If you could tell someone one thing about the OCR community, what would it be?

Flexstyle

I'm giving a speech tomorrow for my public speaking class, and the constraint given by the teacher was that it had to be on some sort of sub-culture or community. I think OCR definitely qualifies as that sort of thing.

So, what's one thing you would tell someone who has never heard of OCR? Besides, of course, the obvious "there are awesome video game remixes here!"

How helpful the community can be when it come to music tips/ feedback.

I can say i wouldn't be half the musician i am now (which still isn't much) without help from people on ocr driving me to push myself further musically.

It is a really welcoming community that has alot of cool people that can help you with a myriad of techniques,genres, and production in general.

Yeah, the community here is very helpful, and it's not just musically. When someone asks for help, usually the community helps with whatever they're dealing with. I'm pretty sure I saw relationship advice in the judge question thread a long time ago.

"Not only does the site focus on videogame remixes, but it also has an area for people who make their own original songs. People can post their work in progress, completed songs and receive constructive feedback on how to make their songs better; or if they are already good/exceptional, praise."

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck with your speech!

I would comment less on the subforums we have and talk a little more about how it's kind of impressive that we have an immensely diverse population in every way possible including geographic location, and yet we all have basically the same interests as each other. Tech, music, games, etc.

It's pretty hard to find people on here that DON'T share main, common interests with you.

I literally just did this for a public speaking last week. I gave a lecture and described OCR as a community that fosters quality VGM music (gave the example of the Aversa's and Soul Caliber V, too)!

I'm planning on mentioning SCV, Mass Effect 2, and Street Fighter Turbo HD Remix. I think for this crowd, Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac may be a bit too "underground," sadly. There are probably several other games that I could mention as well, but SCV/ME2/SFTHDR are the biggest ones I can think of.

Yeah, the community here is very helpful, and it's not just musically. When someone asks for help, usually the community helps with whatever they're dealing with. I'm pretty sure I saw relationship advice in the judge question thread a long time ago.

Yeah, the OCR community helps each other out in a multitude of ways. A perfect example is this very thread. From all my time here, the one thing that has really stuck with me is just how nice the community is. Many other communities/forums I've been in or around have their moments, sure, but I've yet to hang around any that are as consistently friendly and helpful as this one (sappy as that may sound).

Yeah, the OCR community helps each other out in a multitude of ways. A perfect example is this very thread. From all my time here, the one thing that has really stuck with me is just how nice the community is. Many other communities/forums I've been in or around have their moments, sure, but I've yet to hang around any that are as consistently friendly and helpful as this one (sappy as that may sound).

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've also noticed everyone on here tends to handle arguments and criticism much better than a lot of other forums. It's not some "lol, you're stupid, go off a cliff," sort of site. It's more civilized than that, and focuses more on the subject than tearing people into bits. There are disagreements, but they are much more geared to bettering than worsening.

Bah, ignore all I said. Nice, friendly people. :nicework:

Don't forget the awesome "April is Support OCR Month" - even though the music and site is free, the community donated over $7,500 last year to keep it running. I was surprised and felt a nice warm feeling last year when I saw that total! OCR, and by extension, VGM is obviously very important to a lot of people and not just a nerdy hobby.