A first symphonic try

Colth

I'm quiet new to serious attempts of soundtrack composing I used to do more electronic stuff and started yeaaars ago with writing midis.

Now that I got my hands on some soundfonts I wanted to try something orchestral

http://soundcloud.com/colth/colth-plan_change

I'm still practising and I know I need to improve (in general, not only this project) on percussion, fillers, dymanic... but I dont know where to start.

• 2 weeks later...

I like where you are going with the piano and strings, but the percussions have ruined it all -- percussions work with a well-defined bass, and this one doesn't seem to have any pronounced bass apart from the contrabass, which is insufficient. Either go for 1) a pronounced bass (if you're using FL Studio, BooBass should do the trick), or 2) no percussions at all. That, and the percussions themselves need to be epic. Timpani?

Then, dynamics. I liked how the piece built up from the intro on to 0:30, I could see tension rising. However, there was not much dynamic change from 0:30 - the piece sounded flat. This gashes the entire listening experience: this is a piece with a lot of potential, and that potential can be reached with rising tension. Instrument layering is good, but also note velocity changes.

Another suggestion I would like to make for this piece is the use of tempo automation clips. If you're on FL, you can do so by right-clicking the tempo display box and clicking "Create automation clip". Then you can modify the tempo accordingly in the playlist viewer. If you're not using FL, there are methods of modifying the tempo. The reason why I mention it is because there are places in this piece where a good slowdown will make the piece sound more grand. Especially towards the end.

I'm not an expert on the other things that you mention, but I can tell you this -- my first pieces were pretty much like yours, and I know it takes constant experimentation. Hang in there! You have good ideas, and I know your efforts will bear fruit.

Keep up the good work, improve on what needs to be improved, and you'll be awesome in no time!

Hey, thanks alot. I really appreciate that kind of feedback :)

Yea, I use FL Studio and will most likely try your advices.

Do give it a shot!

I can tell you this -- I have received help on FL Studio from two people on NG already, and I'm passing on to you what they've passed on to me. :) You can do it!

I'm struggling with FL myself, but hey.