OCR01393 - Sonic & Knuckles "Catapult"

djpretzel

Didn't follow the WIP but I think I would've liked it either way. I don't want to compare this to rAAw battery.. . So I won't. It is a different style any rate. ExcELLEnt electronica, but I agree to that maybe there may be too much distortion used.

The song had almost too much variation and the breakdowns chopped up the energy. It is pumped and fun, and it is on my playlist. Taking everything into a whole, and putting on some headphones make this track absolutely amazing.

This is brilliant, easily one of the best mixes to come to OC in a long time. Its obvious you put alot of hard work into this, and it really payed off. This goes right up there with Jivemaster's "Tight Finale" and DarkeSword's "TheTwinkleParkClassic". The best Sonic remix to date in my oppinion, simple amazing.

Schaweet.

Been rather Jaded on OCR recently, everything decent but nothing catching my interest. I don't know what exactly it is, but you always manage to hook me on your tracks, Dain.

Heck, forget paying me back ever, just get me in on another collab and we can call it even ;)

A+ work

P.S.

speaking of, I've got some new lines just waiting for the right beat. send me an email sometime and maybe we can arrange something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dislike the arrangement. You changed a lot of the chords, especially the progression in the 9 measures before the loop of the original song, which was my favorite part of the original by far. I also didn't like how you constantly volslided (volslid?) the melody in and out. That being said you got some wicked beats there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Man, this intro, THIS INTRO, those drums or whatever that begins this piece caught my attention from the start and then a moment later, BAM, onward with kick-ass trance and techno and all its glory swirling around in my headphones. This is clearly the best what I've heard from Beatdrop so far, it has action, speed and sudden twists and turns. Just like Sonic himself. :wink:

Too say that this remix is awesome isn't enough, it isn't even near it. It's Über-Duper-Super-Mega-Omni-Awesome. It shocks your mind and sets your entire body in motion.

I kept expecting it to break out into something really impressive and blow me away, but it never did.

Yes it did. The only problem is that it was located in the beginning, so didn't have much time expecting for it. Then it holds that pace until the end of it. Sure, it would be great if there would a terrific ending to it all, but I'm very stisfied with the beginning. It gets down to business right away. Definitly worth a download.

Without the need to quote Peter Griffin, it's hard to sum this piece up. This is one of my favorite tracks on the entire freaking site, and that says alot for those who know how MUCH is on this place. I used this and various other Sonic tracks and remixes as an alternate soundtrack to Sonic CD using an emulator...One of my favorite themes as it is, and treated like synth royalty with the royal treatment done by Beatdrop. Even the first few seconds makes it stand out (and worked quite well with the cards from the game). Freakin sweet...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a nutshell: Excellent in parts, thin in others.

The beat, instruments, tempo, and overall electric feel really do add something special to an already amazing track (the original was what kept me playing the game again and again =3). Its got the kind of rhythm that won't let your feet or head sit still, but at the same time the instruments don't feel like they're giving enough "oomph" to the remix. Also, the ending felt... cliched? Or maybe that's just me...

Jivemaster beat Beatdrop to using the jutter effect during the chorus (or 2:01 - 2:04), which is a shame since that would have really boosted the remix.

Its interesting to note where Beatdrop ruled is where Jivemaster stumbled, et visa versa (IMO). The intro to this remix suits it nicely, compared to a rather deafening bass line in Jivemaster's "rAAw Battery". Yet Jivemaster hit it spot on with the chorus, while Beatdrop's seemed to falter.

I love this, and yet I groan about it. This track is nice once in a while, but don't expect to be putting it on "Repeat 1" anytime soon...

Maybe the two songs should be combined? Only time will tell...

• 2 years later...

It sounds like other themes are mixed in there as well...

Lava Reef Zone? Launch Base Zone? or am I just hearing things? :?

The mix doesn't really stick close enough to the source for my liking.

All in all, it's an o.k. mix.

• 3 months later...

Those badass drums panned left at the start are in their own clique and don't take guff from anyone. But then they're blown away by the storm that is 0:14. This is the oomph that Catapult capitalizes on most of the way. The quieter sections carry a more "buoyant" momentum than the wall-of-sound sections, but they're no less captivating. It sounds like the drum echoes at 0:30 and 3:28 are shuddering in anticipation of the returning BOOM, amusingly. 1:11-1:13 offers some fresh and much obliged cymbal tappin' before we go streamlining.

When the lead plays at 1:27 and 3:36, I'm led to believe that key notes were chosen and sustained to facilitate smooth sailing through the electrifying soundscape. The first 4/5 notes are the hook, and the tail end drops 5 notes from the source. The whistle-y synth that pops up at 0:57 and 3:21 carries more off-the-wall notes from the source, probably because it isn't bound to act as the sole focus. And at last the chorus at 1:55 and 3:49 plays by the book, capping off the arrangement/driving it home.

Play it loud and play it proud.

• 9 months later...

Catchy and moving dance music, as is pretty much expected from the man named Beatdrop. Everything you'd expect from his take on this mix, and I'm especially a big fan of the dirtier synth usage and the kickass drums with their awesome stereo usage. Dirty bass rules my world. There's also a great meshing of noticeable source material with original avenues of melody and progression.

This is now on my workout playlist.

• 2 months later...

This has a super sick beat and a pretty classic chord structure that gives a great backing to all kinds of melodic synth goodness. After that teasing intro, I was pretty pleased with how it opened up, though I think a reverse cymbal leading up to it would have been even more epic. Some of the transitions where the track gets a little bit gated are great, and there are always a lot of quality textures keeping things moving.

Very good stuff, one of my favorite Beatdrop tracks.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Good, hard, danceable electronica! Ah, god, how I love this genre. I see what you did in the beginning and a few times during the ReMix, but it only adds to the track and I personally think it was a nice touch. The energy was terrific, the beat was fantastic (which is a given for a ReMixer named "Beatdrop") and I can say that this is my favorite Beatdrop remix as of now. Great work.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01393 - Sonic & Knuckles "Catapult"