OCR01390 - Super Metroid "Energy Tank"

djpretzel

• 4 weeks later...

It's cool that so much could be extruded from such a skimpy original. The trancy aspect was handled very well. The minimal thing in the middle didn't quite work tonally. But, hey, it's danceable and the piano at the end is purty. Overall an interesting interpretation.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i had the part around 2:20 with the main theme stuck in my head all last week and couldn't think of which remix it was from, until i stumbled upon it again just now.

i really think thats the best part, and i wish there had been more development of it than just playing it in the theme once. maybe a shorter intro, then the highlight, then another developmental part and a return to the main section, then finishing after that. i think i just wish i could hear more of it without clicking back to the same spot over and over again =)

but thats just me.

Personally, I love this song. It's one of those songs that's good for working out or running because it has that "pump up" sort of feel.

If there's one thing I would change, I would make the piano melody that's present in the last few seconds of the song present throughout the entire piece.

Overall, I give this song a 9.5/10. It's perfect in almost every way, but still has room for some minor improvements.

• 11 months later...

Really catchy. I love the synth textures, the pulsing beat, and the wonderful improvisation. The bass really gets me. Standard techno in the best way possible. Wonderful remix of the source material that brought me to OCR a long time ago...

And I love the piano ending. It's classy.

• 2 years later...

I never think of uptempo tracks when it comes to Metroid, so this was a big surprise to me, but though I don't often hear the source connection (though the included breakdown sure helped), it was a pretty rocking track. Some awesome syncopated beats around the 1:55 point, followed by an absolutely mindblowing transition to the next section. This is how it's done, folks.

Overall really driving and cool. Great work, and "I can't believe it's Metroid!"

Wow, what a killer bassline! Wow, this one's really fun to listen to... the transition that OA pointed out is great and the section that immediately follows, where the source is most apparent, is also really catchy :-)

I'm pleasantly surprised by this! When I read "accessible techno remix" in the write-up, I subconsciously groaned and let out a "here we go again..." I'm glad to say this exceeded my expectations in almost every way!

• 6 years later...

Super Metroid meets Extreme G/F-Zero/some other futuristic racer. I can hear the Extreme G bikes in the background while listening to this very loudly. :)

Love this mix. Simple, driving sounds, very pleasing and not obnoxious. Always get chills at 2:20 when everything kicks into high gear. I'm torn on the piano ending; it's not bad but I just don't think it belongs with the rest of the song. Probably still my fav Super Metroid remix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01390 - Super Metroid "Energy Tank"