Street Fighter: The World Warrior Remix Royale

DarkeSword

"To make your music easier to share, please upload your music to a location where it can easily be streamed, such as YouTube or OC ReMix."

I don't think they know how hosted music works on here. Also, is that the promotion that they're looking to include music from this competition for? If so, are we supposed to submit tracks to it, or are they going to take tracks at their leisure, or...? That whole bit is still a little on the vague side of things.

All I know is that I read their "terms and conditions", and it's a pretty standard scam/f**k you agreement. If they touch anything I've made related to this competition without my written consent I have every right to start a lawsuit for all original content I've created. I would at the very least expect some royalties or some sort of fee for using my music. They are a huge company after all. I don't mind a few people on the internet downloading my music for free for their enjoyment, but I'm not going to be exploited as an artist.

Furthermore, the only incentive for submitting your music to Capcom is letting them include it in their "celebration activities". So what does this mean? A couple of guys from Capcom are going to get drunk and play your music, and then basically do whatever they want with it from that point on? Nowhere does it even say they'll credit you publicly with your work.

There were some issues that Capcom's legal department had with the competition (specifically our OC ReMixers only restriction), so that's why they went with an open submission format. We won't be sending any music to Capcom on anyone's behalf; you'll be responsible for sending them your music through that form.

For my part, I want to apologize. When Capcom contacted us about music, Larry and I decided that whatever we'd be sending them, we'd need to have a baseline for quality, and the simplest way to do that was to limit the competition to OC ReMixers. No hate on newbies, but a lot of the time in these competitions, the newbie tracks don't cut it. If we'd known that Capcom just wanted basically everyone to send them anything and everything, we wouldn't have restricted it. We just had some miscommunication, which resulted in Capcom's decision to go ahead with this.

I personally like running these competitions and encouraging newbies involved because it's a good way to develop skills. Future competitions by me won't ever have an "OC ReMixer-only" restriction.

Furthermore, the only incentive for submitting your music to Capcom is letting them include it in their "celebration activities". So what does this mean? A couple of guys from Capcom are going to get drunk and play your music, and then basically do whatever they want with it from that point on? Nowhere does it even say they'll credit you publicly with your work.

You're assuming a lot of bad shit about Capcom, which isn't really warranted. I mean, honestly, "get drunk and play your music?" Come on. The "celebration activities" they're talking about are things they're going to be doing with the fanbase to celebrate SF's 25th anniversary. If you don't want to submit your music because you disagree with what is a pretty standard licensing agreement for derivative works, that's fine, but please don't sit there and badmouth the community guys over at Capcom. They're good dudes and they're not out to screw anyone over.

Anyway that's all I'm going to say about that, and that's all I want to see about that in the thread. Let's just get back to discussing the competition itself.

Eh... I dunno... it's remixes of music from their own company anyway. What am I gonna do? Try to sell it? Nope.

I certainly don't fault anybody who doesn't feel comfortable with this. It's totally each person's own call (though I personally assumed we'd lose any rights the very moment we entered anyway). But I just don't feel like it's that big a deal given the whole context of what we're dealing with.

EDIT: Oh wow, there were several other comments that appeared when I clicked submit. This was mostly in response to GLL for the record who again is free to feel however he wants about the whole thing. No skin off my back.

Well I submitted my song, as If I would ever make money from it. I can understand where you're coming from GLL but this is one of those very exclusive things I guess. I would never expected to be able to sell mine, but maybe I just suck a load of burro. It really sucks that it went down this way but eh what can ya do. CAPCOM. Ugh I almost typed COMCAST. Lol.

Ok so in the end, songs from this compo won't be submitted by darke and we have to send them ourselves using that website Brandon linked to?

Due to the legal implications of submitting music on behalf of another person, yes that is correct.

I don't have anything against signing a simple licensing agreement, but Capcom's TOS is absolutely ridiculous. They can sub-license your music (basically sell YOUR music to any of their affiliates, without crediting you whatsoever). You have no right to sue them because they make you sign an idemnification/hold harmless agreement.

Their ToS also specifically states that they can use your track for commercial purposes, and have no legal obligation to pay you a penny off what they make. Sorry, but I just have a HUGE problem with other people profiting off my own hard work.

In the end, I kind of feel like this compo was a bit of a sham. I was under the impression that execs from Capcom were seriously looking at the music we were making here, and all-in-all, we're nothing more than tools.

License to Capcom: By submitting your Track, you hereby grant to Capcom, and each of its affiliated companies, a worldwide, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free license to (i) use, copy and store for backup and archival purposes, transmit, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, reformat, and otherwise create derivative works of, publicly perform, record, re-record, synchronize with visual images and motion pictures, your Track in any manner, in whole or in part, to incorporate your Tack into other works, and to otherwise exploit your Track in any format or medium now or later developed (collectively, the “Uses”), and (ii) use your name, city and state of residence, or other information supplied by you (“Personal Information”) to identify your Track in the Uses, without any obligation of attribution or compensation to you. You understand that the Uses licensed to Capcom may include: public performance of your Track on Capcom-sponsored and unrelated websites; live public performances of your Track; creation of CD compilation including your Track and the tracks of others for commercial sale; and synchronization of your Track into Capcom video game products. Capcom shall not be obligated to use any Track submitted.

Ugh. That is pretty rough.

Meh, I for one don't really care at this point. The music is already made, I wasn't going to profit from it anyways, and when entering this compo I was expecting capcom to retain the rights to the music made.

I will be submitting my tracks later. One thing tho, they were asking for Wavs, but they seem ok with good ole youtube submissions? o_0 what gives?

EDIT: the part about uploading the tracks to ocremix was hilarious tho. That and keeping the direct wav submissions under 5 mbs.

I'm pretty sure it's essentially the same agreement from back when I did their Dark Void remix contest. They mentioned all these possibilities like potentially using the song in trailers and albums to cover their asses just in case, but in reality (despite being the winner) they only used the song for slapping a download link on the official game site, capcom unity, the site of the company that was sponsoring the contest, and Bear McCreary's blog (Dark Void composer).

That is not a complaint, BTW. I was honored to be acknowledged at all. I'm just saying they are probably saying things to cover their asses and probably won't actually sell the music, just use it in stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's essentially the same agreement from back when I did their Dark Void remix contest. They mentioned all these possibilities like potentially using the song in trailers and albums to cover their asses just in case, but in reality (despite being the winner) they only used the song for slapping a download link on the official game site, capcom unity, the site of the company that was sponsoring the contest, and Bear McCreary's blog (Dark Void composer).

That is not a complaint, BTW. I was honored to be acknowledged at all. I'm just saying they are probably saying things to cover their asses and probably won't actually sell the music, just use it in stuff.

I honestly couldn't care less that they could sell it; it's the fact that they don't have to credit me for making the remix at all that really gets me.

I honestly couldn't care less that they could sell it; it's the fact that they don't have to credit me for making the remix at all that really gets me.

That is a very reasonable concern. It's a shame that it's a worded in a way that would give them that kind of power. Fortunately, the guys over at Unity (specifically Brett and Greg in my dealings) are actually pretty cool dudes and it likely won't come to that.

I totally get the hesitation though, and I wouldn't want to force my thoughts on the matter on anyone. Having us each make our own decision to submit was a good move.

There were some issues that Capcom's legal department had with the competition (specifically our OC ReMixers only restriction), so that's why they went with an open submission format. We won't be sending any music to Capcom on anyone's behalf; you'll be responsible for sending them your music through that form.

For my part, I want to apologize. When Capcom contacted us about music, Larry and I decided that whatever we'd be sending them, we'd need to have a baseline for quality, and the simplest way to do that was to limit the competition to OC ReMixers. No hate on newbies, but a lot of the time in these competitions, the newbie tracks don't cut it. If we'd known that Capcom just wanted basically everyone to send them anything and everything, we wouldn't have restricted it. We just had some miscommunication, which resulted in Capcom's decision to go ahead with this.

Yeah and just to clarify, when we were speaking with our Capcom contact, they didn't realize the OC ReMixers-only restriction would be frowned on by the legal department later on either, otherwise we wouldn't have put that in place.

You're assuming a lot of bad shit about Capcom, which isn't really warranted. I mean, honestly, "get drunk and play your music?" Come on. The "celebration activities" they're talking about are things they're going to be doing with the fanbase to celebrate SF's 25th anniversary. If you don't want to submit your music because you disagree with what is a pretty standard licensing agreement for derivative works, that's fine, but please don't sit there and badmouth the community guys over at Capcom. They're good dudes and they're not out to screw anyone over.

Thomas is from the ghetto, and thus suspicious of "The Man." I don't think any conspiracy level stuff is behind the wording, so I doubt Capcom's gonna sell/profit off of the arrangements if you submit they. BUT they could based on that agreement, so if you're afraid they would and you don't want to open yourself up to the possibility of them doing that, then don't submit, that's understandable.

Honestly all that legalese looks like, as Main Finger pointed out, just the legal department covering their asses on this. From the wording on the website it looks like they will be showcasing the fan music, they are even asking for information for promotional purposes so i don't think we will go uncredited for it.

EDIT: Also, what Larry said.

How does limiting it to OC Remixers make it such a big, different deal? Seriously?
I'm guessing antidiscrimination reasons, and yeah, there's a certain smack of guild/union similarity.
Eh... I dunno... it's remixes of music from their own company anyway. What am I gonna do? Try to sell it? Nope.
Perhaps you don't, but there are several professional musicians that do, like Mega Ran and The Megas, who do actually have official permission from Capcom to do what they do and make money off it.

I wonder if OCR will get any traffic from people trying to upload music so it can be streamed for the event?

Guys. Just make music, or don't.
Well I don't... yet... someday... so in the meantime all I can do is comment. Speaking of which:

Wow, Ghetto is really cleaning up in the vote so far, though there aren't many yet. I voted for Gario, myself, though it was a tough call. Ghetto's production quality was a bit better, and the arrangement was more unique, but I felt it was a little noodley, and the first half didn't mesh as well as it could with the second. My only complaint with Gario's was that there was some odd timing near the beginning.

They were both very good, though, and this definitely could have gone either way.