Facebook likes issues (i.e. "Asking for likes is against the law of the internet! How dare you!")

Krakozhia

Except once the page hits 27,000, the album will come out, the campaign will be over, and your faces will be so melted from listening to this thing that you won't care anymore. So yes, it's not really an issue except for the few of you who are making it one right now.

Normally I don't make an issue out of anything, but when someone tries to convince you to do something like "friend them on facebook", just so they will do something, I find ridiculious.

Since I don't have a facebook or twitter account, I find it extremely annoying that if I want something released that I will have to create a facebook account just so they might. I'm not creating one and hopefully I never will.

Normally I don't make an issue out of anything, but when someone tries to convince you to do something like "friend them on facebook", just so they will do something, I find ridiculious.

Since I don't have a facebook or twitter account, I find it extremely annoying that if I want something released that I will have to create a facebook account just so they might. I'm not creating one and hopefully I never will.

If you don't want to contribute, that's fine. It's going to get released whether you do or not.

No one's coercing you to putting a gun to your head to compromise your VALUES in order to get the album out, or for anyone else, so let's not be "ridiculous" and pretend that that's what's being asked. :lol:

If you don't create a Facebook account, we will infect your computer with a virus that will completely disable your ability to download the album. Also if you try to listen to the remixes on YouTube they won't load for you (they will load for everyone else). Also the virus will create electromagnetic waves that will alter your brain chemistry to affect your sense of hearing and nullify the sound waves whenever you try to listen to remixes from this album any other way (someone else's computer, over the phone, a couple of guys just singing what they heard to you).

If you don't sign up for Facebook and like the OC ReMix page, you will never be able to experience any of the music from this album, ever.

am i the only one that thinks that if you guys just released the album now that you'd hit a lot more than 27k likes on facebook? the more people that actually hear the album the more are likely to flock to ocremix, at least imo.

No, you are not, I agree with you. If they released the album, they probably would get more followers.

Is it just me, or is this entire thread about people whining because they can't get a FREE album RIGHT NOW? Wow, entitlement.

not so much entitlement. the main reason i'm LOLSOMAD over this whole debacle is that instead of just coming out right away and saying "ok album isn't done yet, we have a few last minute polishing to do" at the start, they start a marketing campaign that makes the fanbase think they can get it faster, all the while it has been stated after the fact that the album was in fact not done. To exacerbate the problem further, all of the mods from what i've read so far have seemingly brushed off our gripes and complaints as non-issues and just people whining. EDIT : one prime example is the thread name - Facebook likes issues (i.e. "How dare you!")

I'd like to begin this post with a disclaimer which states that I fully understand the whys of the Facebook campaign, and I understand the whys of negative reaction to it. I am not aligning myself to either side of the argument, but merely stating something that I haven't seen mentioned.

There are a percentage of people who are on Facebook, but who do not use it. These are the people who check their updates maybe once every couple of months. People who send friend requests to these users are lucky to be noticed in a reasonable time frame. These are people who can't be arsed to hit the like button no matter how much they agree with anything said, posted, linked to. Whether they are a fan or not, whether they like what they see or hear, or not. I admit, I'm one of the lazy bums.

On the flip side, yes, Facebook is a useful tool. However, the networking of information and people is focused according to preference and interest. Friends of friends of friends of friends who might like video game music can only see so much, according to privacy settings and relation to that network. You can reach as many as you can, OCRemix. But you can only use Facebook to reach so many.

Well I have a suggestion to help the goal and all. Could make a short video on youtube or something with the Sigma message. Could use Powerpoint or something to have a MMX Sigma message mockup with the original Sigma 4 song and have an annotation with a link to the FB page and I think then the goal would be reached a little faster.

I appreciate the hard work by so many artists over so many years to make this album and the other thousands of tracks already available. I appreciate the work put in by staff members to make OCR as a listener's dream and an artist's resource available at zero monetary cost to the community. And unfortunately, I know that the annual fundraising drive is theoretically next month. As I've become more interested in this community it's become clear that many staff members, including some of those responding in this thread, get extremely defensive against the community whenever their opinions about the topic at hand differs (regardless of how well those opinions on either side are expressed). I won't promote that kind of adversarial relationship, directly or indirectly, in part or whole, through social media advertising or donation support.

Is it just me, or is this entire thread about people whining because they can't get a FREE album RIGHT NOW? Wow, entitlement.

There are actually some very good points being raised in this thread about social media marketing. The fact that it involves people to spread the word, and a lot of people don't like doing this, is a cause for concern that doesn't seem to be being addressed, possibly due to emotional involvement in the site and/or album in question.

What some people are failing to understand is that a lot of people don't take kindly to being told to share or tell people they should like things. Again, I don't care if this was or wasn't the intention, but this is how it comes across.

For me, the strength of OCR is its quality, which speaks for itself. By having such stringent quality controls, and already a strong fanbase, there shouldn't be a need to resort to these sorts of tactics, which come across as cheapening the site. I understand the desire to have as many people appreciate what we do as composers, remixers and contributors to the site, but it's way easier to get people to do things if you give them something first, then ask them to tell their friends, not the other way around.

On the flip side, yes, Facebook is a useful tool. However, the networking of information and people is focused according to preference and interest. Friends of friends of friends of friends who might like video game music can only see so much, according to privacy settings and relation to that network. You can reach as many as you can, OCRemix. But you can only use Facebook to reach so many.

Said this before, but we get a lot of clickthroughs from Facebook.

There are actually some very good points being raised in this thread about social media marketing. The fact that it involves people to spread the word, and a lot of people don't like doing this, is a cause for concern that doesn't seem to be being addressed, possibly due to emotional involvement in the site and/or album in question.

What some people are failing to understand is that a lot of people don't take kindly to being told to share or tell people they should like things. Again, I don't care if this was or wasn't the intention, but this is how it comes across.

For me, the strength of OCR is its quality, which speaks for itself. By having such stringent quality controls, and already a strong fanbase, there shouldn't be a need to resort to these sorts of tactics, which come across as cheapening the site. I understand the desire to have as many people appreciate what we do as composers, remixers and contributors to the site, but it's way easier to get people to do things if you give them something first, then ask them to tell their friends, not the other way around.

I fully agree with you on this.

I tell my friends about how great this website is because of how much great music is on here. Being told to like this website or I can't listen to it's music anymore is just wrong. Let the people recommend the website over time, and don't enforce that they have to like it or else.

Being told to like this website or I can't listen to it's music anymore is just wrong.

Except all of the music currently is still here and you can still listen to it. djp is also throwing you guys a bone and posting some preview tracks from the project, so nothing is being withheld and the album is GOING TO BE RELEASED. OCR is already up to over 25,000 likes and steadily climbing. It's not like the goal isn't going to be reached (probably within just a few more days) and it's helping build more hype for the album and OC ReMix in general (not to mention giving a little bit of a buffer to those involved with getting the project ready for release. Seriously, a project of this magnitude requires time to prepare, and this is the single largest project in OC ReMix history.) Nobody is trying to keep you from anything.

I fully agree with you on this.

I tell my friends about how great this website is because of how much great music is on here. Being told to like this website or I can't listen to it's music anymore is just wrong

Too bad, Larry and pretzel are going to come to your house and destroy your hard drive so you can't listen to all the OCR music you've downloaded again if you don't like OCR on facebook