**RECRUTING** Phoenix Wright: Remnants of the Past (Big Project, Requiring Soundtrack)

Hi there, OCRemix! I come to you today in hopes of finding assistance for the creation of a soundtrack for a project that I (along with many others) have been working on for quite some time now.

coverav.png

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE TRAILER HERE!

I present to you, Phoenix Wright: Remnants of the Past! It will be a full-sized, fully playable fangame of the Ace Attorney series, but it will fit into the official timeline to date as well. The story will feature all the major aspects of the Ace Attorney universe up until Apollo Justice (including the characters and their backstories), but will also include a cast of new characters as well.

Let me pitch it to everyone bluntly. I am requesting to find some assistance in the development of a brand new soundtrack in the style of the original games. Each track only needs to be about 2-3 minutes, but an average PW soundtrack runs about 30-ish tracks. So yes, this is a HUGE request and I'm not even sure anyone will have the time and interest to help out with such a large project, but this is one of the only places I really can rely on for solid talent. However, this one requires even more tracks. Anyone who helps won't have strict deadlines against them most of the time.

With that said, I'll explain to the best of my ability exactly what it is I need. As mentioned, it'll be a grand total of around 50 tracks, each ranging slightly around 1-3 minutes in length. The tracks all fit some sort of occasion or character and will always play in their appropriate places. Each track should have an actual song of about 1 minute, and then it should loop cleanly a couple times to fill the rest of the time. I'm not in charge of the music placement, but I believe whatever is created will be turned into a mod track which will allow it to loop forever without awkward pausing in between. Basically, this means that all tracks should have a start and end that can connect together smoothly. I'd like to note that I'm wanting a sort of blend of Trials and Tribulations' soundtrack and Apollo Justice's soundtrack, which were more dramatic and somewhat darker than their predecessors and their tracks.

For references (the original soundtracks):

is a link for Apollo Justice's soundtrack on YouTube.

is a link for Trials and Tribulations' soundtrack on YouTube.

I'll make a separate post with all the tracks required and a description for each one. Link here.

So as you can see, there are quite a few tracks involved, and there may be even a few more that need to be added later on, but not too many. I thank you for reading all of this, and would very much love to find somebody talented to help bring this game to life with a vibrant soundtrack the original fans will enjoy. I would like to mention that although I very much appreciate any sort of help anyone offers, I'd like the freedom to amend or even deny tracks I don't think fit well. Unless it's an extreme case, I'll very gladly try and fix whatever's wrong by helping out in any way possible.

Thank you, everyone! Really, really hope to find someone!

I admit that I'm (sadly) not familiar with the game series as I ought to be, so I don't know if the soundtrack is well suited for vocal work. If it is, I'd love to offer up my voice to any of the composers that would like it. Either way, you mentioned you were also looking for voice actors, which I can also do for you. If you need me to send in some work, just let me know what you need me to do, and where to send it.

I admit that I'm (sadly) not familiar with the game series as I ought to be, so I don't know if the soundtrack is well suited for vocal work. If it is, I'd love to offer up my voice to any of the composers that would like it. Either way, you mentioned you were also looking for voice actors, which I can also do for you. If you need me to send in some work, just let me know what you need me to do, and where to send it.

Thank you, I sent you a message regarding the information involved. Hope to hear from you in this regard. ;)

Whoah, hm. I dunno.

I am a huge Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban/Kenji fan!

I'm so much of a loser that for the past 9+ months I have listened to the OST's of Phoenix Wright 1,Apollo Justice and Miles edgeworth in bed nearly every night as I go to sleep.

Who did the music for the trailer or is it a mash up of various arrangements like the official Orchestral albums?

Personally, I think if you want it in the style of the games. Then the same styles of instrumentation/low quality sampled instruments should be used.

And the only real barrier with that is getting down the near exact same audio/sample quality.

Perhaps modern samples can be used(unless someone for example, makes a soundfont of the instruments from GS4/AJ) and then plugins can be used to degrade the sound quality to give off that same sort of feeling.(The samples would also have to be Dry. So that means no to samples that have un removeable reverb)

Also: Possibly the sound limitations of the DS should also be taken into mind in order to get similar results to the originals.

"A SSEQ can have at maximum 16 tracks, notes in the range of 0..127 (middle C is 60). Each quartet note has a fixed tick length of 48. Tempo in the range of 1..240 BPM (Default is 120). The SSEQ will not be played correctly if tempo higher than 240."

I'd love to help — I've watched playthroughs of games in the series, but I haven't played one myself. All I'd like to know is what kind of feel we're going for — are we going for standard Ace Attorney fare (MIDI-sounding stuff), or are we taking it further and making it orchestral?

Wow, that's fantastic news, thank you. That's the thing, I'm hoping for somewhat of a mixture. Majority I'd like kept in the standard style, but there's some tracks that differ from the regular selection and that needs some different types of work. Orchestral music is very nice, but in-game it just doesn't work too well.

I'd love to hear more elaboration on what you've created and how things might work out. Thanks :)

Whoah, hm. I dunno.

I am a huge Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban/Kenji fan!

I'm so much of a loser that for the past 9+ months I have listened to the OST's of Phoenix Wright 1,Apollo Justice and Miles edgeworth in bed nearly every night as I go to sleep.

Who did the music for the trailer or is it a mash up of various arrangements like the official Orchestral albums?

Personally, I think if you want it in the style of the games. Then the same styles of instrumentation/low quality sampled instruments should be used.

And the only real barrier with that is getting down the near exact same audio/sample quality.

Perhaps modern samples can be used(unless someone for example, makes a soundfont of the instruments from GS4/AJ) and then plugins can be used to degrade the sound quality to give off that same sort of feeling.(The samples would also have to be Dry. So that means no to samples that have un removeable reverb)

Also: Possibly the sound limitations of the DS should also be taken into mind in order to get similar results to the originals.

The music in the trailer was a mixture of two parts from an orchestral track of the original albums. It's actually best to tackle this in the way the program we're making this on accepts, so that means a small track that can be looped, because we can either enter them as .mp3 files or convert them into repeatable mod files (.it files, I believe).

Hey there, thanks again^^ I just want to make sure: These tracks that are to be created are originals, not remixes. Just wanted to make sure that was clear, because there are plenty of remixes I could use, but we're searching for a soundtrack created from scratch.

Wouldn't that be departing from Phoenix Wright's OST altogether, then? o.O

Not exactly, it's just that there's an ocean of fangames that just use the original music or remix it, so we want a soundtrack in the style of the originals without copying the tune or making them sound too similar. We still want them to have an AA feel and to be created like an AA soundtrack.

Not exactly, it's just that there's an ocean of fangames that just use the original music or remix it, so we want a soundtrack in the style of the originals without copying the tune or making them sound too similar. We still want them to have an AA feel and to be created like an AA soundtrack.

But think about the gamers! They'll be looking for those songs because they are the "trademarks" of a song, so to speak. What is a new Super Mario game without throwbacks to the themes from SMB all the way to SMW of any sort? Similarly, are people going to think highly of our AA spinoff if we don't include the classics?

I trust I won't be alone in saying the key is not to make ours completely different. The key is to truly make the game, the soundtrack, everything, stand out. We don't want players to be left disappointed, and we want to be confident that we've done something that has surpassed even the first AA game.

Well yes, but like I said, if we just wanted the originals then we wouldn't have to request anything. :P

We already have access to all of the original tracks plus remixes that other people have made; we need an additional album at this point. And in the spirit of the original series, each game uses a different soundtrack, so this'll be the same in that manner.

That plus, there are plans to use some originals, but only where it is really needed. Either way, as someone who has played through the series several times, I can say that from Trials & Tribulations to Apollo Justice the music changed to a darker feel, and from AJ to Investigations it turned more jazzy. Even in the Mario universe Mario Bros, Mario World, Mario Land and Mario Galaxy are all very different when it comes to music; I'm afraid it's one way or the other with this one, since the team seems to all agree that it needs a new soundtrack as opposed to a simple remix or throwback.

Well yes, but like I said, if we just wanted the originals then we wouldn't have to request anything. :P

We already have access to all of the original tracks plus remixes that other people have made; we need an additional album at this point. And in the spirit of the original series, each game uses a different soundtrack, so this'll be the same in that manner.

That plus, there are plans to use some originals, but only where it is really needed. Either way, as someone who has played through the series several times, I can say that from Trials & Tribulations to Apollo Justice the music changed to a darker feel, and from AJ to Investigations it turned more jazzy. Even in the Mario universe Mario Bros, Mario World, Mario Land and Mario Galaxy are all very different when it comes to music; I'm afraid it's one way or the other with this one, since the team seems to all agree that it needs a new soundtrack as opposed to a simple remix or throwback.

Right, but I don't see the point -- a changing of feel would also make it a remix, wouldn't it?

Either way, I'm fine with the team asking for a new soundtrack, and I'll try work on something the minute I get my hands back on FL.

Well, a remix is technically taking an already existing track and modifying that in some way, isn't it? These should be original songs just with the concept that they're for an AA game as a reminder. :D

Either way, many thanks. Don't worry about a thing, I've played the games and have had lots of time to think all of this through. :P

For certain things, like character themes. Melodies can be kept from the original songs or just general arrangements of those songs because those are THOSE character's Theme's.

I would also recommend keeping tunes like

Because it is used throughout the series in many games.( I may be remembering this one wrong actually lol)

If not the original, some variation/arrangement of it.

I can't stress that enough. Character Themes and the suspense theme are just how the music has worked in those games and it should stay that way to retain the Gyakuten Saiban feeling when playing the game.

For certain things, like character themes. Melodies can be kept from the original songs or just general arrangements of those songs because those are THOSE character's Theme's.

I would also recommend keeping tunes like

Because it is used throughout the series in many games.

If not the original, some variation/arrangement of it.

I can't stress that enough. Character Themes and the suspense theme are just how the music has worked in those games and it should stay that way to retain the Gyakuten Saiban feeling when playing the game.

Like I said, in certain parts yes. All that's needed to be said at the moment is that the tracks listed here are required. Can't really reveal too much about what the final plans are because it's sort of a secret still. :3

Least I can say is that it's not going to lose the feeling of the AA games. I've played too much of them to not know how they feel. :P

Wait...wasn't the AA just supposed to be an abbreviation of Ace Attorney?

THANK YOU. Seriously, thank you.

The whole reason behind my shortening of Ace Attorney into AA was just to quickly get the point across that a game wouldn't sound like it's from the series without the motifs from its previous songs, or the similar atmosphere in general.

THANK YOU. Seriously, thank you.

The whole reason behind my shortening of Ace Attorney into AA was just to quickly get the point across that a game wouldn't sound like it's from the series without the motifs from its previous songs, or the similar atmosphere in general.

Which is why I said that I wanted the tracks to keep their original atmosphere, but what we don't want is for it to literally take elements from existing tracks. Every Ace Attorney game (while using a couple themes throughout like this one will) has entirely new songs. Heck, they even jump back and forth with tones and genres.

I just want to check and make sure you're okay with all of these new tracks being like this, because as much as I don't want to say it, you don't sound too comfortable with how we'd like things to run. I do respect that we're making the request here, but the entire team is composed of Ace Attorney fans/veterans who know the game inside out, so we do know what we're doing. I'll just mention that if you're feeling uncomfortable with this in any way, this is a big request so it may be in everyone's best interest to find someone else before getting too far in; we do need someone who can work with us on each track from start to finish to be made in the way we planned. Sorry for those previous notes, but it kind of did sound like you had your own separate ideas- just wanted to triple check while I had the chance.

Which is why I said that I wanted the tracks to keep their original atmosphere, but what we don't want is for it to literally take elements from existing tracks. Every Ace Attorney game (while using a couple themes throughout like this one will) has entirely new songs. Heck, they even jump back and forth with tones and genres.

I just want to check and make sure you're okay with all of these new tracks being like this, because as much as I don't want to say it, you don't sound too comfortable with how we'd like things to run. I do respect that we're making the request here, but the entire team is composed of Ace Attorney fans/veterans who know the game inside out, so we do know what we're doing. I'll just mention that if you're feeling uncomfortable with this in any way, this is a big request so it may be in everyone's best interest to find someone else before getting too far in; we do need someone who can work with us on each track from start to finish to be made in the way we planned. Sorry for those previous notes, but it kind of did sound like you had your own separate ideas- just wanted to triple check while I had the chance.

I trust you guys. :)

Just a suggestion, http://nitrotracker.tobw.net/

if you have a homebrew capable DS you could write the music with NitroTracker.

What'd be more authentic than that eh?

Also: You may want all new music. But I think it is important to retain Character Themes, and trial themes on a per character basis for User familiarity.

Trust me, as a user that would make sense to me.