Opening your Voice for Singing/Voice Acting

Hey OCR,

I had a question for the more vocally inclined people here. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere that I haven't seen.

A friend of mine who was much more of a singer than I was, is playing around with the idea of going into voice acting, which is something I had an interest in though to be honest, I think i sound like a cat getting hit with wicker furniture. :) Though one person I knew said I kind of sound like Troy Baker, which is the best compliment i think i've ever received.

Anyway, the point of this is what techniques/vocal warmups can be done to help open your voice so that you can sing/speak better?

So far the only techniques I know of are

1. Laughing Hysterically

2. Singing in the car going to work

3. Screaming in the car going to work

4. Yawning

I am looking for ways to help resonate in the chest and lower, to me it sounds like i'm kind of forcing it down there unless i am extremely, extremely....relaxed.

Stretching is important. Loosening up the muscles in the abdomen, the pecs, and the shoulders and neck.

Scale exercises, even if you're not singing, but also like vocal ramps.

I don't like screaming--screaming incorrectly can be very damaging to your vocal chords.

How my vocal teacher had me warm up:

Start by taking deep breaths and releasing it while letting your lips flap (can't think of a better way to describe this). Kind've like you're scoffing at something.

After doing that a few times, start doing it while doing scales - go from low note, to highest note, then back down. You can also do intervals or other variations.

Start by taking deep breaths and releasing it while letting your lips flap (can't think of a better way to describe this). Kind've like you're scoffing at something.

After doing that a few times, start doing it while doing scales - go from low note, to highest note, then back down. You can also do intervals or other variations.

Something kind of like how brass players loosen their lips?

Today I was trying to get a relaxed humming sound that would get my teeth and nasal cavities vibrating. Whenever I spoke i felt like I filled the room, i just wish my co workers would stop looking at me so damn funny. :)

Motorboating! I sing scales while doing this to warm-up. Mostly for support exercises.

Also back to op:

I do not recommend your first three things, for these reasons:

1 - Laughing can actually cause you to damage your vocal folds if you are laughing too hard and for too long. (i've actually learned this the hard way and lost my voice a number of times because i've laughed for too long and too hard)

2 - Singing in the car, don't do this because you can't listen to yourself fully as to judge what you're doing because you should be focusing on the road (or you will be focusing on the road more) rather then focusing on proper technique.

3 - Screaming is bad for the same as reason number one, it's harmful for your vocal folds.

If you also are feeling as if you are forcing lower/chest tone, then don't...you should only be doing what is natural for yourself, this again can also lead to damage. Yes, to go lower you must relax your vocal folds, however; I do not recommend forcing anything.

Agreed, vocal exercises should never feel painful or forced--nor singing.

I knew a metal singer who thought he perfected overtone singing, or singing two notes at once, but he forced it too often and in a really unhealthy way--he damaged his chords, grew a polyp in his throat and ended up having to get throat surgery. Now, he doesn't sing anymore.

Of course forcing anything is never good. When I did Kyokushin Karate I avoided Ibuki breathing as much as possible. Mas Oyama, the creator, somehow died of lung cancer yet he lived a healthy lifestyle and never smoked....

What I'm worried about is bad speaking habits that people don't know they are doing and are tough to break. Ever hear people talk out of their nose? i mean, completely out of their nose?

Even though i really dig growling it seems like many metal singers will eventually have problems with thier voice including cancer. I wonder how that guy is who did inspector gadget's Claw is right now?

Just wondering, can anyone imitate any VG characters? I'm working on Duke Nukem though I think it might be too advanced for me right now. I should probably start with something easy like the lead char's voice from Jade Cocoon. :)

Here's a great resource that I just picked up. Voice Over Voice Actor by yuri lowenthal and what should have been liz sroka but is actually tara platt the guy's wife.

The Warmup is on Itunes for 10 bucks. It's mostly Alexander Technique with some vocalization but I surprised myself by how much better I started to sound after doing the cd.

Liz, you and me are doing the next Bioware game. Right after I run over Mark Meer with my car. :)

i can be voice actor too? LET US WORK TOGETHER.

I don't know, i'm just messing around right now with hopes of people being completely enthralled with every word I say as I read to them the Dry Cleaning listings out of the Yellow Pages. I guess we'll see if I get there.

Plus if I can develop my singing voice I'll be able to add an entire one man choir to my mixes. EastWest, I love ya but eat your heart out.

I heard from a vocal workshop leader that all of this stuff from the King's Speech is real, helpful vocal warm up/strengthening stuff. Anyone tried any of them?

Some of that seems a little extreme for the sake of entertainment but it should work with what i've learned so far.

First move was actually in Lowenthall's book to help loosen up the jaw.

Second, never saw it before but i guess it could be used to help loosen up the whole body and to help feel the different resonating chambers when vocalizing.

Third, Roll to help strengthen the core. Easier to do if you split the roll into 1/4's and hold for a few seconds each (back, left, front, right)

Fourth, No freaking clue. Looks like a burpee with ungodly horrible form and a vocalization at the end. Baaaaa Maaaa....wtf.

Final, Diaphragm strengthening but you shouldn't need weight for something like that.

I think they should have gone one step further and slammed a coconut off of that guy's keg. In a full 80's fight training montage. That's the only way this guy is going to beat Apollo and save Lois Lane. What was this movie about again?

Voice exercises are good, but nothing compared to the character... It's not just a case of working out the voice you want to use, you have to stick with it. Going to use your own voice? Fine, but be aware of what you can and can't get out of it.

There's nothing worse than someone adopting an accent, then having that accent go wandering as soon as they get into serious conversation.