FF9 -You Are Not Alone

Darangen

Current Version (Version 6)

Version 4

Source: http://youtu.be/KKAoSY5bhSw

Weird thing happened. I sat down to start on a Terra mix and started playing this instead. Oh well. It's already at version 4 where most of the instrumentation is done. Still some tweaks to be done and I'm waiting on better string sounds to come my way.

I really want this to be a vocal/lyrical track but I'm having a hard time finding a female vocalist to jump on. The flute is a placeholder for what I want the vocal line to be. If I can't find a vocalist to do something here I'll just have my friend come by and do some native american flute stuff instead.

Anyway, open to suggestions.

Awesome, well done. This is one of my favorite songs from FF9, I like where this is going. The flute is a little loud, until the electric guitars come in near the end, but the flute is a placeholder, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Vocals would be great, but Native American flute would be cool too. :razz: Looking forward to the next version!

Wow nice acoustic guitar work here Darangen :nicework:

The Bass is reaaally powerful - I think it's distorting the rest of the mix, but I'm guessing that you're more worried about the composition than the production side of things at the time being :P

I like most of the instrument choices and the amazing soundscape you have going here 2:26 is def. the best part insofar.

However, my only instrumental gripe is that flute sample - more of a personal thing, as it's tough for me to describe why it doesn't seem to mesh well with the other instruments. (Some other options might be the english horn, oboe, or something Eastern, or Celtic sounding) - I'm sure your sound library is enormous so it shouldn't be too hard for you to look for an alternative to the flute, if you agree with my feedback here lol.

All in all, I really digged this WIP and I'm looking forward to the final version :<

I almost always don't like vocal remixes... however one of the only ones that I do like is a You're Not Alone cover.

I'd wager most would probably enjoy a lead guitar more, since as good as the singer is, lyrics will make or break it, and they usually break it. Still following it no matter what since the production is really good.

There's no counter so I can't describe exactly when it happens, but after the slow part in the beginning, about 1/4 through, the flute seems to double tempo in the melody department. Just sounds strange to me. The only thing I can see making it transition better, to me, is to double the beginning pace of the flute as well. Other than that, it sounds great man!

The bass guitar IS really powerful in that mix down, but worry not, it will be more balanced in later versions.

Other things that are going to change include:

- The flute is a temporary placeholder for the melody and will be replaced.

- An instrumental version will be made, as well as a vocal version. What instruments the vocal will be replaced by in the instrumental version is yet to be determined.

- That said, I've been able to get a well-known OCR vocalist to tackle both the lyrics and the vocals, and I'm extremely excited to work with them. I could do them myself, but I'm not yet that confident in my abilities to sing over anything that isn't extremely heavy guitars.

- The strings will be replaced by new, hopefully better, samples. Picking up some new sound libraries in the next 2 weeks or so and that should boost the quality at least a bit.

To respond to the flute being in half time for the "verse"/intro section, it's highly likely that the part will be modified a bit more. While the "chorus" notes will still be considerably faster, the verse still has a lot of room to change. Keep in mind that the flute is a temporary placeholder and shouldn't really be considered as anything other than "Hey, this is kinda how the melody fits into the song".

Thanks everyone for your criticisms and support! I'll try to keep this thread updated as progress is made.

I have (obviously) listened to my fair share of mixes of this source material, so I have a tendency to be underwhelmed; I thought this was gorgeous. I think it particularly gains it's identity during the passionate freestyle with the electric guitar towards the latter part of the arrangement.

Combining the delicate with the grunge is usually difficult for me to digest, but not this. It has a lot of heart. At the very least, it certainly has enough potential to be an OCR.