Share your Kickstarters

Calum

POST LINKS TO YOUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGNS HERE - LETS SEE WHAT EVERYONE'S UP TO!

To address the first issue that'll come to mind, yes, this is borderline spamming but if you too have any interesting projects being funded via kickstarter i'd love to see them (and that might make this thread more community than "Hey Guys, GIVE ME YOUR MONEY")

Here's the one i'm involved in:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1331957958/team-notion-the-game

This is a game i'm writing music for. Old school 2d side scrolling beat 'em up, click the link for loads of details. It's going well so far. Feel free to donate if you like the sound of it or want any of those sweet rewards, if not then not to worry.

Pic:

3096ao3.jpg

Music:

http://soundcloud.com/calumbowen/notion

10 years ago, to just go to a public forum and say "hey, i got an idea, and i can do it, if i have the funds. but you have to give me the money first before i can give you the product" would be ridiculous. it didn't happen, all those deals went on behind closed doors. which is I love the Idea of kickstarter. The website really levels the playing field when it comes to getting ideas out there. God Bless The Internet.

now in my opinion, that's not the best part. the best part is that it actually allows for the market to be pretty fair. good ideas get accepted and funded and poor or poorly executed ideas get ignored and die. no losses for anyone. that way, The system works. nobody is forced to pay for a failing product or service.

Good Luck with your project! I hope your project turns out to be the former of the two i listed. 3,000 is a lot of money but you are already a quarter there. the game looks like it has potential.

I mainly browse the product design category and I've seen some cool ones, a theft resistant bike light, an aluminum pen, the printrbot (3d printer for 500 bucks). This website is one the shining examples of what the internet is capable of.

Congrats for VikingGuitar reaching his goal!

Yeah, i think kickstarter is a really good platform for amazing ideas that you can fund and be a part of.

Update on our kickstarter status - just reached $1000 (12 days to go - we're quite far behind) but we released a track from the OST for free download to celebrate getting to $1000 - here it is

I wonder if OCRemix would ever consider starting a kickstarter... i don't really know what for. But they could probably offer some pretty sweet rewards. A kickstarter for an album or something would likely enrage people like the facebook likes thing did x 1000!

Update on our kickstarter status - just reached $1000 (12 days to go - we're quite far behind)

I backed your project about a week ago, honestly I think it looks a lot better than the game that's on the front page today. It's a similar concept but your game art is just a lot nicer. You're not asking for that much I think you just need to get the word out on the right blogs/sites. My project was up on Kotaku for a couple hours and our backers spiked like crazy. Unfortunately our article got removed and reposted a couple days later, not sure why, but all our momentum got killed :/ But just getting eyes on your project is the biggest thing. In general around 1% of people who see it will contribute. Banner Saga is a great project but it's going through the roof because a lot of people are seeing it--I think it's on Kotaku and it's also on the front page of Kickstarter every other day. From what I've seen these really successful indie games are launching with news articles on Kotaku and getting funded within the first day or two.

It really doesn't hurt to ask/e-mail around, even a small article somewhere could put you well over your goal. I'd start by checking out various sites and finding out who is writing articles about small/indie game kickstarters like yours, then address your message to them when you e-mail the site... or find their associated e-mail if they're a staff writer. Make sure to include your best stills/concept art so it's not just a text e-mail. It's good to show them something first, just because they probably get a ton of e-mails. Since your goal isn't huge I'd focus on smaller/specialized blogs that are into oldschool games, comics, your genre/style, but try the big ones too... you never know. I think your actual goal doesn't mean that much on Kickstarter unless it's too high. Just look at this dude:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1929694110/artisan-dice

It will take some time but go for it dude!

Nah, the dice guy only wanted $300 but he got $90 grand. Some smaller projects use indiegogo, but it's kind of... I don't know. On kickstarter money is pledged, so if you don't make your goal you don't get funded. On indigogo you keep everything that's donated whether you raise your goal or not. Indigogo is definitely less legit.

What a perfect thread, LOL! Perfect for me to post the project i'm involved in, that is. You guys might have seen the thread I made for it a while back.

The project's name is Vigrior.

VIGRIOR (we don't blame you if it takes a few tries to pronounce) is a multi-platform real-time strategy game with a novel gameplay mechanic. Instead of controlling manually selected groups of individual units, you'll control a customized bundle of ships that act as a single, coherent unit; a Fleet. The ships in each fleet fly synchronized with each other, each ship type with a special set of skills.

- Vigrior's kickstarter bio

Kickstarter link: http://kck.st/H1zaQI

My work for Vigrior has mainly been in the soundtrack & SFX department. I've recently been producing tracks for promotional videos, instrumenting atmospheric scores for game levels, and musing about concepts for alien-like sounds for versatile playback.

I'd actually really love to hear what all of you guys think of the music! I've been producing for awhile but rarely open up to feedback (I'm too self-absorbed most of the time).

I'm not sure yet what the legalities would look like, but I know that personally, once the game is finished, I'd be happy to provide remix stems and MIDI's. Additionally, if anyone wants to collab on a track to maybe(?) be featured in the game, I'd be totally down to do that! Let me know :)

If you guys could take a look at our game and maybe pledge, that'd be awesome!

I wonder if OCRemix would ever consider starting a kickstarter... i don't really know what for. But they could probably offer some pretty sweet rewards.

I love Kickstarter, but everyone and their mother starting frivolous kickstarters that don't need to be done will cause the entire thing to collapse.

If you are mega passionate and have a dream, and can present it with enough fervor to get funded, more power to you. But with increased saturation, the less chance that any given project is going to get funded regardless of how good it is.

Not really any direct criticism here, just food for thought. It's kind of the feeling I got from the title of this thread, like EVERYONE should have a kickstarter, instead you know, saving money or something.

I love Kickstarter, but everyone and their mother starting frivolous kickstarters that don't need to be done will cause the entire thing to collapse.

If you are mega passionate and have a dream, and can present it with enough fervor to get funded, more power to you. But with increased saturation, the less chance that any given project is going to get funded regardless of how good it is.

Not really any direct criticism here, just food for thought. It's kind of the feeling I got from the title of this thread, like EVERYONE should have a kickstarter, instead you know, saving money or something.

commence backpedalling:

I agree. That it's not something everyone should do and i titled it "share your kickstarters" to detract from my own shameless promotion and encourage more community activity in the thread. Also the OCRemix kickstarter was kinda jus a dumb conversation starter.

backpedalling over...

I totally love kickstarter for allowing the public (at least those that see it) to become a part and fund a great idea.

@MrB - looks like you're doing well so far! This game looks solid and the music in the video is intense! You've done a great job. I'd love to collab (contact me via soundcloud below if you wish).

@Theophany, thanks for the backing! And your advice is completely right. As much as kickstarter is about having a great idea it's also about getting eyes on your page! We've got 1/3 of the time left and 1/2 of the money so we're a little behind - hopefully getting featured somewhere could give us a little spike!

Incidentally, as a reward for us hitting $1000 we released the credits track written by me with jay michael (no reason why that name would mean too much to anyone) providing vocals (also watch out for the guitar solo ;) ) here. :tomatoface: at my promotion.

How's progress going for everyone else? It's kinda scary thinking we're really not on target to make the goal $$$!

p.s. that guy's gonna make a lot of dice! That's insane.

I love the idea of Kickstarter. It's brilliant, its the future. And I like this thread to see what everyone in the community is up to!

I'm considering starting a Kickstarter campaign for my team's indie shmup we're developing. We could really use the funding to help with a few outside services we need but I keep dragging my feet. I know I've just been saving money and using that myself, but ... its nice to know there are options out there.

In any event, good thread! I'll keep my eyes on everyone's projects and spread the word because marketing is still king for these crowd funded campaigns.

Don't let anyone tell you your dream is frivolous. Start your kickstarter for your shmup, because from memory, I remember it looking really incredible. And one man's justifiable venture may not be another's and that's fine, it isn't for them to say what is frivolous and what isn't. In this economy, who can really afford to save the amount of money it really takes to complete a project? I'll admit asking for $200 to print CDs was a silly idea, but without asking for donations I will 100% not print any albums. And that's fine, if it'd be considered frivolous, I don't need to do it -- especially when people can just download my stuff for free most of the time.

@MrB - looks like you're doing well so far! This game looks solid and the music in the video is intense! You've done a great job. I'd love to collab (contact me via soundcloud below if you wish).

Thanks for the reply! I'll send you a message on Soundcloud ASAP! :)

@Theophany, thanks for the backing! And your advice is completely right. As much as kickstarter is about having a great idea it's also about getting eyes on your page! We've got 1/3 of the time left and 1/2 of the money so we're a little behind - hopefully getting featured somewhere could give us a little spike!

Incidentally, as a reward for us hitting $1000 we released the credits track written by me with jay michael (no reason why that name would mean too much to anyone) providing vocals (also watch out for the guitar solo ;) ) here. :tomatoface: at my promotion.

How's progress going for everyone else? It's kinda scary thinking we're really not on target to make the goal $$$!

@Calum

A lot of people make 70% of their funding in the last few days. You should check out that Takedown project: it's a game that was totally flatlining. In the last 10 days they completely redid their kickstarter video, and got on a bunch of blog websites and made one of the most dramatic comebacks ever on Kickstarter... like a $100K comeback or something. Granted their new video wasn't perfect, but people saw the effort and heart and it completely saved their project.

I think the strongest thing you can do right now is another video update or two explaining more stuff about the creation of your project and yourselves would be good. People always want to know more about who they're supporting and the story behind the project they're working on. We just did a simple video update recently with a little more background on the production and we got a wave of new backers. Restructuring rewards to give people an extra incentive to back their project OR up their donation to a higher reward tier could be good too. Something as simple as asking people what they'd like (questions and comments) etc goes a long way. If people see you are changing stuff up based on their feedback that's huge.

Also, just putting their name in the credits will go a long way. Right now there's no one in that category because it's a little high, considering your goal. People want their name attached to projects they support, especially because their helping, in their own way, to get this project off the ground. Maybe bumping that down to a lower tier would help boost your numbers. Other ideas might be exclusive stuff like background/tutorials on making an indie game or how to get get started could be solid too. Or do a from start to finish rendering of your characters--and something that just generally talks about your art style. Or maybe do something like a new level that's designed by backers in some way--through a forum or something where they have input into some aspect of the game. Double Fine is doing that which is pretty cool. Right now I think you could also make it by getting people to up their donation in the last few days, but that would be a last resort. Just some ideas. I think mainly, video updates to recap what's going on and what you have planned next, or new content, is a sure way to get more interest and buzz about your project.

I started a thread for my project awhile back but it got buried. I suppose I should have known better :) If anyone's interested in the sci-fi/fantasy film I'm working on, it's called Dust. We're also handing out Dust Trading Cards (check the updates), so if you'd like some mailed to you drop me a line.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1261313080/dust-0?ref=live

Thanks so much theopany - even though i took forever to reply - i sent the founder of notion games to this thread and he said he'd almost given up hope before reading your reply and lo and behold - we've reached the $3000 target! Amazing. 3 days left. Thanks so much to the support - i'm really appreciative that some people have donated from here!

Theopany - what's your role in the dust project? It looks pretty legit! Will have a closer look at that soon.

Nice man!! You got three days left keep pushing!! :) For Dust, I've been there since the beginning. I'm the co-creator, writer, and editor, collaborating with Mike since 2007. Ember Lab is pretty small, the core team is Mike, his brother Josh, me, and my friend Andy. I've been editing/sound designing the trailer, kickstarter video and updates and I also did some of the effects on the trailer. I was in Japan for the production and all the set building, and I have a really small cameo in the movie o_O

If you haven't voted for Dust on indiewire we could really use a boost:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/vote-for-project-of-the-week-will-it-be-god-granny-dust-or-masculinity-femininity

We're neck and neck with 2 other projects its madness!!

• 6 months later...

Not really a kickstarter, but still crowd funding (Plus there's free music involved :)):

http://www.gofundme.com/173f4o

This was started by my aunt (a talented violinist) in an attempt to be allowed to return to London after her visa recently ran out.

Also featured in Union Jack newspaper yesterday.

Check it out! It's at least worth a look for the story and song (which is pay what you like on bandcamp).

I wonder if OCRemix would ever consider starting a kickstarter... i don't really know what for. But they could probably offer some pretty sweet rewards. A kickstarter for an album or something would likely enrage people like the facebook likes thing did x 1000!
Not to mention a legal nightmare.

Man, talk about some sort of creepy premonition thing going on here...

Whoa I didn't realize the thread was that old, I thought you guys were just being ironic.

What was the Facebook likes thing all about? Been wondering why ReMixes don't have that button.

There was that promotion for the release of Maverick Rising to get a certain number of Likes on the OCR Facebook page. Stirred up a bit of a ruckus, but it was nothing compared to the Kickstarter Shitstorm of 2012.