OCR01392 - Tsugunai "Static Wonderland"

djpretzel

Having listened to this so much more since I judged it, I really came around to appreciating ALL of the choices exercised here. This was one (if not the) most professional-sounding piece I've heard in my time on the panel, and it's an absolute must-have. Pieces like this make the site as whole look better. While on vacation last week, I had my girlfriend listening to the mix, and, besides the actual static sections (which do work well, I've come to understand), she thought it was really well-done.

I feel sorry for anyone who misses out on this one. Thanks a lot, Kunal & Christian!

Being only familiar with Xenogears of the bunch shouted out to in the melody... and then not even catching a reference there, as usual I was skeptical. At 7:20 this mix, you'd think, might be pushing a few repetition tolerances.

But good gravy; what a fantastic mix.

The accordian (as you'll see at the bottom of this page) is one that I think is tremendously underrated. One of the most beautiful sounding instruments there is.

Also on that page you'll notice I have some of my favourite OCR's posted, and I assure you this mix nearly immediately made that outdated. I'll have to update it with this in there as soon as possible.

This song is nearly impossible for me to genrefy, it is a little bit of everything. Soundtrack, funk, jazz, prog rock, um... accordian... and not a second of it isn't sexy imo.

Excellent, excellent, excellent work. I demand more from you two.

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. Glad you're all enjoying it. I just wanted to thank the judges, too, for being so great about this mix--it was backlogged for nearly two months and they were pretty cool about leaving it up there the whole while. So thanks guys :D

Also, while Christian did a fantastic job encoding this for OCR regulations, some of you might want to check out the full 192 kbps resolution over at VGMix ;)

• 3 weeks later...
But good gravy; what a fantastic mix.

The accordian (as you'll see at the bottom of this page) is one that I think is tremendously underrated. One of the most beautiful sounding instruments there is.

This song is nearly impossible for me to genrefy, it is a little bit of everything. Soundtrack, funk, jazz, prog rock, um... accordian... and not a second of it isn't sexy imo.

Excellent, excellent, excellent work. I demand more from you two.

Wholeheartedly agreed. The accordian, the harp, the bass ... beyond perfection.

This song is damn sexy. Wasn't too fond of the static like some others, but aside from that, HOT CAKES. This is the perfect song to chill out to. I can just imagine myself back in Paris, slouching in an oversized chair in an outdoor patio, with this sexy beast playing loud and clear, an espresso in one hand and a dark hefty beer in the other, and watching the fine women go about their way. What I wouldn't give for that experience right now.

• 1 month later...

I may have posted earlier but I'm not very familiar with the source tunes.

I also may have posted earlier if I thought I would have anything meaningful to contribute. The vibe that each of the selected instruments portrays is not something to be missed. The bassline is funky-fresh, the accordian and violin combo gives the melodies a unique taste, and the drums are fantastic. The only choice I question is the harp around 1:45. It could have probably used a bit more humanization. Or I could be dead wrong, as I said, this song is too good for me to be able to meaningfully critique.

• 2 years later...

If there was ever a mix to use to convince people to use a live bassline, this one is it. As far as pro sounding, this completely takes the cake. THe piano, bass, drum programming, violin, it's all fantastic, and though I don't really like the static, I can appreciate it.

Great expressive performances and a whole lot of interpretation makes this one a super winner; I love the interplay between all the lead instruments; everything gets it's change to shine, and shine it does.

A++ would listen again.

It's impressive how this piece incorporates a lot of sources, yet it's very coherent. The accordian is great, beautiful and very dramatic. Reminds me of Kimmo Pohjonen, although possibly because he's the only accordianist I know of. ;) I love the static too, and the piano, and the live bass.. delicious. Only flaw in this mix is the choppy sampley violin. But that's minor. This track is major.

(sorry, cheap pun)

--Eino

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazing.

The accordion use reminds me of Yuki Kajiura. The delayed acoustic guitar gives a solid ambiance to this mix and the bass is always solid and complex while not being overplayed. Many parts seem to be experimental stuff but it all adds up into a coherent whole. Often, when trying new stuff like this, needlessly adding complexity comes at the expense of musicality, but this is not the case here.

In fact, since this song has no definite melody, it is more an experience than a hummable tune. Definitely try to listen to this one with the volume cranked up and pay attention to all the little details.

Congratulations on creating a weird progressive song that simply WORKS.

• 1 year later...

Admittedly, the intro feels a little creepy like it's some haunted radio tuning in.

After that it's got a fine groove going. It has such an eclectic mix of instruments that a lot is going on. At times it even feels like it's switched to another song on my playlist, some of the stylistic changes feel that distinct.

Needless to say, I like this mix a lot. Between the very static atmospheric touches in the intro and ending and the way the sound scape varies greatly and nicely, this is an amazing mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01392 - Tsugunai "Static Wonderland"