OCR01399 - *YES* Mega Man 'Electrolytic Man'

djpretzel

REALLY nice stuff here. This is a keeper. Overall production values are extremely strong, with crisp mastering and dynamics - rhythm section is tight and varied, levels are balanced well against eachother, lots of variation in the instruments and synthwork so nothing gets stale. The real instruments like the piano and strings fit in very well with all the electronic elements, which is often a tough feat to pull off. Finally, effects processing and automation is done tastefully as well.

Arrangement-wise this wins too. It's clearly an Elec Man remix, but there's original material, stuff that plays on the progression of the source tune, variation, the works. Structurally I have no problems either - there's a lot of change, action, and motion that keeps the listener interested.

I really have no problems with this one. An easy YES

OCR Hosted NSF - Track 4

2:00 was a solid change of pace with the melodic instruments taking up more of the rhythmic weight than the drums for a bit when before they were just sitting on top letting the percussion do all of the momentum generating. The layering here is well thought out and things GELL on a regular basis! Not much more to say about this piece. Cute little ReMix!

YeS

Wow, this opening piano is beautiful...and it doesn’t stop there. The entirety of this mix is packed with rich (read PHAT) elements that fill the soundfield, beats and transitions that get the blood flowing, great synth processing and creative takes on the theme that would make Papa proud. That morphing synth at 2:47-2:51 is HOT. The piano fading back in subtly signals the end of this mix which is really a shame because this could easily hold my attention for much longer. Great stuff from all involved.

YES

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman1.zip - "Elec Man Stage" (Track 8)

Disliked the mechanical piano intro, but the atmosphere was good, including some solid string work in the background that didn't sound exposed alongside some pads to further fill things out. The piano was too plunky, but the intro was a good homage to the original before retaining the background instrumentation and transitioning into some beats at :41.

Hit a fairly good electronica progression at :54 though the soundfield felt empty until 1:07 when the supporting instrumentation came back. Gotta be bleh on the mechanical way the piano was used again, but it nonetheless was in the forefront of some good original composition that worked seamlessly with the style of the source material. Nice subtle idea at 1:34 to quietly bring in that pad playing a piece of the Elec Man melody. Over halfway through and still waiting for the meat of the mix to develop, but this slow build was working out really nicely.

The synth lead at 2:12 referenced other parts of the theme in an understated but recognizable way. Nice effects on the lead from 2:48-2:51 for the transition point. Really smart arrangement ideas this time around. It's nothing like that older Chrono Cross sub that got rejected.

The arrangement was verbatim from 2:51-onward, which was a creative disappointment, and would have put the mix down if it weren't for the previous interpretive ideas, but the overall package was good, which is the most important thing.

I already knew MaJIN could bring it, so congratulations to Ambient for collabbing on a track that displayed a lot more structure and focus than his previous work, and also tomatsu for what I'm sure was a critical role in the track as well. I hope that all of you keep developing so that your solo work is just as strong and well-put together. Majin in particular had some whiny/ROFL words for me when he and Ambient's Chrono Cross sub was rejected last time around:

Hey, if you got a problem, say it to my face! Fuck you! No, i'm not cool with you. you let the midi rippers on the site. but diss our piece. you can't even compose son. Where's proof and knowledge of music? "Toyoda Disco?" You played politics with my track son. And you let darke judge a song of mine? knowing he hates me? Do fuck that dity taliban in the ass? Anyways, I quit the music game, you're a fag. and I really wish I could beat you down in real life.

First off, I'm gonna ask that the letter be left right here in its entirety, even with all that childish shit in there. It's important to see & understand how pissed off some people get when genuinely subpar material they've made is rejected. That's how some artists feel. So on account of Majin being pissed off about "TimeLords" being rejected, he conclusively thinks there's all this political game going on with how material is judged. ambient as well.

Having listened to works of theirs and given honest 1-on-1 feedback and criticism for both, and played material by both of them on my radio show, it's disappointing that when they hear something they don't like such as a NO vote, it's immediately rationalized as hating and politicking. Stop acting like babies and continue to make good submissions like this, and you won't have any reason to complain.

The improvement compared to "TimeLords" was good with some stronger-sounding synths (particularly the lead), the supporting beats/elements locking together much more tightly, as well as some creative arrangement ideas most of the way through, everything that "TimeLords" should have been. You've got it all wrong, bros. Don't play politics with me.

YES

I don't think this is a very daring interpretation, but it's a good arrangement regardless. The synths are interesting and of good quality. The beats really drive this forward, as they should for a mix of this nature. I actually liked the piano, though I will agree with Liontamer's comment on the mechanical nature of it. However, it's pretty par for the course on a lot of electronic material. Production in general is a huge leap from what we've heard from majin/ambient before. The sounds all sit in the mix nicely.

The problem with some of majin's older stuff is the polish and execution was just not there. Here, everything has its own place and they all work together. There's cohesion and good pacing. While I don't think it's the most daring interpretation, there's a solid and tangible quality to the mix that deserves a YES. Keep improving guys, this was a good first step. Well done.