The Legend of Korra (potential spoilers within)

KyleJCrb

• 3 weeks later...
Damn, between the new Pokémon game in mid October and more Korra in September, this is going to be a fucking good autumn.

All I need now is something in November and BAM, perfect fall.

Winter, though, will still suck.

not excited for Zelda: A Link Between Worlds? Cause that's slated for a November release.

EDIT: Other news I saw that wasn't posted here.

LegendofKorra_Wan_SteveYeun-660x371.jpg

This is Wan, the first Avatar. He's voiced by Steven Yeun, known for his role as Glenn on The Walking Dead.

Wan’s story will take place 10,000 years before Korra’s time, and follow the teenage explorer and skilled bender as he tries to bring balance between mankind and the spirits, a quest that ultimately leads to becoming the first Avatar.

[...]

These episodes will also mark a significant stylistic departure from the usual aesthetics of Legend of Korra. ”To depict the world in Wan’s time, the creative team drew inspiration from ancient and traditional East Asian ink wash paintings and woodblock prints for the environments, color palettes, and stylizations of the elements,” said a Nickelodeon representative. “The results expand the vision of the Avatar world, but also stay very true to the building blocks of its visual influence.”

Source

Edited by Mirby

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They were alright.. I wasn't that impressed honestly (and I'm a huge fan of both series), compared with the rest of the Avatar series, but it IS early to make judgments, and it looked like they were trying to set up some pretty cool stuff. To reiterate, I wasn't impressed, but I'm hopeful

Edited by Phonetic Hero

They were alright.. I wasn't that impressed honestly (and I'm a huge fan of both series), compared with the rest of the Avatar series, but it IS early to make judgments, and it looked like they were trying to set up some pretty cool stuff. To reiterate, I wasn't impressed, but I'm hopeful

ditto, but not overall. I was impressed by everything except the main character; in fact, I'm kind of starting to dislike Korra a lot, and I hate when I start liking everything about a show except the protagonist. =/

I was really excited about this earlier in the year but just fizzled out and forgot to keep up with the episodes, but I've finally watched em and I'm caught up. I've got mostly mixed feelings (mainly concerning Korra):

SPOILERS BELOW

--------

1. Korra using the Avatar state like Super Saiyan mode isn't even funny to me. When she was racing against Tenzin's kids and used that nitro boost that was kind of amusing, but I dislike how TLA built up so much hype about how sacred yet greatly powered the Avatar State is... but now Korra is using it left and right while getting her butt handed to her left and right? I know, I know, she's not Aang... but she was boss status in the first season. Now it's just a little disappointing seeing The Avatar get tossed around so easily, but it's still early in the Season so I'm sure she'll get her act together.

2. again with Korra... I strongly do not remember Aang (or even any of the characters from TLA) being as... *insert least offensive possible term concerning Korra's naivete and melodramatic attitude here*

I get that the writers are trying to show how she's still growing and learning, but the extreme trope blindness is just silly: Once her uncle first appeared it was already painfully obvious what was going to happen. Her attitude right now just seems forced, not justified. Then again, I've just never liked the drama of the Water tribes.

:tomatoface:

outside of that, I do like everything else (even aside from Korra's temperament, her fighting animations are very nice and they never get boring, to me at least).

3. Eska and Bolin (and Desna, I guess) are hilarious. It's Sokka's goofy relationships all over again, and I don't mind that at all.

4. music is amazing again. I just watched for entertainment rather than scoping out everything, but it sounds like there were some recurring themes from TLA's Fire nation musical themes being played when Unalaq's army appeared. maybe just me.

5. It's obvious that Varrick is part of the White Lotus. :<

6. Mirby.... I'm telling you, my "oh shiii---" radar still keeps going haywire every time Asami shows up. She'll at least be a 'villain' for one or two episodes. Nice girl, but she's got sneaky femme fatale traits written all over her.

again, might just be me.

overall, it's cool, but for now I feel like Season 1 was much better story-wise. I'm mainly just looking forward to seeing how Wan's story is executed (and I'm hoping Iroh v2.0 makes another appearance... I don't remember if he died or something in S1).

to be fair, in book 1 she was mostly fighting those without bending (even though she didn't have the avatar state on her side), which isn't exactly a fair matchup. and even when she was fighting benders, she still had a bit of an unfair advantage being the avatar and all and having use of 3/4 of the elements. that's two more than any other bender she fought.

in this, she's been completely unprepared. even with the avatar state, angry spirits are powerful as fuck, and it looks like only one method is proven to defeat them. it's like korra's level 1 and the angry spirits are level 100; the avatar state can help, but it's still a completely lopsided battle.

that's why this is an important task for korra; she approaches everything head-on and feels fighting is the best way to win, but that's not how to defeat the spirits. this season will have korra learn that and temper her impulsiveness to the point where she'll more effectively be able to fulfill her role as avatar.

1. Korra using the Avatar state like Super Saiyan mode isn't even funny to me. When she was racing against Tenzin's kids and used that nitro boost that was kind of amusing, but I dislike how TLA built up so much hype about how sacred yet greatly powered the Avatar State is... but now Korra is using it left and right while getting her butt handed to her left and right? I know, I know, she's not Aang... but she was boss status in the first season. Now it's just a little disappointing seeing The Avatar get tossed around so easily, but it's still early in the Season so I'm sure she'll get her act together.

The only thing she's fought in the Avatar State was a spirit who was clearly unbeatable via conventional combat.

ahhhh.... point taken... I really didn't think of it like that at all nor did I notice.

and I don't necessarily disagree with her using The Avatar State against the spirit (and she obviously needed it to open the Portal), I just personally saw it as her using it casually rather than in a 'special' way like how Aang did it in TLA.

don't worry, I'm not one of those fans who thinks TLOK is crap compared to TLA because I do have high hopes for Korra, I just personally don't like her mannerisms as The Avatar yet.

dunno if I'm making sense. I just like ma' Avatars to be all stoic and shiz.

Something I just realized is how much Korra shares personality-wise with what we know of Kuruk. Kuruk was the previous Water Tribe avatar, and was quite the show-off. This all culminated in Koh the Face Stealer robbing him of the woman he loved to punish him for his boldness.

Though I don't think Koh is going to steal Mako's face, there is a brash demeanor common between the Korra and Kuruk, and it wasn't until Koh did what he did that Kuruk realized what he had done and what he was meant to do. Korra's gonna need a similar epiphany to realize her full potential as avatar as well.

Edited by Mirby

^precisely, which is why I'm so excited about seeing Wan brought into the story. I've got a feeling he's going to say something to Korra along the lines of "yeah, you can kick some serious butt, but you'd be unstoppable if you slowed down and cooled your head a little bit."

The Kuruk similarities are spot on.

yyyyeeeahh.... the Water Tribe has some of the craziest mofos in the entire series history.