Facebook likes issues (i.e. "Asking for likes is against the law of the internet! How dare you!")

Krakozhia

Alright, but that really isn't an alternative to promoting channels that allow us to directly and easily interact with people.

Not an alternative, but a supplement then. Unless you would prefer all fan promotion to go SOLELY through facebook?

Not an alternative, but a supplement then. Unless you would prefer all fan promotion to go SOLELY through facebook?

Your argument was "you should give people another way to help get the album released because some people can't use social media!" And then you suggested offline solutions. So I said "we can't really track that." And you said "well it's still valid right?!" And I said "sure but it's not an alternative." You've changed your argument halfway through.

Of course I don't believe in Facebook as the only avenue to promote things. I created the OCR twitter account and the Facebook page and all that stuff. I try to push OCR through any social media I can. Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, last.fm, etc. Whatever.

Look, Facebook is good for us. We get a lot of eyes on music we post through Facebook. A lot of people click through the Facebook links when we post a remix. How do we know this? Because Facebook gives use metrics for that kind of thing. Graphs, counts, stats, etc. That's why it's important for us to get people to like our Facebook page; it's a really effective platform for us to promote the music. It's not the only platform (YouTube's another good one), but it does drive a lot of people to the site, which is really good, because if they come here they're more likely to stay here, rather than just listening to the YouTube video and staying on YouTube.

(assuming progress remains similar to what it's been, using Brandon's stats, it'll be another 4 days or so before the milestone is reached. That's not too bad, honestly, but it seems rough when you're sitting at your computer watching it update in pseudo-realtime).

I'll try to keep 'em on the first page. :<

3/12 11:10pm - 24,365

3/13 12:35am - 24,407 - 42 increase

3/13 8:47am - 24,595 - 188 increase

3/13 9:32am - 24,614 - 19 increase

3/13 11:08am - 24,654 - 40 increase

3/13 12:08am - 24,680 - 26 increase

3/13 1:20pm - 24,785 - 108 increase (thanks mixpost!

At this point I can say the increase is about 20 per hour, give or take a handful.

A lot of people click through the Facebook links when we post a remix.

Maybe you guys could post one early mix from MR then, it'd help.

As it stands, people who don't use Facebook are being unfairly barred from accessing this hyped album. Some people just don't care for social media, some minors are forbidden to use Facebook by their parents or guardians.

There are some minors who can't use Facebook, so... don't do a Facebook campaign? Do we have to fill the album full of swears to undermine that argument? We can if you want. :lol: It's not possible to take far-fetched issues like that seriously.

Saying "You can't promote on Facebook like this, because not everyone can or wants to use Facebook" is silly. That's like saying "don't advertise online, because not everyone uses the internet." That's not a valid reason not to do it.

Wanting the album right NAOW is all well and good, but we're not we're even ready to release it right now to begin with, because there's still other stuff to get done, campaign aside.

The trailer being out means the trailer was done, and we're planning to release the album in the near future. "Why didn't you start this earlier, before everything was ready?" People ASSUME the project is 110% ready to release and we're somehow not releasing it, which isn't even true to begin with. If that's a big part of the issue, then it shouldn't be, because we're NOT holding a ready-to-release-we-have-everything-prepared-ready-but-oh-well-for-you kind of campaign in the first place. We'll have everything in place by the time we hit the goal in 21XX. :lol:

Saying "As it stands, people who don't use Facebook are being unfairly barred from accessing this hyped album" is nonsense. Nothing's being banned, and that's entitlement. Even if you didn't like anything, when it's out, it obvious not just going to be out for people who are on the Facebook page.

And to say that doing a campaign to build awareness of an album project, which will help us reach more people to be aware of future projects as well, is now some sort of dystopian descent into "frenzied link-spamming" (which isn't even possible if you just LIKE a Facebook page) is over the top.

Maybe you guys could post one early mix from MR then, it'd help.

Already was the plan. And not just 1. :-) Everyone be patient. We've been trying different things to hype this one.

People ASSUME the project is 110% ready to release and we're somehow not releasing it, which isn't even true to begin with.

So if it gets 27,000 likes tomorrow, it still won't be released? Another reason this campaign is misguided. I hope lessons will be learnt from this thread, if nothing else. There's a lot of valuable insight here into the "people behind the numbers". Remember, a community is nothing without its members, and not listening to concerns over strategies like this one may come back to bite later on.

So if it gets 27,000 likes tomorrow, it still won't be released? Another reason this campaign is misguided. I hope lessons will be learnt from this thread, if nothing else. There's a lot of valuable insight here into the "people behind the numbers". Remember, a community is nothing without its members, and not listening to concerns over strategies like this one may come back to bite later on.

Again with the assumption of bad faith. We have one more thing we'd ideally like to include at the time of release that we'll simply try to get done ASAP later on if we hit the mark early.

The trouble is though Larry, is if you frame the campaign in this way, that's exactly what people will draw - assumptions - and that's exactly why people are confused and annoyed that a site they love, and know how it works, has decided to proceed in this way.

The trouble with forum discussions is that people get lost in quoting wars and the real issues get lost, the issues here being it's an unclear and seemingly aggressive and unfair marketing campaign. I understand it's well intentioned, and I love this site as much as anyone, which is why I'm trying to point out why this is a bad idea.

Once again, the only purpose a campaign like this serves is to alienate the fans on the fringe of the community by seemingly forcing them into something they don't want to do. That is why there has been a backlash.

I don't get it, how is requesting 27k likes on the OCR Facebook page aggressive or unclear? It seems people are taking an idea that was meant to be fun way too seriously. And as Liontamer the album is not ready to be released yet, so this campaign isn't even affecting the release of the album.

By the way, who is forcing people to go on Facebook and like the page?

Are you kidding me? Asking for likes just so you would release the album.

I don't have a facebook page or a twitter account and I hopefully never will.

+1 for you, that's exactly what I think. Your opinion, however, will be deleted pretty soon, like mine.

I don't get it, how is requesting 27k likes on the OCR Facebook page aggressive or unclear? It seems people are taking an idea that was meant to be fun way too seriously. And as Liontamer the album is not ready to be released yet, so this campaign isn't even affecting the release of the album.
I had overheard that it has been ready to release for like a week. People are getting mixed signals because they're probably not supposed to be receiving specific signals. *_*

That's Sigma from the MMX series

Or you could fervently help spread the cause and get it released in a day! :D

I charge $200 an hour in tenth of an hour intervals for doing things like reading emails or taking phone calls.

I really can't justify using my time to help OCR's Facebook page get a few more Likes.

+1 for you, that's exactly what I think. Your opinion, however, will be deleted pretty soon, like mine.

Already stated my opinion on youtube as well. So you can not stop me (maniacal laughter) hopefully.

Also it might actually cause more people to like them, so they will release the album sooner.

If this campaign doesn't affect the release of the album, then why does it say the album will be released once OCR gets 27k likes? I think you've answered your own question on clarity. As for aggressive, then if you've liked the page already, then it's up to you to go and harass your friends to like the page, which is, in my view, aggressive.

Since when did this become about perceived popularity, and not about DA MUSIK?!

okay i understand the posts in the other thread aren't being deleted now, but seeing as how much of a response this non-issue is getting... wouldn't that make it an issue?

Yeah, it shouldn't be brushed off as a non-issue. :-(

3/12 11:10pm - 24,365

3/13 12:35am - 24,407 - 42 increase

3/13 8:47am - 24,595 - 188 increase

3/13 9:32am - 24,614 - 19 increase

3/13 11:08am - 24,654 - 40 increase

3/13 12:08am - 24,680 - 26 increase

3/13 1:20pm - 24,785 - 108 increase (thanks mixpost!

3/13 1:54pm - 24,978 - 193 increase (thanks Capcom!)

3/13 2:35pm - 25,090 - 112 increase

okay i understand the posts in the other thread aren't being deleted now, but seeing as how much of a response this non-issue is getting... wouldn't that make it an issue?

I would agree.

How much negative feedback it is receiving would make this an issue. Don't sweep it under the rug it's way too large to do so.

If this campaign doesn't affect the release of the album, then why does it say the album will be released once OCR gets 27k likes? I think you've answered your own question on clarity. As for aggressive, then if you've liked the page already, then it's up to you to go and harass your friends to like the page, which is, in my view, aggressive.

Since when did this become about perceived popularity, and not about DA MUSIK?!

I'm just going based off what Liontamer said.

Wanting the album right NAOW is all well and good, but we're not we're even ready to release it right now to begin with, because there's still other stuff to get done, campaign aside.

Who says you have to harass your friends? Wouldn't a simple question do? If you choose to ask aggressively, that's hardly the fault of this campaign. The fact that the album will be released free of charge tells me that it is about the music. Maybe you feel differently.

They have been consolidated over in another, single thread. If you wish to continue discussing this non-issue, please do it over there.

EDIT: Just saw this, whoops.

EDIT2: I guess I'm already in the thread.