Facebook likes issues (i.e. "Asking for likes is against the law of the internet! How dare you!")

Krakozhia

Not going to lie.. that's kind of a dick move considering all the hype going into this and how patiently a lot of us have waited for the album. I don't recall having to like OCRemix on any other album release to get it, why should this one be any different?

Not going to lie.. that's kind of a dick move considering all the hype going into this and how patiently a lot of us have waited for the album. I don't recall having to like OCRemix on any other album release to get it, why should this one be any different?

Agreed.

I was looking forward to the album today, but oh well. There's always The Wettening, coming on March 15th featuring nice Splash Woman remixes from Mega Man 9. Check my sig for details. :-D

You don't have to participate if you don't want to - the OCR Facebook page is actually pretty nice/useful though.

I don't see how it's a dick move wanting to have people like the page so they can get a stream of updates on posted mixes and some random game & game music related news. The album will be out - we're using the opportunity to do more because it's such a big release. If you cannot appreciate that, that's fine, but to complain in a public manner? Looks small minded to me, especially when the purpose is a net positive one.

Agreeing with this as well. Its not a huge deal...but no other OCRemix album has had any barrier to entry other than waiting for the release date. Setting a gate of "Go pester 3000 people to come like the OCRemix Facebook page" looks more like a publicity stunt or a cry for attention rather than a legitimate desire to spread the word about OCRemix.

That said, I'm still pumped for the album and eagerly await its release.

Agreeing with this as well. Its not a huge deal...but no other OCRemix album has had any barrier to entry other than waiting for the release date. Setting a gate of "Go pester 3000 people to come like the OCRemix Facebook page" looks more like a publicity stunt or a cry for attention rather than a legitimate desire to spread the word about OCRemix.

That said, I'm still pumped for the album and eagerly await its release.

The goal is to get people who already like OCR to 'Like' the page, not random people who don't care about the site or music we host. There are multiple reasons for why we're doing what we're doing here, and we view the short term irritation as well worth the upside in what we're doing, which is the bigger picture.

Agreed. I see nothing but a shameless grab for attention holding this album hostage to facebook. Another reason why facebook needs to die. :|

I agree that I am not fond of the idea of this, and I expressed a bit of skepticism earlier about it in PM... I didn't think that there would be 3,000 spare people to come around and hit "Like", not to mention all of us on or around OCR have already liked it. Alright, so I saw the number has gone up by about... what.. 50 people? I gotta be honest I forgot how many it started with, but I knew it needed some odd 2800 people and now it needs 2700 some odd people... That's a long way to go and it could take weeks.

Something that might help -- upload a Youtube video about this, nothing major that will take hours to make. Put an annotation link on it to the facebook page and explain about garnering likes.

But this was extremely ambitious considering some remixes don't even get 2,000 views depending on the popularity of the game. Average likes on a remix itself evens out to around 100.

Let's check Samba Primata for example:

125 total votes

I always sound like a wet blanket, that's just how I roll I guess and I don't mean to bring anyone down with any of my observations etc. Ultimately I just like to see my music get released, whether that is a song I have on this album, an album I have coming up next that is affected by a month waiting for likes, or even songs of my friends that will be affected. :-P I know that's an overly dramatic way to look at this but eh. NAO MAO< I CAN'T HELP how I feel

Frustration_Relief.gif

Anyway, in conclusion, I'd like it again if I could but I've already liked it max times. I hope you manage to find the 2700 people you need before things get too out of hand. There's no shame in releasing it before hitting 27k or without ever hitting 27k.

I agree that I am not fond of the idea of this, and I expressed a bit of skepticism earlier about it in PM... I didn't think that there would be 3,000 spare people to come around and hit "Like", not to mention all of us on or around OCR have already liked it. Alright, so I saw the number has gone up by about... what.. 50 people? I gotta be honest I forgot how many it started with, but I knew it needed some odd 2800 people and now it needs 2700 some odd people... That's a long way to go and it could take weeks.

Something that might help -- upload a Youtube video about this, nothing major that will take hours to make. Put an annotation link on it to the facebook page and explain about garnering likes.

But this was extremely ambitious considering some remixes don't even get 2,000 views depending on the popularity of the game. Average likes on a remix itself evens out to around 100.

Let's check Samba Primata for example:

125 total votes

I always sound like a wet blanket, that's just how I roll I guess and I don't mean to bring anyone down with any of my observations etc. Ultimately I just like to see my music get released, whether that is a song I have on this album, an album I have coming up next that is affected by a month waiting for likes, or even songs of my friends that will be affected. :-P I know that's an overly dramatic way to look at this but eh. NAO MAO< I CAN'T HELP how I feel

Anyway, in conclusion, I'd like it again if I could but I've already liked it max times. I hope you manage to find the 2700 people you need before things get too out of hand. There's no shame in releasing it before hitting 27k or without ever hitting 27k.

Yes, yes, and moar yes. If this had to be done, I think 25k would've been a little bit more realistic than 27k. Even then, this shouldn't have been done at all. I was led to believe that OCRemix released music for fun. A passion. Now they're trying to get their numbers/popularity up before releasing anything. To say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. This album has turned into a "we'll release it only if you make us more popular" kinda thing. I really believed, like I said, that OCRemix released for the passion of it, no matter how popular they are. It's kinda like when an indie artist goes mainstream, and they change they're style to sell more. Sorry for the rant, and I'm SUPER excited for this thing, I just needed to express my opinion. woot

What I don't understand about some of these complaints (not to single you out Brandon - I'm glad you're more civil about this than some others) - even if you don't like the promotion & understand the point of it, complaining about it doesn't help the cause of getting the album out quicker. If anything, it just shows you don't get the point & probably don't understand how diverse our readership is, and attempt to muddy up the waters for...the stopping of a 'Like' campaign? The purpose is to help get people news of mixposts, stuff posted artists are doing, and other random news related to gaming & gamers - stuff a lot of listeners are interested in. In addition, it means more promotion to those who get posted after the fact. The energy is better spent getting others to hit 'Like' IMO.

The short term impatience is well worth the tradeoff when you take this into consideration. People who think this is just for popularity completely don't get it, and instead try to infect negative energy into what is meant to be a positive - the imminent release of an album.

Hahaha, yes, why are we trying to get everyone's music more exposure? Better stopz! :<

The remixes are posted to youtube, there's probably a more direct way to get fans on Youtube than going through facebook :< Youtube's a pretty powerful and easy to use tool :<

Facebook is really just a glorified funnel, half the time I don't even see the OCR updates on my feed unless nothing else is going on.. I usually see it because friends like and comment on it rather than actually just seeing the original post. :-o

If you have any good advice of how we can help with this Facebook campaign, please share... I don't think I can get anyone on my friend list to do it, mainly because all of my friends are already from OCR, or elderly family who think I need to quit wasting my life on video games. o.O

You don't have to participate if you don't want to - the OCR Facebook page is actually pretty nice/useful though.

Well I don't have a choice on whether to participate or not because I already Liked OCRemix on Facebook, Subscribed to them on YouTube, and Followed them on Twitter LONG ago... so I have no way to make a difference in when the album comes out.

I don't see how it's a dick move wanting to have people like the page so they can get a stream of updates on posted mixes and some random game & game music related news. The album will be out - we're using the opportunity to do more because it's such a big release.

It's the route you're taking. I don't post on the forums much, but I've been a member here since 2002. That's ten years following OCRemix, watching it grow, and becoming the internet's #1 Source for finding and listening to video game music remixes. A site that seemingly accepted almost anything to focusing on quality.

It's understandable with any venture that growth is always a key. Heck, I had a podcast that I ran for about a year, decided to scrap it, revamp it, and bring it back, which I am currently doing. I'm not going to plug it, say the name of it, nor even tell anyone where to find it because that is not the intention. The intention is mere example in the fact that I, too, would love to see growth out of it, so I can completely understand the need for OCRemix to want more likes on Facebook.

But using an anticipated album for that is kind of a slap in the face. I understand the work that went into it. It was a volunteer project. People dedicated time and resources into making it happen and it is being released for free, but so has every other single OCRemix Project on the site. They were no different and there were a few of them that have had tremendous hype (recently, Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream comes to mind.)

I don't know when the idea for the project had been formulated. I don't know its origins. I just know this thread was created in January of 2010... a little over two years ago, and I've followed this thread and even bookmarked it. In those two years, I have never once posted in here asking about the release date. I just sat back and watched, observed, and saw this project grow. I saw when the tracks were announced, when the remixers claimed them, when they got updated when WIPs were turned in, right down to when the album was being prepped for released, etc.

And don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to continue to wait. I mean, I've waited 27 months so far... a little more time isn't going to hurt.. and my post wasn't intended for you to drop this whole campaign and give the baby his bottle and just release the album. I'm just simply stating my opinion that handling like this is really a dick move to everyone who has patiently waited those 27 months for this album, who heard the teasers, saw the trailers, and were elated to know that this album was just right around the corner, finally.

We all anticipated another glorious release of an OCRemix Project, possibly one of their biggest to date, and then we see that we won't get it until you get another 2500 or so more likes on a Facebook page. Especially when most of us here already have that Facebook page liked. Because now, to us, who already have it liked feel like the album is being held hostage for just a small boost in popularity when there are many other avenues a site like this could use, which could be even more effective, to generate more interest in OCRemix

If you cannot appreciate that, that's fine, but to complain in a public manner? Looks small minded to me, especially when the purpose is a net positive one.

As I've stated before. I appreciate any form of growth.. I just don't agree with this particular method. If people agree with what you're doing, they have every right to. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone is entitled to it.

Just a small note... to complain publically, on a public forum, which is made for opinions, is fine. It isn't small minded. What is, is not being open to the criticism. Criticism works both ways... both positive and negative. How you take it and what you do with it is entirely up to you. The internet is made up of human opinion... welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

This is also the last I will speak on this as I don't believe any more needs to be said. I will, as I've stated before, continue to wait for the album's release as I'm sure it will be well worth it. I just ask that OCRemix take into consideration the effects a marketing strategy like this could have in the future. That is all.