OCRA-0033 - Mega Man X: Maverick Rising

Bahamut

So Ive gone through all my favorite tracks from the First three games, and now am working though a complete play thought of the album. But man this album is a testament to how hard OCR rocks..

One of the stand out new mixers to me is Dominic Ninmark I saw his name and didn't recognize it.. Sure enough this looks to be his first posted stuff.. Keep it up OCR..

Also Im seeding when I can .

I have to say, this album blew me away. Everything is just done so well. I'm listening through it for the 3rd time right now.

My only gripe (it's not even a big one) with the album is I felt soundbites were a bit overused. The bites of Iris and such comes across as a bit cheesy to me, but it's really just personal preference, never been much for sound bites in music.

PS: I Whipped up some quick album art to go with The Grand Maverick Remix Battle album that's included in the torrent for personal use, if anyone wants to use it feel free.

zcB8X.png

I have to say, this album blew me away. Everything is just done so well. I'm listening through it for the 3rd time right now.

My only gripe (it's not even a big one) with the album is I felt soundbites were a bit overused. The bites of Iris and such comes across as a bit cheesy to me, but it's really just personal preference, never been much for sound bites in music.

PS: I Whipped up some quick album art to go with The Grand Maverick Remix Battle album that's included in the torrent for personal use, if anyone wants to use it feel free.

zcB8X.png

Yeah, that's it.:<

Not entirely true. Each track on it was the result of a request or recruitment, but there are some tracks on here that may not have been made primarily FOR the album. A number of revisited GMRB tracks, and others like Prot's track, already existed. But all the material here I believe was not released as ReMixes prior to this.

He explains it better. :nicework:

I'm really hesitant about admitting this... but this is definitely a great album. It's nearly perfect! However, there are a few flaws I simply can't overlook... I'll explain.

The broad selection of songs chosen for this album were pretty much perfect. I like how so many people chose random songs and songs that a lot of people would otherwise overlook, such as X-Hunter Stage 1 theme from Mega Man X2 (grossly overlooked) or Primrose from Mega Man X8 (awesome!). But I can't say I like the fact that there are a couple duplicate covers of songs, not counting the bonus content. The obvious one here is the two versions of Bubble Crab's theme -- one from Mega Man X2 and a remix of Tidal Whale's remix of Bubble Crab's theme from Mega Man X5. They're both very good arrangements, but that seems a bit redundant. (The more clever thing to do would have been to make a remix of Tidal Whale's unused theme from Mega Man X5. ;P) There's also quite a few repeats in the album, though most of these are also mixed with another song. (Part of the Grand Maverick Remix Battle, I believe?) However... Spiral Pegasus has four repeats. And not one of them are solo tunes. Was his theme really that good enough warrant four remixes, even if they were mixed with four other songs... Oh, and the two remixes of Blizzard Buffalo's theme right back-to-back? Somewhat amusing, but poorly planned, in my opinion.

In addition to over-saturation of some songs, some of the arrangements themselves weren't all that great. Only one stands out in my mind as being "bad", that being "Thorn in my Slide", since I couldn't easily recognize it as being Spike Rosered's stage theme. It's not a bad piece of music, but like I said, it wasn't recognizable as Spike Rosered's theme to me, similar to the old OC ReMix "Let There Be Light" being barely recognizable as Dustman's theme.

I also don't like the fact that the last three Mega Man X games and Mega Man X: Command Mission were overlooked in contrast to the first five. Mega Man X: Command Mission was completely snubbed in this album while Mega Man X7, despite having a pretty awesome soundtrack, got all of a single song remixed. Granted that the chosen song was the single-best song in the game by far, but that's not the point. The point is that there was some definite favortism going on here -- especially for the first game in the series.

It's very rare for me to pop on these forums these days... but Mega Man X: Maverick Rising was more than enough encouragement to get me to pop in and give my feedback on the album. Despite the minor flaws I mentioned -- and trust me, in the grand scheme of things, these flaws are very minor -- this album is absolutely, positively worth everyone's time and is truly a pleasure to listen to. All the contributing artists should be extremely proud of their contributions. I haven't been this satisfied since the Final Fantasy IV remix project. I'm very glad I took the time to download this album and will enjoy listening to it whenever most any song pops up in my XMPlay randomizer! :D

Personally, Washudoll and Devastus came out of NOWHERE for me. I've never heard of both remixers before, yet they absolutely delivered some truly awesome music for the project. Washu's arrangement of Boomer Kwanger (sp?) is my favorite track of the album because it mixes elements from the original and Maverick Hunter X arrangement and goes with them. Devastus' rockin' take on Crush Crawfish comes a close second...such an underrated track from an underrated X installment. I really love the original so I think Devastus did it a lot of justice with his face-melting guitar playing!

So far I like the album. Haven't gotten through all of it yet, with personal preference I do agree with General Gilliam on the over use of Iris bits.

With that said I have a question about Disc 3 track 5, Bullet Fists of Lightning Fury by Ergosonic. The two source tracks mentioned are Spark Mandrill Stage and Boss 1, however the start of the song is Stage Start this is mentioned on the website but different on the tags and file name. Is it both or just a mistake?

Anyways slowly making my way through and liking what I hear. Thanks for the music.

I have never been so thrilled by an album's release that I was intimidated by the idea of actually getting and listening to it. This is such a massive contribution to the Mega Man franchise and fans. I don't know how knowledge of this album's development escaped me, but it's release has me utterly dumbstruck. I shall enjoy every moment of this!

So far I like the album. Haven't gotten through all of it yet, with personal preference I do agree with General Gilliam on the over use of Iris bits.

With that said I have a question about Disc 3 track 5, Bullet Fists of Lightning Fury by Ergosonic. The two source tracks mentioned are Spark Mandrill Stage and Boss 1, however the start of the song is Stage Start this is mentioned on the website but different on the tags and file name. Is it both or just a mistake?

Anyways slowly making my way through and liking what I hear. Thanks for the music.

Boss 1 on the soundtrack is the intro music before you start a stage in Mega Man X.

Don't like it, don't listen to it.

There are 3 songs that use Iris Voice clips.

Big deal.

If there's one thing I can say about A Flea and His Giant, it's this: DAT DRIVING BASSLINE. That song is so fucking awesome. Wish I discovered this guy earlier.

This album has a lot of rock songs, and I love that! This is definitely one of my favorite albums on OCRemix

Congratulations guys on a staggeringly awesome album.

This album took me 2 days to listen to due to so many songs.

First of all i gotta agree with kyle below about Cyril the wolf in crushing gravity, dude i gotta say when i heard that scream, it blew me out of my chair, i was stunned, well done sir.

There's many great songs from this album but the greatest thing about this album is that it includes remixers who don't seem to have any posted remixes on OCR, such as BONKERS, ergosonic and M-H who i know from DoD, as well as those who seem to be newcomers such as washudoll, krow, brandon snell and devastus.

As for the use of soundclips, i personally feel they add to the songs

This albums greatest achievement however is bringing the plaid muffins back together, guys you don't realize how additive that song is, i end up randomly singing it at work.

All in all a great album all round, so great that it makes me want to go through the entire series, to experience it myself, and to me that is a mark of a truly inspiring remix album.

Wesley Cho ‏ @BahamutWC

"@KinuyoYamashita Hey, I directed a Mega Man X series tribute album which includes X3 music that I think you'd enjoy! http://maverick.ocremix.org/"

Kinuyo Yamashita山下絹代 ‏ @KinuyoYamashita

"@BahamutWC I really enjoyed it."

Right there is the composer to Megaman X3 as well as a few other games approving of this album, you can't do much better then that.