Chrono Trigger & Cross_Sad theme mash-up

HoboKa

Needed to distance myself from the Shinra remix, so I made this for the time being..

The Source Tunes that I used unveiled!!(finally)

Chrono Trigger: "No Hope", "AD 2300"

Chrono Cross: "Prisoners of Fate"

http://www.mediafire.com/?gf9v6345h2j2ykj

Version 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?jayfr44eamntq4e

Version 3

http://www.mediafire.com/?8pl5190chfn3z84

In general, this is really nice. The gentle soundscape and builds really really well and is very well constructed. Not sure I can quite get used to the drums being biased to one side. The beat might be just a bit heavy for that, but then that's probably just personal preference. What is here sounds very well balanced, clear and very atmospheric. The structure works well and, bar a few transitions, flows rather nicely.

More specific points:

Transition at 1.06 could be a little smoother, perhaps it needs more of a pause before following through to the next section.

At 1.30 the beat is a little awkward. I get the pulling and pushing of the beat but it could be done more smoothly

The part at 3.00 is just BEAUTIFUL. I enjoyed that a lot.

At 3.21 the guitar could be brought forward some more but also sounds as though theres a little slip up.

3.39 the guitar delay trail could spread a little further into the next section to gel the transition a little better.

The ending piano is well done but could be a little smoother in parts. There are a couple of awkward timings. I understand that its like a rubato effect, but it should still sound smooth and flowing.

I can't comment on the source usage as I'm not familiar but no harm in posting a link to the original if you are wanting opinions on it :)

Edit: Just thought I'd emphasize the fact that I really enjoyed this :D

Love the intro, definitely succeeds in conjuring up the dreary Crono past, but I feel like the lighter section comes in a bit too soon? I want to say milk the sad intro a bit more, even though the mix is already pretty long, it's one of those efforts that warrants it.

I'm not familiar with the Cross source, but I feel like I hear that flute playing some off notes, specifically around 2:00. I understand that particular flute style is purposely flat/sharp, but you might want to watch it a bit closely. Again, not familiar with that source so take that into account.

The return to the sad section is nice. I want those distorted drums to really take center stage at some point, but they stay in the background. Maybe filter sweep them to the front and really work with the groove, and bring them back again to set up the next section. Just an idea.

Piano section is nice, but I think it comes in awkwardly since the previous section wasn't properly explored, and ends rather abruptly. That's really the overall impression I get - chock full of good ideas, but each section needs to be explored a bit more and the transitions really well handled. I love the concept and think it will come off quite well with some more TLC, and I wouldn't be afraid to make this a longer mix if I were you, maybe up to 6:00 or so.

YES. The first transition is still a little awkward IMO. The second transition back to the slow is perfect. I'm liking the string section around 4:00. Ending is great.

Is the piano sequenced? If so, very nice humanization on the timing, but I think you could be more dynamic with the levels. I'm no piano player so don't take that to heart, but it's worth messing with IMO.

I think if you can smooth out that first transition like the other, the arrangement is pretty damn solid. I'll have to check out the Cross source and give the whole thing another listen afterward to see if anything there strikes me.

One last thing I wanted to say: hopefully you're not impatient to get this submitted, because I feel like this kind of track depends greatly on pacing and the overall journey that the listener is taken through. After you've gotten it where you want it, it would be a good idea for you to leave alone completely for a while and come back as fresh as possible. Really listen and see if the journey you've created gels on the first playthrough.

That's all for now. It's been a while since I've had that much to say about a WIP, so that should show how much I like it. Cheers.

YES. The first transition is still a little awkward IMO. The second transition back to the slow is perfect. I'm liking the string section around 4:00. Ending is great.

Is the piano sequenced? If so, very nice humanization on the timing, but I think you could be more dynamic with the levels. I'm no piano player so don't take that to heart, but it's worth messing with IMO.

I think if you can smooth out that first transition like the other, the arrangement is pretty damn solid. I'll have to check out the Cross source and give the whole thing another listen afterward to see if anything there strikes me.

One last thing I wanted to say: hopefully you're not impatient to get this submitted, because I feel like this kind of track depends greatly on pacing and the overall journey that the listener is taken through. After you've gotten it where you want it, it would be a good idea for you to leave alone completely for a while and come back as fresh as possible. Really listen and see if the journey you've created gels on the first playthrough.

Whoops - forgot to address the 1st transition issue. That one seems to be a bit of a pain in the ass for me, do you have any suggestions on how I can 'smooth it out'?

That's all for now. It's been a while since I've had that much to say about a WIP, so that should show how much I like it. Cheers.

Yeah, I tend to let my remixes gather dust for a while and some of them I never get back to; however, I haven't felt this engaged with a remix in ages. I'm also quite pleased that you were wondering if my piano was sequenced or not :D, but yeah, everything here is done with FL Studio - no live playing here unfortunately.

The piano dynamics, I feel, are more or less on par - as I don't feel like over-tweaking to the point where it totally ruins the original feel =p

Thanks for the feedback Metaphist.

Hmm... in case I don't hear from you for a month, your track is actually a lot more consistent, overall, which is great. Sorry I don't have a more detailed answer but I'm not really available for comment until next week.

Okay...this is messed up - the "old" internet connection in my bredroom, hitherto, was completely defunct yet somehow it works now - or so I thought - I'm thinking that the DSL chord has been chewed on or was crimped somewhere - so it may crap out again on me very soon.

Anyyyways, I'm housing my PC in my bedroom now, cuz the gamesroom is being revamped of course >_< - thanks for the brief comment Gario =p

download worked the second time, I'll update this post in a sec. (eating tostadas. mmgood)

I like the ambiance at the start, so well done there :-P

Snare feels kinda wimpy. It's good in the ghost notes, but it doesn't really have a punch when it comes in on a 2 or 4.

The highs at 2:33 are a little grating to me, also they sound thin left hangin by themselves.

I love the pickup with the bass at 3:27

EEK! Sour note on that guitar at 3:43!

At 3:56 the string lead up is nice, but I feel it needs some bass frequencies in there. The bass you have in the song might work, but I'd lean more to an orchestral upright bass playing with those sustained chords. Might fill out the sound a bit.

I swore the song ended in the above crit there ^ so I gotta say the piano coming in was a bit of a shock. I think that outro needs something in the transition so we don't think the song ends. Maybe start the ambiance sooner? Or just rework that 'flow' a bit.

I like the intro, took me a while to recognize the source (actually had to look it up), but I like how you mixed it. The windy noise created a nice mood. The transition to the second theme sounds good IMO.

At 2:22 the flute plays a completely off note.

When "Prisioners of Fate" begins, I feel the drums don't add anything to the piece. Also, I think the section at 4:00 would sound great with only strings, and with a more "natural" sound.

Overall, the arrangement is pretty nice. The piano bits are good. Only drawbacks are the off notes in the flute and that some sounds are too unnatural (strings and bass drum mainly).