The Legend of Korra (potential spoilers within)

KyleJCrb

Korra's flashback shows Toph seemingly getting blood-bent by the fellow on trial, who I'm assuming is Yakone (the man who threatened Republic City 42 years ago). It seems that Tarlok is somehow related Yakone; perhaps as a son or an apprentice.

Amon can lifebend/energybend/spaghettibend/whatever-you-want-to-call-it-bend, and we previously thought that only Aang (or the Avatar) could do that. Now that we've seen Tarlok bloodbend without the requisite full moon (and of course, Toph inventing Metalbending), we know that the rules about bending are never hard-and-fast.

The idea behind bloodbending isn't that complicated. There's water in blood, thus it follows that it can be bent. 80ish years is a long time, and I can't imagine that no other waterbender figured out that you can control someone by controlling the water in their body.

When Aang and Toph go to arrest Yakone in the flashback, Aang says he's 40 years old. Yakone was already much older than Aang at that point, possibly as much as 50 years old. Aang died 26 years later at the age of 66. Add 16 years to get to the current point in time, that would make Yanoke (if he was even still alive at this point) about 92 years old. Even if you put Yakone's age as 40 in the flashback, that still makes him at 80+ years old.

I highly doubt any bender, regardless of his skill (which he wouldn't have anymore in the first place) would be able to do any of the fighting or advanced techniques Amon is doing at that age.

So unless he's somehow become a cyborg with 1910s-equivalent technology (which might explain his resistance to bloodbending), it seems more likely Amon, whomeer he is, actually is a spiritbender, like the Lion turtle in the series finale of the last series spoke of to Aang.

If so, that makes him for more dangerous than any other bender of any other kind.

There people that have lived very long and still active lives, but they are rare and the majority of them are Avatars, so that pretty much excludes Amon being someone of great age.

It could very well be that Amon naturally developed the ability to remove bending on his own. Maybe he had a natural talent for it, or he researched it over years. Luckily, we'll have the entire show to build upon the mystery and get the answers. It will hopefully be around for at least a few years, giving us another great show to enjoy.

But I am kind of curious as to what the rest of the world looks like now. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Ba Sing Se and the Fire Nation. We caught a glimpse of the Southern Water Tribe in the first episode, but not much else. I want to see how everywhere else changed as well. Even if it's just a few clips here and there, it would be cool.

I'm gonna laugh when they unmask Amon and it turns out to not be anybody we've seen before. "OH MY GOD, IT'S...THAT...guy..."

Most likely. I thought it was Tarlok...until Amon showed up.

Honestly, it would be very, very strange if Amon turned out to actually have bending abilities, and just be hiding them. I mean, they did say that only the Avatar had the ability to take away bending. But it's quite possible that someone could learn that ability as others have learned metal bending and blood bending.

Most likely. I thought it was Tarlok...until Amon showed up.

Honestly, it would be very, very strange if Amon turned out to actually have bending abilities, and just be hiding them. I mean, they did say that only the Avatar had the ability to take away bending. But it's quite possible that someone could learn that ability as others have learned metal bending and blood bending.

it's totally the Earth King.

You know, the guy with a normal bear.