Street Fighter: The World Warrior Remix Royale

DarkeSword

Even if I don't win, I still win... at life! I'll be sippin' martinis on the beach while you guys are cramming time to make songs in futility! I'm the guy that trips at the beginning of the race but continues trash talking! Eat it! I'm gonna go start my OWN Capcom contest, and it's gonna have more DLC than you could possibly afford.

Even if I don't win, I still win... at life! I'll be sippin' martinis on the beach while you guys are cramming time to make songs in futility! I'm the guy that trips at the beginning of the race but continues trash talking! Eat it! I'm gonna go start my OWN Capcom contest, and it's gonna have more DLC than you could possibly afford.

Where is the +1 button?

I apologise for being late in my votes - 2 days in fact. But nevertheless, I have a reasoning for my viewpoints and I shall state them here.

Guile vs Chun Li

I know for sure that Brandon apparently is one of few people around here that doesn't like Chun Li's theme for some reason, which could explain his difficulty in integrating her theme in the scope of his mix. But it seemed to fit as a great countermelodic measure within the centrepiece of the track - kind of a more simplistic approach, but it felt workable. But he managed to make up for it with some strong clean production, lush work with the organic instruments and attention to structure, which given the length shows that he's capable of incorporating more inspiring ideas within a reasonable time frame.

GLL's track definitely had some promising ideas in there - the Chun Li sound effects were cheesy (and rather low-fi) yet awesome, and the interpretation of her theme was taken into a great combination of dream trance and downtempo complete with some great accompaniment change-ups. However, this to me was let down by his production - it to me came out as rather muddy particularly when the bass and the gated chorded synths came together, fighting for this same frequency space, and the low fidelity of the soundscape in general similarly didn't quite add up. What baffled me more was the structure - for the first half, it had the potential to be a very fun dream trance track, but even then the downtempo section for the second half could have been cut down considerably to consume any filler. Guile's theme in that part was cued in pretty subtlely, so I'm cool with any artistic interpretation, but again structure is something that should be key for handling these things.

Ultimately, my vote went to Brandon Strader for what I felt was a cleaner production and more cohesive direction. They both provided a great first match-up though - very enjoyable all around.

Blanka vs C Viper

I give mad props to Jake for doing something a little different and using the time to create a more downtempo entry in comparison to most entries and even weave the melodies of the sources together - had some promise early on, but then it started doing something that I admit didn't like Jewbei doing during the WCRG (sorry for calling you out x.x) and interpreting the other theme in the opposing key, which soon called it out to be a bit on the lazy side. It's definitely not a bad effort on the production side either - minimalist, a little on the quiet side, and fits appropriately well for the genre, so it just all comes down to what genre you prefer in this bout.

But I felt that OA had a more significant edge in regards to cohesive direction. Not much melodic weaving like there was with Jake's, sure, but I WAS surprised with him taking the time to play the Blanka melody on the guitar THAT fast! Even then I felt the instruments were more distinct and separated; though I don't know about you but I think it was mixed a bit TOO loud? I recall heraing a rumble in my speaker, which I assume must've been down to the instruments' headroom prior to bypassing the mastering chain. That's probably my only real complaint about this, and I know that if it wasn't intentional it might see a fix for a future purpose. (hint hint... :razz: )

Just for the surprise I was taken with the effort put in, and even taking the time to speed up the enemy THAT much, my vote went with OA. I can see you doing really well here if you started like that!

Ryu vs Eagle

Gario's track as an arrangement was handled fine, and I thought the airy intro with the eagle sound effect was pretty cool. But some of the high-resonance synths didn't seem to fit this more ambient soundscape that seemed to be going; I would've hoped that there could've been an option to turn down the resonance/distorton on those synths or even replace them with something a little mellower. But I think I get the idea - have fun at the expense of thinking you'd lose against zircon. Guess that didn't really happen. :lol:

Oni vs Yang

This was a tough round to judge because of severe lack of familiarity with either theme. PH managed to give a good equal share to both sources; could've thought it may head in liberal territory but that's part of me blaming the familiarity here. What I DID notice about his track was that he had gone for a much cleaner production in comparison to what I have heard of him during the WCRG; the organic instrumentation in particular sound more lush, the synths don't necessarily feel as shrill, and there's been less messiness in regards to notation - there's a cohesive direction. The only thing that still felt as if it needed a bit of a look into were the thin sounding 909 percussion, but that's something that could be given some experimentation in future work and I have confidence in his production capabilities.

I have understood that Neblix had complained about the way the voting went for his round, but let me tell you now, picking someone for the round wasn't easy. The sources were similarly mangled together with a cheesy sampling approach close to GLL's in the Guile vs Chun Li match-up, though there was still plenty of attention paid towards instrument clarity that really managed to work things over. In comparison to past works I've seen, the technical direction is steadily becoming more cohesive and well emphasized, though I still suggest that you don't put it off until the last minute - I know that some people prefer to do it that way, but you need to focus more of the time in the structure to avoid giving off that "rushed" approach, or worse, end up as a no-show at the end of the round.

Both artists did really well and really upped their game, so well done to the pair of you. It was a tight decision to go between them, but I went for Phonetic Hero due to a stronger direction and having the edge on the production side. Still a remarkable match-up.

And there we go - good luck everyone! :)

I'm kind of worried about the rest of the tournament myself, especially when I don't have nearly as much experience as some of these guys. You gave me a hellava run for my money. I really spent all the free time I had this week working on this, and pulled out all the cards I could come up with on short notice. I'm sure a few people still have't voted though, so this isn't over yet.

Good job on your entry though, :nicework: I did actually really enjoy it, despite all the whining and trash talking you heard. xP

I can't wait to hear the compo entries for the other bracket this Sunday. Good luck all.