OCR02558 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 'Silence Before Repentance'

DragonAvenger

• 3 weeks later...

There are some pretty awesome details and personalization points added to this. Overall I really enjoy most of the arrangement, although I wish that the Path of Repentance section had the same amount of arrangement as the rest of the track, as it feels a lot more coverish. The drums also add a lot of movement to the piece, which is also a nice addition, despite being a little bit loop-heavy.

Production sounds good to my ears as well, the soundscape is nicely balanced and clear. Nice work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

You're in favourite source territory with both of these. Pressure for awesomeness has been engaged.

*5 minutes later*

You succeed. The drums are quiet but do the job of keeping the drive going with nice varied writing. Nice piano arranging, good use of atmospheric pads. The source chords are just gorgeous and you've used them to your advantage well.

YES

This is a pretty subdued track, and wasn't really sure about it at first, but came around with a few extra listens. I think my issue at first was that the drums are wuiet and felt that they were lacking power because of the levels. The piano and pads combo is very nice, and the thmes are blended well together.

The treatment of the sources stays in a pretty comfortable closeness to the original, but added elements and minor personalization keeps it feeling fresh. I dislike the ending though, as the "someone forgot to tell the shaker player the song was over" style of endings is a bit weak. Overall though, I am comfortable passing this track.

yes

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, it's super chill. Nice flow. Reminds me of TheWingless when it starts out.

Personally not a fan of the percussion. Sticks out a bit too much and the dryness contrasts poorly with the rest of the piece, especially the hihats; the rhythms don't really gel with the rest of the piece. Plus it feels like they go on autopilot around 2:55.

Will probably be in the minority but the drums are a dealbreaker for me in this case.

NO (resub)

wow, what a nice soundscape. piano seems a touch too loud at times in comparison with the rest of the sound, and the low end could have had a lot more oomph. I agree that the drums weren't entirely meshing, and definitely felt too dry and the writing spastic at times; breaking down into some slower, less rhythm-heavy grooves would have been a nice change of pace. as far as the arrangement is concerned, I thought the Path of Repentence usage was much more engaging and personalized, while the latter portion was more cover-ish.. however on the overall, I'm down with it.

definitely a few minor issues adding up in this one, however I'm not sensing any dealbreakers personally, so I'll let this one squeak by. I think another coat of polish could take this up another level, but it's a pretty nice mix as it is.

YES