Final Fantasy VII - Holding my thoughts in my heart

Blindzoom

The major part of my friends which have listened to this said that the bassdrum was too invasive (thus very little of them are into electronic music), however thaks for your opinion, i'll try and get a shot at it.

The big problem is that in this version i had the chance of getting a semi-professional mastering from a guy i know, and i don't know if i'll have the chance to get another one, so i consider this my final version.

Here you can hear a version i mastered myself, and it's clear that my mastering skills (and probably also equipment) are not at the same level.

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/final-fantasy-7-holding-my

Right now i'm focusing a little more on tutorials about mastering,maybe in the future i shall do a better work.

its gotten better! :D

but the hoover i meant is a little higher, now it makes your track go blurry. i have the perfect hoover sound right here on my synth lol. ill try to add it to you track if thats ok? its hard to explain sounds, sounds should be heard!

Please go ahead and make yorseflf at home, i'm curious to hear what you'll do!

Wow. This is one. Awesome. Remix!

Really loving your take on it!

If I were into this stuff myself I'd tell you some constructive criticism, but :-/

Thanks brian, i really appreciate it.

heres an example recording of the hoover: http://snd.sc/HIGPlL

wow, quite a badass synth out there, and pretty complex too.I'll try and do something similar, but i don't know how i'm gonna fit in the mix.

Just changing the main kick gave the result of melting the track witout ann appropriate re-equing, if i change the main synth with something so big, i'll probably have to redo the whole eq:)

• 1 month later...
i have a roland juno here where i can probably make a sf2 bank from for you to use in dance mixes? as you can hear from my mixes (if youve heard em) im mainly into dance/trance :P heh

Sorry for answering this late, but i've been busy lately.

yesterday i (finally) had time to work a little bit on the remix,i've tried to change the main synth, but in the end i like how the original one sound and fits in the mix.

If you can do a sf2 bank, i'll glad to give it a try!

However, here's the latest version, i think it's better than the last one:

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-final-rekicked

• 2 weeks later...

The track was going so well, up to around 0:45 when the drums came in. They just aren't good. The rest of the sound design works well, the drums are terrible. Yeah and the lead is a bit bland, but not _bad_.

There's a rhythm clash here, mostly the hihat rhythm clashing with the triplet beat of everything else. A failed attempt at polyrhythmic music?

Some cool chords here, 2:25 clashes with the bass tho, and I thought I heard some other clashes with tracks further in the background before that. Watch your writing.

Breakdown and build-upworks, some parts better than others (3:08 to 3:318 my fav part). This is a track based around breakdowns and build-ups, which is fine, but it's easy to have too many and just throw in a breakdown when you don't know what else to do in a track. Some more deliberate build-ups and bigger payoffs at the end of the buildups would make the track better, and reduce the need for so many breakdowns.

Really weird compression mishap at 4:15.

PRODUCTION

- Drums have no energy - not quite true, but they don't have the impact they should have, they're just using their energy to make the rhythm clunky and

- Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics) - mostly not a big deal, but that 4:15 thing is weird

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

- Too repetitive - drums could vary a bit more, the genre calls for repeated elements but there's room to change stuff up

I can hear you know your toolbox, there's a lot of cool automation tricks you use. Your drum sound design and mixing needs work, and figuring out how rhythms work together (or how they don't) should also help. You can do it.

Love the build in the beginning and I love 2:30 ish. I think the transition into 2:30 could be a little smoother, though.

I'm not a huge fan of this type of music, but I can appreciate a good mix when I hear it. The kick during the last minute was a little invasive, but other than that I think this is good.

Thanks a lot for your advice and your appreciation!

The track was going so well, up to around 0:45 when the drums came in. They just aren't good. The rest of the sound design works well, the drums are terrible. Yeah and the lead is a bit bland, but not _bad_.

There's a rhythm clash here, mostly the hihat rhythm clashing with the triplet beat of everything else. A failed attempt at polyrhythmic music?

Some cool chords here, 2:25 clashes with the bass tho, and I thought I heard some other clashes with tracks further in the background before that. Watch your writing.

Breakdown and build-upworks, some parts better than others (3:08 to 3:318 my fav part). This is a track based around breakdowns and build-ups, which is fine, but it's easy to have too many and just throw in a breakdown when you don't know what else to do in a track. Some more deliberate build-ups and bigger payoffs at the end of the buildups would make the track better, and reduce the need for so many breakdowns.

Really weird compression mishap at 4:15.

PRODUCTION

- Drums have no energy - not quite true, but they don't have the impact they should have, they're just using their energy to make the rhythm clunky and

- Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics) - mostly not a big deal, but that 4:15 thing is weird

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

- Too repetitive - drums could vary a bit more, the genre calls for repeated elements but there's room to change stuff up

I can hear you know your toolbox, there's a lot of cool automation tricks you use. Your drum sound design and mixing needs work, and figuring out how rhythms work together (or how they don't) should also help. You can do it.

Do'n't know if it's true, but i surely will try my best:)

I'm not sure to undertsand what you're talking about when you point at a rythm clash, surely it's my ignorance,however i'm switching back to work in progress and i will put my ears at work in figuring out what's wrong.

Last 3 months have been truly bad IRL for me, but now seems like i'll have more free time\clear mind to put into this hobby, i really want to do this good.

To do list:

Intro is good, don't touch it:)

Kick is crap, the only thing i can say is that i tried a couple of different mastering configurations since i switched to mod review, and both of them were more focused on "leaving the center" as it is, giving more power to the drums and consequentially an improvement in the rythm itself.

I don't know if i'm gonna change the kick sample itself, building a new one from scratch,or giving the actual one a different equing.

Transition into 2.30, i think i'll poimt to something less abruting and more fluid

Overcompression: probably this problem will resolve itself while i'm trying different mastering setups.

The problem at 4.15 is a problem of the mix itself, i put a reverse cymbal on an almost infinite ratio sidechain over the mix, it was one of the latest thing i added to the mix,i wanted a single sound to "break" the track before the outro, but seems like it was a bad idea (and probably its volume is too loud, so it cracked a bit too much when i mastered the track).I'll try lower it down and maybe giving a lower attack\longest release to the sidechain

Repetiveness:the only point i was quite sure to have done a decent job was in giving the track multiple variations, but hell! not enough!

I can promise you nothing, if inspiration come the track will change.

Sorry for the long post, it's just a long way of say thank you all, i'm back to WIP and i will make treasure of you advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, worked on transitions and on eq\mixing levels.

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-03-07-2012

I feel like the transition from 2'20'' to 2.35'' need more work and more changes on rythm patches are on schedule.

the problem is reason started giving me the "computer too slow" message, the song is getting too complex for my poor processor to handle, and working on this is now a pain, i simply cannot listen to the track from start to finish without breaks anymore:(

Kick is still terrible. :( It is completely lost in the mix. EQ out with a parametric EQ everything around 800Hz on the kick. It will help the track breathe considerably.

The Open Hat is way too loud and unpleasant in the high frequencies. No way a hat should ever over shadow a good sounding synth part.

I believe a lot of the issues in the song relate to mixing. The levels are off all over the place. Try starting off with this basic 2 part tutorial:

(should provide a nice reference point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYzUkjKCTks&feature=plcp

Kick is still terrible. :( It is completely lost in the mix. EQ out with a parametric EQ everything around 800Hz on the kick. It will help the track breathe considerably.

The Open Hat is way too loud and unpleasant in the high frequencies. No way a hat should ever over shadow a good sounding synth part.

I believe a lot of the issues in the song relate to mixing. The levels are off all over the place. Try starting off with this basic 2 part tutorial:

(should provide a nice reference point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYzUkjKCTks&feature=plcp

Thank you Avaris for your advice, i'm still working on the rythmic part, but let me know if i'm moving in the right way with the kick

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-07-11-2012

and previous version for reference

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-03-07-2012

• 2 weeks later...

Updating:

I've got the kick to breath a little more, redone must of the rythmic part and changed some levels\eq, now this seems more cohesive to me, but at this point i gave far too listenings to this track, so i hope someone with fresh ears gives his two cents on this.

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-07-20-2012

and previous version for comparison

http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-07-11-2012

I think i'm almost done, i'm going to give a little more variation on rythmics, but overall i like this.

Hey kick sounds much better! A lot of the synths seem to be overly bright. Might just be my headphones at work.

I think where the track needs the most work is the pacing. A lot of the ideas are good. The arrangement and changes in levels of energy need to be improved. This can be helped by choosing where to use certain sections. It's all about drawing in the listener and keeping them interested over the entire length of the track.

Not going to go back over prev versions, but of the 07.20.2012:

You've already had some good technical feedback so here's a more emotional overview.

Loved the slow intro, the build was just right and when things kicked off at the minute mark I found myself tapping my foot along. Perfect; that's just what you want :mrgreen:

Wasn't too keen on the changup at the 2 minute mark, somewhere along the way the middle section lost my interest. Don't know why. Fortunately at the 2.30 breakdown my interest was regained and I loved it from there to the end.

Well done for a good track, I really enjoyed it