Nordic musics/instruments

Good morning/afternoon/night.

I'm currently working in a game project in which the protagonist is a viking-based character. Because of that, I've been researching about nordic music, classical viking instruments, etc. I know there's the "viking metal" genre, but that will simply not fit in the game, as it's just a simple cartoony plataformer, and the main character is far from badass. I also don't think a piece in that genre would fit even the menu screen.

My question is, does anyone know any kind of classical "viking" music? The thing they used to listen to? Classical instruments that they used would be nice as well. If anyone knows both the instrument and where can I get a free VST for it, I'd be very thankfull (I can't even afford to pay for the reason I'm using right now, let alone buying instruments for it)

EDIT: Viking-based character themes are also welcome. Getting to know what other people did for their vikings would help a lot.

Sincere thanks, ShadTK.

Different world music sample packs would probably get you some stuff in the right direction, just listen to historically correct examples and find similar samples from wherever you can, even if their names say they're from the wrong side of the planet. Just try to identify what makes them different from their contemporaries from other locations, and from their modern equivalents.

Also, these guys.

how come I haven't found those pages when I scearched

well, it was usefull, in any case. thanks.

Horns does give the viking feel, and flutes for more mellow. Just try to make the composition badass ;3

Ya, I'm thinking of using horns and battle drums or some instruments of this kind. this should do the trick.

Different world music sample packs would probably get you some stuff in the right direction, just listen to historically correct examples and find similar samples from wherever you can, even if their names say they're from the wrong side of the planet. Just try to identify what makes them different from their contemporaries from other locations, and from their modern equivalents.

Also, these guys.

I'm yet to learn A LOT about virtual instruments and how to use them properly, so I'll have to mess with them in a way or another. Thanks for the suggestion.

And these guys are pretty good. I liked their style.