DooM 2: Septic Shuffle (Map09 Remix)

Proko V

Hi everyone, after 9 years of composing mostly acoustic music I decided to get into remixing. As one would expect I found myself rather ignorant about writing in this medium, I would appreciate help with my sound/sample quality.

I use Sibelius to create the MIDI basis for my tracks, Absynth 3 as my synth program, and Synthfont to render it to an MP3. Though I'm open to many solutions, using Sibelius (or really, any easy-to-use sheet music interface) is something I'm pretty adamant about.

Free MP3 download: Septic Shuffle.mp3

I appreciate the judge's panel taking their time to listen to the piece and directing me here. Thanks for taking the time to listen. :)

Definitely getting hold of a DAW of some sorts would be of great benefit in remixing. Sibelius is great when it comes to writing notation but as far as mixing and production goes, its kind of a deadend. You say you're adamant about using notation software but there is a lot of benefit in using piano scrolls. Having said that, there is no reason why you couldn't write it in Sibelius and then import the midi to the DAW of your choice (Cubase, Reason, FLStudio etc.) And get the mixing/production sorted. Perhaps check out Reaper: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13478 it has a free unlimited trial. So you can get familiar and learn. I'd say just to get some general info check out the production forum :)

As far as the mix goes, I'm not familiar with the original (a link to the original will help people reference). You could definitely do with some variation in the sound/instruments used. The writing sounds good, but the everything sounds pretty much the same. Use timbrally different synth patches for the bass, accompaniments and melody lines. That would really help in seperating things out. I think really, the best thing to develop this initially would be to get your instrumentation sorted (ie choose better synth patches/samples for each part). Its difficult to currently pick out parts. This is where the advantage of using a DAW comes in, is you can use a variety of synthesizers and samples. Its also easier to manipulate the parts and adjust them so that they work better with the chosen synth/samples.

Anywho, I hope that is of some help. I don't know how much or exactly what info you wanted but hopefully something there is of relevance to you. It was just about a year and a half ago when I was first getting to grips with writing/remixing so I definitely get where you're coming from. Before then I only wrote acoustic music with Sibelius :)

This is so dirty Gritty & groovy... i dont think i want to shower just yet.

I havent done any mixes since WinGroove was new so i dont have any really suggestions, but keep going in the direction youre moving.I'm personally not a big fan of synth bass so maybe a few less "growling instruments? Also a tight 808 drum would define the heavy more instead of being lost behind the melody...(so much for no suggestions) also that bit of flair at the end would work really nice in the middle somwhere too with a short dramatic pause before decsending into absolute lunacy.

BTW the source title is Into Sandy's City

I'm gonna pop in for a sec and echo Magellanic. I used to use Finale and was in the same boat, adamant about scoring using a program that... was good for exactly that. But when dealing with the actual audio rather than the physical sheet music, it's really not the way to go. I picked up FL Studio after my first remix was NO'd a little less than a year ago, and was super surprised at how much freedom you get with a DAW like FL (although it sounds like you're using a Mac, in which case Magellanic had some good program suggestions (but left out Logic)). Less than a month after getting FL, I finished another mix and (after a month or so getting feedback here in the WIP forum :D ) it was YES'd.

So there's my success story, from a guy who can relate to your situation. Good luck!

(Sorry I didn't actually give you a critique, don't have much time right now)

Thanks for the replies, it's comforting to hear from people who were in my situation being able to adapt to new methods of writing. I'm actually using a PC (a 5 1/2 year old one at that!), I'll look into all of the programs you guys suggested and up the quality of the piece. I appreciate it guys!

@uglee: I can never remember the actual title, thanks for reminding me! Thinking of renaming it Sandy's Shuffle or the like, Sandy's Septic Shuffle? I'll throw around ideas for that. Thanks for the suggestions too!

Thanks for the replies, it's comforting to hear from people who were in my situation being able to adapt to new methods of writing. I'm actually using a PC (a 5 1/2 year old one at that!), I'll look into all of the programs you guys suggested and up the quality of the piece. I appreciate it guys!

@uglee: I can never remember the actual title, thanks for reminding me! Thinking of renaming it Sandy's Shuffle or the like, Sandy's Septic Shuffle? I'll throw around ideas for that. Thanks for the suggestions too!

If you rename it... the obvious choice is "Septic Sandy"

btw this has made it onto my morning bike ride rotation.. Solid beat.