Street Fighter: The World Warrior Remix Royale

DarkeSword

My reviews for the week:

• Vega/Fei Long: I enjoy electric guitar stylings a great deal, and DusK's was fun and enjoyable, but there were also quite a few moments of dissonance. Hemophiliac showed some great production quality, and while I'm not as big on the style, I think the musical quality was better here. Both entries had some difficulty in integrating the two themes, DusK's in no small part because of the instrumentation choice; Hemophiliac's entry had that long transition from 1:06-1:30, but the second transition was the best of both pieces.
  • Akuma/Sakura: BlackPanther showed great production, but Sakura's theme just didn't belong in that. Even with the changed key, it's just too cheerful, and the fact that it was kind of buried in the supporting instruments didn't help. I think this would have been a strong piece with just Akuma, but of course that's not the point here. Jewbei made great use of the fact that Sakura's theme is more melodic by having Akuma play a supporting role here, and while normally I like both themes to share the stage, here it worked pretty well, and made for a solid piece of music.
  • Rose/Balrog: Amazing production from Mr. Covenant here. Nice twists where it seemed like each theme was going to be with one instrument, then switching it around. By far the best demonstration this round of what a "versus" piece should be like: both smooth alternation and harmonizing one theme with the other. Just a stellar entry. Which is unfortunate for Main Finger, because his entry was excellent as well. If I was ranking all the entries this week, I think his would have been my second. It's not my favorite style, but production, composition, and use of the themes were all solid.

My reviews for the week:

Akuma/Sakura: BlackPanther showed great production, but Sakura's theme just didn't belong in that. Even with the changed key, it's just too cheerful, and the fact that it was kind of buried in the supporting instruments didn't help. I think this would have been a strong piece with just Akuma, but of course that's not the point here. Jewbei made great use of the fact that Sakura's theme is more melodic by having Akuma play a supporting role here, and while normally I like both themes to share the stage, here it worked pretty well, and made for a solid piece of music.

Thanks dude for bein the most critical that I've heard so far lol, to be honest I haven't heard much outside of this, everyones been very hush hush hee, so I humbly appreciate it. And since you said that, I'm actually gonna just make an edit without Sakuras part in there since really this was just an excuse to make an Akuma remix haha.

Again thank you!!

It's probably not a great sign for me how much I enjoyed Jason's track >_>; That said, I'm still very satisfied with how mine turned out.

I really enjoyed yours quite a lot, but it's just such a high quality round, that even if someone does an amazing remix that person still can lose. I guess its to be expected from such a great lineup of artists.

Also Blackpanther I enjoyed yours a lot and even voted for it. Really good stuff dude.

Thanks Zero, very nice I like it.

Time for the short reviews:

Dusk vs hemo

Two different takes on the themes but they were pretty good in their own way. Can't say one is superior so i just let my rock bias vote for me. Very epic sounding stuff Dusk, tho i think it could have had a better ending.

BlackPanther vs Jewbei

Both great tracks but BP won me over with the funky vibe. I do agree that the sakura theme didn't fit very well but the disjointed feel wasn't a big problem for me. Jewbei's track was great and full of energy, and well as with the other votes it was just a matter of taste rather than objective analysis because both tracks are equally good for me.

Jason C. vs Main Finger

Man Jason delivers and damn does Main Finger ever disappoint? both tracks are excellent, masterfully crafted, I loved them. Jason knows I've always looked up to him and it seems it will be this way forever :P. In the end, I went with Jason's track just cause I enjoyed it slightly more. but I hated having to pick one, specially since Main Finger did such a great job with the same idea I was going for with my track.

Anyways excellent round guys, Capcom is going to get one hell of an album out of this.

My apologies DS. I understand that rule we have till the end of the week right?

My decision is complicated because of two different reasons. The complication of the nature of the competition in itself; I feel both did an awesome job on their tracks for that week talking about it lol. The other is life situations.

I just don't want to waste a slot as zircon put it, but I want to play this by ear and see if I'll have time to work on another round. I'm sure you understand.

As a desperate I will most def vote for James since I can't lose with him. I know it's not that serious but I'm just tryin to make this equal and fair =).

Wee, getting mine in, after I give the mastering some tweaking + give my ears a rest for the night, to hear any details I may have overlooked.

Holy crap, this beats the shit out of my last entry. Hope I can keep up this level of awesomeness for the rest of the compo.

EDIT: Alright, I sent mine in - it should be in your inbox, DS.