Metroid 1 Ridley's Lair Remix WIP

Damarul

First off, the lead synth used is really annoying. I don't like the way it sounds, it's too loud and pingy, if that makes sense. The remix as a whole is muddy, especially when the fake guitar comes in. Everything is crowded together, the bass needs to be much lower, it gets drowned out quickly. The drums are in the background too much and lack strength, the timing also seems off. The fake guitar just doesn't sound good, it needs some eq, or maybe even a different sample. This is a good start, but it's in a early stage. This needs a lot more work.

By the way, I hope my critique doesn't bum you out. Just keep at it, and don't give up.

I have to agree with the beginning synth. It's way too in your face and it annoys. Also I don't think the delay is doing much, other than muddying up the mix when other elements come in.

My suggestion? Either lose the synth and try something else, transpose it down an octave, or get a phaser or flanger on it, cut out some of the higher frequencies, and get it arpeggiating some deepness and motion.

That fake guitar is also very annoying, but more importantly, when it comes in, instant clash with the synth. They are competing for the same freq range, and thus the song becomes very gritty ear piercing and screechy.

The drumkit is pretty cool, though the writing could be a bit more varied.

The bass is okay too, though the bassline is a bit plain.

So yeah, work on your sound. The quality sounds okay, but not the balance. And by at least the fadeout, get some arrangement going, take this song places, right now it's very cover-ish.

Good luck!