OCR01387 - Doom "The Dark Side of Phobos"

djpretzel

This is amazing stuff from Danny B. You're either going to love this or hate it. But either way you can't argue against how well it's produced. This is probably the first piece of music I've listened to that could be classified under the "Horror" genre. Sharp and clear drum work in this that ensures that the softest tap is just as clear as the incredibly loud BANG that follows it.

The original theme is arranged well in this piece too. The original was melodic and slow, with a definate pace to each long drawn out string-note to give it a quiet and eerie dark feel. However in this remix the notes are sharp and have their own timing to give them a completely different sound. The actual progression is the same for most sections, but the way it's arranged is unique enough that one would be excused for mistaking it as a totally original composition.

The piano in this piece is well done too, playing the key notes in the background that made e1m5 memorable. When listening to this, it gave off that alien-vibe that the original did and sent a chill down my spine.

The piece eventually leads into a quieter and much more atmospheric section, with the bass still jabbing away as it fades out. The piano then comes in and plays what I find very reminiscent of Rob D's Clubbed to Death song (which is similar to E1M5 anyway.) The strings come in as a backing, and it's a very fitting transition.

I won't spoil the end, but don't stop the piece too soon, or you'll miss out.

Great work Danny B. A very fitting homage to the doom soundtrack and a perfect opener for The Dark Side of Phobos Album Release.

Definitely a sweet first post from the Doom project. Got my blood moving. Love the slow fade in, sets the mood for a very strong piece, emotionally.

This is probably the first piece of music I've listened to that could be classified under the "Horror" genre.

I'd have to disagree there, Panic at Camp Crystal is definetly the first decent horror piece I've heard (IMHO of course . . .), still gets the adrenaline pumping no matter how many times I hear it. Danny B's is just as good though, and I'd love to see some more horror genre before Halloween rolls around again . . .

I'd have to disagree there, Panic at Camp Crystal is definetly the first decent horror piece I've heard (IMHO of course . . .), still gets the adrenaline pumping no matter how many times I hear it. Danny B's is just as good though, and I'd love to see some more horror genre before Halloween rolls around again . . .

Just out of interest:

This is probably the first piece of music I've listened to that could be classified under the "Horror" genre.

Can't disagree with that. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late...and not on commenting on this mix, I mean I'm late. Daniel, I'm having your children. This will be like the third or fourth time I've had a remixer's children but I feel it is necessary seeing as they release these badass songs I can't stop listening to. Wait...I'm a male. 8O I guess I've got my Schwarzenegger going.

I love the mix, as per usual with Mr. Baranowsky. I guess it's about right that all my favorite mixes are usually by the judges. Mostly because they know what the hell they're talking about, hence the reason why they're judges to begin with.

Great mood setter and definitely a frightener. Let's put it this way. I have a playlist that I keep under fifty songs at all times from OCRemix. I always...ALWAYS...listen to this playlist as I fall asleep seeing as the computer is right next to my bed. I tried putting this track into the playlist and while I was lying there, this remix came on. I immediately realized what was happening and got up, took the song off the playlist and put on Shnab's "Anachronism" (cheap plug) and went back to bed. There was no sleeping to that shit. lol

• 3 months later...

A very powerful, seemingly completely orchestral piece, this is. Probably the most fear-invoking track on the entire site, not to mention the project that this track is a part of.

There's a bit of repetition to the main pulse, but all that does is add to the suspense, and at the points where the music gets going, I can almost see a conflict between a hero, or a small group of soldiers, fighting something they can't see, hear, or understand.

The last part, the piano solo, seems to me to be a quiet respite, as our heroes calm down, or survey the carnage they're due to witness. Possibly a couple have died to the attack. Then, finally, when their guard is down, the enemy returns for one last go... and that's all we see of them.

Maybe this isn't a moving piece, but it invokes plenty of emotion, anyway.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01387 - Doom "The Dark Side of Phobos"