As The Windmill Turns- Song of Storms (OOT) Concept Remix

Organgrinder

This is my first remix for OCR. I love Zelda games/music and decided to make a concept-based remix of the Windmill Hut song from Ocarina of Time.

Here's the concept (I know it may be cheesy, but this is just how I write a lot of my music):

An adolescent boy feels useless and outcast from society. He meets a girl who gives him the power to control the weather. The two fall in love. They get married and are dancing at their wedding when a man comes and takes the (now) woman away. Our hero conjures a massive storm to slow his opponent. As the woman is slowing him down, the villain drops the woman and begins to run away. The hero chases down the man who eventually gets struck by a bolt of lightning.

Our hero returns to reunite with his love but, to his dismay, the woman is nowhere to be found. The years pass, and our hero remains alone. Every so often, however, he hears the song of his lover from the sea. It is the very song that gave him his gift.

Anyways, enough rambling, here's the link:

http://soundcloud.com/theorgangrinder/as-the-windmill-turns-1 or http://snd.sc/HDh3Pm

Source:

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmm, I do have a tuba, bass clarinet, and cello. Do you mean I should add a separate bassline for the rhythm section? Or are those instruments just too low in the mix? As for the chord progression, I had it like the original at first but for some reason it sounded weird to me. Didn't fit the vibe or something. Is it detracting from the song though?

Thanks again!

The bass instruments are definitely too low in the mix. Saying that, you really need ,for this kind of arrangement, to have some double bass in there to beef out the octave below. Even if it just plays the root of the chord on the first beat of each bar it would add some definition and robustness (and bounce) to the timing of the song. It would be rather nice if it entered the mix just before the violin solo or at the same time as the solo. I'm not familiar with the original but the arrangement in general is rather pretty and varied. It develops nicely and moves off to different ideas smoothly.

Biggest thing is to just get something to ground the bass and play in that lower octave. Simply doing that imo would add an awful lot to this. Nice work and very nicely done :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the piano part is beautiful. Very natural and expressive

Thanks for the feedback. I added a link to the source for those that aren't familiar with the original.

Great suggestion as for the timing of the bass. I'm gonna knock the tuba up a couple DB and then add in a section for some more bass. Since the song has a kind of natural bounce to it, I really like your idea of having it follow the first beat. I'm thinking while I'm at it, I'll come up with something to liven up the bass beyond that in some parts.

The violin is too low when first plays the melody. And as others have mentioned the bass is almost non-existent for the majority of the piece! Definitely needs to be turned up. You could consider adding some more interesting percussion parts to add to the intensity and offer up some rhythmic variation - the 6/8 vs. 3/4 thing is very interesting (to me) and is definitely a possibility here. I certainly get the narrative feel of this piece (as you described) so that came across well. Really, other than the piano solo, you never really branch off into your own thing. It's just repetitions of the source with different instruments playing the melody. I found the piano solo to be a little too long - or perhaps i felt it was drifting around aimlessly away from the source only to come back for 3 seconds at the end.

Also levels are definitely an issue in this piece! Make everything sound as full as you can!

I'd say definitely try to add harmonic and rhythmic variation here - that's what i think has the most potential in this piece. Also the main melody frequently makes use of arpeggios - maybe that's something you could look to extend?

Keep it up! The string pizz at the beginning sound good but it doesn't sound you're including the 3rd of the chord in these accompanying phrases... just sounds like open 5ths to me - seems quite weak imho. Perhaps this could work if you beef it up with some low horns/DB/cellos and stuff.

Thanks for the great feedback!

As an update, I've added a double bass section to make up for the lack of bass.

My next goal is to get rid of the repetition, or better yet, vary the rhythm/melody as Calum said. I'm really glad you liked the narrative feel. To be honest, that was the focus of that first mix. I'll definitely try to develop that more with some more interesting melodies. I also want to keep the whole thing under five minutes, so I may cut out one of the "big choruses."

The next week or so is going to be busy for me, but I'll try to post an update as soon as I can. Thanks again for the feedback so far!