Zelda: Majora's Mask - Deku Nut Palace - Teknut - Version 3

jordanrooben

I started this song just because it was in my MIDI folder, and I wanted to mess around. As always, it's better than anything else I've made.

I have two specific question regarding it however. The first is: are any of the parts muddy? I had issues with that early on, but I think I fixed the problem areas. Second, is it too repetetive, or not structured enough?

Version 1: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/teknut-deku-nut-palace

Version 2: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/teknut-deku-nut-palace-version

-Fixed the muddy bass

-Made the lead louder

-Changed the parts for a more cohesive (A-B-Bridge-A-B-AA-C) structure

-Added a better ending

Version 3: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/teknut-deku-nut-palace-1

-MOAR BASS

-Less lead instrument variation for an even more cohesive structure

Version 4: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/teknut-deku-nut-palace-2

-Brought out the nearly inaudible drums to an audible level

-Changed the structure to: Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus-Chorus-Coda

Its hard to hear the melody sometimes in the beginning. Its a little muddy on the bass side. Its not repetitive (or at least i don't think so). In fact, it seems sporadic; there's some transitional issues that make it lack cohesion. The ending is pretty weak as well.

Good luck

Its hard to hear the melody sometimes in the beginning. Its a little muddy on the bass side. Its not repetitive (or at least i don't think so). In fact, it seems sporadic; there's some transitional issues that make it lack cohesion. The ending is pretty weak as well.

Good luck

Fixed those issues (At least, I hope so). I put the link in the first post. Take a look, and enjoy!

The song feels pretty random. The instrumentation switches up so much it's hard to find a pattern. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that the original song is kind of random and the melodies aren't very distinct, so this song might be better if more things stayed the same to hold the song together.

Also, I feel like everything is going on in the low-mid to mid frequencies, and there's not much bass, so it feels like there's holes in the song. Or it could just be that there's sub-bass that I can't hear with my speakers.

Mainly you should create a really obvious structure for the song to hold together the rather random source material.

I do like the glitchy stuff you have going on, and the instruments do sound good, so good job on that. Hopefully I'm not sounding completely negative. :P

The song feels pretty random. The instrumentation switches up so much it's hard to find a pattern. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that the original song is kind of random and the melodies aren't very distinct, so this song might be better if more things stayed the same to hold the song together.

Also, I feel like everything is going on in the low-mid to mid frequencies, and there's not much bass, so it feels like there's holes in the song. Or it could just be that there's sub-bass that I can't hear with my speakers.

Mainly you should create a really obvious structure for the song to hold together the rather random source material.

I do like the glitchy stuff you have going on, and the instruments do sound good, so good job on that. Hopefully I'm not sounding completely negative. :P

Usually, I don't like to reply before I release a new version, but I'll make an exception. I'm listening to the mix now, and I did overlook the bass. Though, overlook isn't entirely accurate. I started with the bass actually. I took it out throughout the mix for buildup. I'll work on it. Thanks for the compliments also. And no, you're not being too negative. I'd sooner have good constructive feedback that's negative than something positive I can't work with. Thanks!

It's not bad, in fact I mostly like it, except for two things:

1. Still very random/mixed up/spontaneous. I'm not saying you shouldn't have variation, just, making it progress in a more structured way may help.

2. (minor) it sounds like the first little glitchy sound (around :08 in) is kind of loud? It sounded a little like clipping to me, at least.