Midi and putting your own album together

Hey folks of the OCR!

I've been dabbling around with many different apps.

Audacity, Waveform, Acoustica beatcraft and mixcraft.

Cakewalk (haven't tried anything with it yet though)

So I guess its a pretty broad question to ask but what are some basic tips when mixing?

I really want to convert some of my guitar solos to midi but am finding it hard to figure how to do that.

Do you really need a midi controller in order to do such a thing?

I guess you could say I'm still a babe in the woods!

But any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Zircon's mixing guide is a pretty good place to start. You can find the link in the forum post. Another good place to start that I'd recommend is www.therecordingrevolution.com and their 5 minutes to a better mix series. It's not so much how to twist each knob but more about how to take your song and make it sound much better through simple techniques.

Converting guitar solos to midi is something I gave up on years ago because it was extremely difficult. To be fair though, I haven't tried since then so the programs could've improved by leaps and bounds to make it much easier in the last 5 years or so. I opted to use a midi controller and just play the parts on the midi controller, but you don't need a midi controller to do that you can just mouse click each note into the program. Takes a lot longer that way, but it's possible.

I really want to convert some of my guitar solos to midi but am finding it hard to figure how to do that.

You buy a device like this: http://sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html

or you buy something like this: http://www.axon-technologies.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=37&menu=107

Do you really need a midi controller in order to do such a thing?

MIDI controllers will not convert your guitar's sound for you. Software has barely learned to recognize the notes in polyphonic music.

Hey thanks I'll check out that guide.

Had a feeling it wouldn't be doable.

I've been playing for a couple of years but I know I will never be good enough to play even an open mic. ha

Besides I play best when I'm alone or at least when I think I am!

As for mixing well I keep doing the sampling thing, record, try to piece it together somehow.

But its very frustrating because I always feel there is something that is missing or there is too much of something.

This guy www.danielmusica.com is really the type of artist I aspire to be.

Hes not cocky, hes not commercial, just a dude trying to make his art real.