Toshiba Satellite touchpad problem - error 10 - how to fix?

zircon

My Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 laptop (purchased May 2009) has been holding up pretty well. But recently, I booted it up and the touchpad did not seem to be functional. I navigated to the mouse drivers and the window showed "Error 10", device not functioning. I tried uninstalling + reinstalling the driver from the Device Manager, restarting, etc., no luck.

Any ideas for how to fix?

Okay, Google gives more results if you just search "windows mouse error 10" and the like, but i still haven't found any solution to your problem.

I found this, a page that describes what error 10 usually is: a driver problem.

When i installed Windows 7 on my laptop, i had to go to the Toshiba website to find which drivers i should install for each component, and got a variety of errors until i did.

Toshiba Support: You can check under the 'Support Bulletins' tab for info.

If you're not running Windows 7, i have no idea what's wrong.

Not on topic of the mouse, but I've had the "identifying" problem a few times before. Each time (for me at least) its been a problem with the router keeping the ip of you pc and so it can't get another one and so connect to the interwebs. Simply restarting the router sorts that one out. Just thought it might be worth checking out as your wireless might still be fine. If that isn't the problem try releasing the ip in dos-prompt :)