It's time for FLStudio6

Anyone know when it's supposed to be released? I'm giddy with excitement, especially for the sampler and multiband compressor.

The sampler is not going to be included. It'll be a separate plugin you can buy, much like Sytrus or Simsynth. It'll be worth it of course.

Ah damn, that kinda takes the fun away, I was already planning on buying a sampler (Kontakt probably) so that ruins my fun.:( Ah well...

• 2 weeks later...

This is great! Thank goodness for free updates for life!

I just wish there was a way to record outboard hardware synths when rendering a song (or maybe it does this and I don't know). Currently, I have to use MIDI to control my JP8080 and record it in something like Cool Edit and input it in as a sample.

Either way, the upgrade is free so I'm not whining.

No, I strongly doubt that. FL's MIDI functionality isn't that complex. Shit, MIDI isn't that complex. Since the actual audio coming out of the synthesizer and the MIDI data it's receiving/sending are completely seperate, there's no way FL would know to send note data, receive an audio signal, record and mix it in with all software-created audio, and render the whole thing.

Using the MIDI Out to have it playback a sequence, recording that, and then dropping it in as an audio clip or a sample is pretty much the only way to do it unless you're working with a synthesizer that has USB functionality. And the JP8000/8080 doesn't have that.

Some more info hot off the press:

An e-mail was just sent out by Image-Line notifying FL users of the imminent release of FL6. The FL Studio website was also updated with new tutorials/previews for FL6. Check it out here:

http://www.flstudio.com

Also, here are some more screenshots:

The new mixer (linked because it's frickin' huge)

http://www.paletteswap.com/beatdrop/New60Mixer.jpg

Delay Bank - Appears to be a multi-tap delay plugin with some extra sweet functions

DelayBank.jpg

Reverb 2 - Speaks for itself

FL60REEVERB2.gif

FPC 2 - Now includes envelope control and two banks of pads instead of one

New60FPC2.jpg

Also, the new graphic EQ plugin allows you to store individual EQ settings into 8 different banks, and then morph between them, allowing you to make drastic EQ changes with the automation of a single knob. Any single band in the EQ can also be sent to any FX track in the mixer.

As for Delay Bank, it has a whole bunch of features that are bound to make some really sweet sounds. It has two filters built into it, one on the signal and one on the feedback of the delay. Both contain all the standard filter types (LP, BP, etc.) and both have three different slopes (which I'm assuming are 12db, 24db, and 36db). It also has a Grainulizer built into it, to allow chopping of the feedback. All of the delays being run by the Delay Bank can be used parallel or serial to each other (in other words, independently or with one delay feeding into the next).

More news to follow as it is made available.

Here it is, folks. The entire list of new features. Pulled straight out of the FL6 Manual, which has already been made available:

FL Engine/Interface

• New minimalist look.
    New menu system.
    New 'one-click recording' option for new users in the Tools Menu.
    Edited events are now stored in a most recently used list in the Browser>Current project>Automation>Pattern 1,2...N.
    Drag/drop now works on detached playlist.
    Left-click and drag from most wave-displays to the channel window or other plugins is now possible.
    Speed improvements.
    Knob animation is now smoother (better anti-aliasing for those who can notice).
    Misc little enhancements: middle mouse button opens items in browser, mouse wheel works in some new places, etc.
    Added support for more hardware controllers including sustain pedals. Device List.
    Ultrasmooth visual feedback now off by default and sets a higher smoothness, and also now applies to fruity plugins (F10 > General Settings).
    Support for multimedia keyboards (play/pause/stop/prev/next/browser keys, etc) - These will start/stop/pause FL Studio etc.
    Default sample loading change: long audio files are not kept on disk by default anymore.
    LAME DLL (MP3 codec) now loaded dynamically (to avoid problems when FL is used as a plugin).
    Added auto-map all ASIO inputs (just like outputs), to monitor all inputs.
    New 'Link all parameters' dialog that allows you to step through all automatable parameters and link them to hardware controllers (See the Wrapper and Mixer menus).

New Plugins

• Instrument: Direct Wave - Advanced Sampler plugin.
    Generator: Fruity Envelope Controller - Automation plugin.
    FX: EQUO - Automatable equalizer plugin.
    FX: Fruity Delay Bank - Advanced Delay/Filter plugin.
    FX: Fruity Multiband Compressor - Variable 3 Band Compressor.
    FX: Fruity Reeverb 2 - Enhanced reverb plugin.
    FX: Fruity Squeeze - Distortion/Bit-reduction plugin.
    Visualization: Chrome - Video synthesizer, controlled from the Piano Roll.

Sytrus

• Sytrus: arpeggiator function now built into envelopes, audio file to envelope analyzer, envelope vertical flipping.
    Sytrus: can now drag/drop single-cycle shapes onto harmonics editor, or channel button.
    Sytrus: waveforms can now be saved to (32bit) WAV files.
    Sytrus: enhanced waveform editing tools.
    Sytrus: added 4 new filter types.
    Sytrus: can now lock harmonics individually.
    Sytrus: can now drag waveforms (click big waveform or ctrl+click small one) onto other synthesizers.

Piano Roll

• All control/automation events can now be edited in the Piano Roll, see item 4 - Target Control.
    Piano roll now offers 16 note colors (that can act as separate MIDI channels).
    New scale-detecting helper in piano roll (check hint bar when on).
    Piano roll helpers also mark notes that have names (useful with Fruity Slicer).
    Alt+click in piano roll/playlist/event editor bypasses the current snap (very handy).
    Shift+left/right or Alt+left/right shifts (nudges) selected notes in piano roll/playlist.
    Ctrl+mouse wheel to center-zoom at the mouse position in event editors, piano roll & playlist.
    Can now edit note properties to change a note into a slide.
    Double-right-click piano roll & playlist brings the options menu.
    New note helper mode (Piano Roll menu) - display note length in the 'Note Properties' view.
    Note properties (velocity, panning, filter-cutoff etc) can be adjusted by mouse wheel. ( Alt+Mouse Wheel) Hold the cursor over a note (upper Piano Roll), press Alt and move the mouse wheel.
    Horizontal note position can be adjusted by mouse wheel. ( Shift+Mouse Wheel) Hold the cursor over a note (upper Piano Roll), press Shift and move the mouse wheel.
    Note start time can be adjusted independent of note end. Select the CapsLock key, left-click the note on the left edge and move your mouse.

Play List

• Patterns may now be sliced.
    Live mode: song relocation is bar-synchronized.
    Keypad - Alt+/* and Ctrl+Alt+/* to jump to/select next/previous song markers.
    MIDI controller keyboard notes can now be used to jump between time-markers during playback (F10, MIDI settings).
    Playlist pattern lane gets a popup menu, and selected patterns can be renamed all at once.
    Added option to split (explode) a pattern by channel.
    Shift+piano roll/playlist cut tool now selects a column.
    Alt+click in piano roll/playlist/event editor bypasses the current snap (very handy).
    Shift+left/right or Alt+left/right shifts (nudges) selected notes in piano roll/playlist.
    Ctrl+mouse wheel to center-zoom at the mouse position in event editors, piano roll & playlist.
    Shift+mouse wheel to scroll playlist, shift+right click for playback tool in piano roll, and various similar little enhancements.
    Double-right-click piano roll & playlist brings the options menu.

Mixer

• Revamped Mixer with enhanced free track routing (all tracks can now be sends).
    Plugin Delay Compensation (PDC). The new mixer has sample-accurate, per-track, PDC.

Browser

• Browser revamped visually, with various enhancements.
    Browser smart search feature, allowing searches for things like 'sytrus', 'simsynth' or 'bongo'.
    Browser updated to remember its last state, visual drag/drop.
    Snapshot open-states can now be saved in one of 4 slots.
    Auto mode will open the directory to the presets/samples/files associated with the object in focus in FL Studio.
    If files already exist, dropping them on the browser will open the directory where they reside.
    Browser now monitors FL's data folder to refresh itself.
    Browser can show all file types and extensions.

MIDI

• Multiple MIDI input devices are now accepted.
    MIDI clock sync can now be sent to multiple MIDI devices.
    Added CC standard names to popup in MIDI remote control box.
    Support for MIDI hold & sostenuto with result directly in piano roll.
    Can now jump to song markers using MIDI input, and create them on the fly.
    Wrappers publish 128 extra parameters for CC's, so that you can control a VSTi without using a MIDI out channel in most cases.
    FL can now send MTC as well as MIDI clock for output synchronization.
    Option to save audio & MIDI clipboard data to files (see tools menu).

Changes and Additions

• Can now drag individual slices from the Fruity Slicer onto channels (or the explorer), and copy them to the Windows audio clipboard.
    Better support for the Korg MS20 controller: cable in/out are mapped to CC to work as switches.
    Enhancement for tablet PC's: most forms states are saved per screen resolution (handy when switching from landscape to portrait mode).
    Enhancement for tablet PC's: stylus mode that allows easier tweaking of knobs as well as several little usability improvements for pencil use.
    App includes a 128x128 icon size for application bars (ObjectDock, etc).
    "Typing kb to piano" feature now works from the browser window as well (accel chars now only work in the tree when the feature is off).
    Improved stability/safety for ASIO devices.
    Less flicker when resizing some windows (unless detached).

Some VERY exciting things have been added. I can't fuckin' wait.

I'm pretty sure it'll do that. You make sure MIDI output is enabled, make a "MIDI Out" channel, run a MIDI cable from your computer to the synth, and then write notes in the MIDI Out channel. That will get rendered w/ your project, I believe.

Yeah, I tried that awhile ago with a song. It would play through the speakers (I had the Audio Out plugged into my soundcard so I could hear it when I would sequence) but when I rendered it, it was non-existant. I was hoping there might be an option to turn on soundcard input to render with it but I guess they haven't put that in. Looks like I'll have to produce a song and when I'm finished, just render the loop of my JP8080.

I'm SO hyped now after reading all of that news. Although it's kind of weird that I haven't gotten that email even though I'm a registered user.

• 2 weeks later...
so...any more info? when's it going to be released? i checked the FL site, but they just have info on purchasing FL5.

'FL6 (coming end of 2005)'

This is coming straight from the FL newsletter. So...I would assume perhaps a week before X-mas? Or sometime inbetween.

All I know is that that is teasing the shit out of me, seeing as there's only 4 weeks left in 2005. I'm stoked.

This is stickied on the FL Studio forums

Hi,

We're going to release FL Studio 6 about mid December.

This involves a couple of procedures :

Getting the installer published & mirrored on Tucows

Mailing out the newsletter about it and new regcodes

Although we're moving the new site to our US server, which

was upgraded to 100Mbit, ... there are a couple of ways to

avoid the server stress involved with a new release. :

Check out Tucows yourself here (starting about half december).

You can already get your FL6 regcode by clicking here now.

If you want to check out what's new just take a look

at the new helpfile and/or the new video tutorials.

DON'T mail/post asking about the release as flooding

the (email)servers will only delay the release even more.

See ya,

The FL Team

Hi,

We're going to release FL Studio 6 about mid December.

This involves a couple of procedures :

1. Getting the installer published & mirrored on Tucows

2. Mailing out the newsletter about it and new regcodes

Although we're moving the new site to our US server, which

was upgraded to 100Mbit, ... there are a couple of ways to

avoid the server stress involved with a new release. :

1. Check out Tucows yourself here (starting about half december).

2. You can already get your FL6 regcode by clicking here now.

3. If you want to check out what's new just take a look

at the new helpfile and/or the new video tutorials.

4. DON'T mail/post asking about the release as flooding

the (email)servers will only delay the release even more.

Apparantly the Guitar Center distribution center has beaten us to

the finish and now some of their stores already have the FL6 boxes

on the shelves. The online release will have to wait another week.

See ya,

The FL Team

That was on the main page of the LoopTalk fourms. That may mean preorder boxes, but, due to the lack of actually stating the word "pre-order", I'm going to be pessimistic and assume we are getting the shaft. :cry:

• 4 weeks later...