially the recorded version where it was much more musical than the previous version. I'm just curious if the shift in sound quality at 1:06 in the recorded version was intentional or if something happened, because it really did stand out in a not so good way. Just found it odd. I'm definitely able to look past it because your mix is really quite nice, the two sources really compliment each other here.

He said the recording was pieced together from different takes. I agree that the shift is a bit weird. That and the lack of tempo variation are my only big issues with the recording. I may try to imitate this take in my project file, or try to get another take.

Tempo variation would be nice, I just think it could flow better... maybe with more velocity variation... even though this is played by a human, I can still hear it in my head with more feeling... speeding up and then slooooowing down... louder then softer... aaaaahhhh... and maybe with the chords rolling a bit more often, but wow what you've written is so nice, those themes are made for each other! (have listened 3 times now)

It can certainly be done well on a daw. This is me doing Clair de Lune on my daw (I can't play the piano for the life of me!). You can make a huge automation for the tempo and speed it up or slow it down that way (although in my Clair version, I did it within the patterns, I had better control that way). I think your song is great and can only get better with more feeling added. Can't wait to hear it again!