OCR02412 - Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Her Smile in Every Summer"

djpretzel

I agree with the others who said they didn't like the vocals much in the beginning, and I also found the performance overly sloppy. But... this is just too catchy not to grow on me, just like it did on them :nicework: This is one of very few ReMixes I think would pass as a "normal" song to people who don't care for ReMixes (i.e. if you're not familiar with the source, there's no hint of this being a video game song, or a remix thereof), while still keeping plenty of references to the game in the lyrics. Plus, like Emunator said, the performance itself is like a nod to the original. Nice work!

Edited by Dafydd

• 3 weeks later...

so one of my closest friends passed away last monday; of course, no one was hit as hard as his fiancé.

thinking about the lyrics in this song made me realize that it's probably rather fitting to how his fiancé feels right now (substituting "her" for "him" to make it work, of course)

so yeah, this song is now totally dedicated to them. at least, in my eyes it is.

• 1 month later...

I put this on and sing with it to calm my 7 month old down. Totally awesome track. It reaffirms my desire to listen to all of the tracks that come out on this site, despite how I feel about the source game, because I REALLY disliked Windwaker! Great job Hot Freaks!

I think it's interesting that a bunch of posts said "first wasn't sure but now love it." I feel the same way, it was an acquired taste for me and I acquired it at 2nd listen. It reminds me of Zooey Deschanel and She & Him because their music for me is very summery and happy. Nice work.

• 3 weeks later...

<Arrow> Which reminds me, I need to start reviewing more

<DragonAvenger> arrow

<DragonAvenger> http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02412/

<DragonAvenger> that one please

<Arrow> Oh god

<Arrow> I don't even know what to say about that one

<DragonAvenger> because its SO GOOD

<Arrow> Other than "I've been listening to this track at least once a day since it came out"

<DragonAvenger> for real

<Arrow> Like, I can't offer any actual legit commentary or criticism

<DragonAvenger> there is a reason

<DragonAvenger> my judgement of it

<DragonAvenger> is....short

<Arrow> All I could do in the review is just gush nonsensically

<Arrow> Actually, you know what?

<Arrow> I'll just post this convo text right in there AS a review

• 1 month later...

I just heard this remix for the first time yesterday, and wow, I am totally blown away. It's hard for me to articulate it in words.

First of all, I wasn't familiar with the source, but still instantly fell in love with the remix upon hearing it. So after playing it on repeat a few times, I listened to the source on YouTube. After hearing the source as well, I have to say that for me, this remix epitomizes what VGM rearrangement is all about. I cannot believe how much of the source was used in this song, and woven together seamlessly into a rock song. Had I heard the song on its own, I would have just thought it was an original, and not any kind of rearrangement of anything, because everything flows and fits together so naturally.

Love the style. I'm a big Weezer fan, and I see the similarity there that Dave mentioned, so I would naturally be a sucker for this style. The playing and singing sound a little loose, which makes it very organic sounding, but at the same time they are spot on. The lyrics are amazing as well.

I don't know what else to say. I seriously think everything about this song is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The way the lyrics fit along with the music just makes for something ridiculously fun. I really just want to bop back and forth during the chorus. It's got a really good "la, la-la, la-la" feeling to it right about there, great for the warm sunny days. So damn catchy. Great ReMix.

• 5 months later...

I just listened to this song for the second time, the first being right when it came out. I decided to look into it again because some people on IRC told me to listen to it. To be quite honest, I didn't like it the first time I heard it. I felt the lyrics didn't match the atmosphere created by the instruments and that something seemed kinda...off technically (even though I have no expertise in production or any type of musical talent).

Now my thoughts have changed.

The lyrics are more personally relevant to me now, almost eerily exactly how I feel at this particular moment in my life. I cried while listening and reading the lyrics because I share the same sentiment as the singer if one would interpret them in a sad way. What I see as a juxtaposition of the atmosphere of the song and the meaning of the lyrics is brilliant. It paints a picture of what could have been the singer's future and the reality of the present situation. Alternatively, I can see the singer moving forward with his life and using his memories of the girl as motivation to improve himself.

I didn't give this song enough of a chance when I first heard it. But thankfully I now see the amazing creative freedom one has to interpret the lyrics and how powerful this song can be for anyone. I highly recommend this song!

Edited by kitty

• 2 months later...

It took a while for this to grow on me, which is why I didn't review it before. Not that it wasn't good -- I always recognized that it was good, I just wasn't familiar with Wind Waker at all. I listened to this song a lot, even saw it performed live by OverClocked University and that was amazing. I played Wind Waker for the first time earlier, and when I got out into the first area and heard the song in the background, it was like hearing a cover of this remix, but more stripped down. :lol: So in a really cool way, this was the first I heard the theme, and this has become the definitive version of it for me -- I like it more than the game version, which is great as well, but when you hear something this good first, the smaller game version doesn't hold a candle to it. Really good, and quite frankly, a genius arrangement of the source. I hope to hear more!

• 1 year later...

So this was the mix that made me finally accept Vocals in remix. I implore any individuals out there who still harbor prejudices against Lyrical remixes, to see the error in their way! This mix is perfect as a ensemble live band remix and there exists very to criticize only praise. My only complaint is that the Hot Freaks seem to have gone silent in the past year, lost at sea in a tumultuous ocean that tend to consume live performance bands...but let us hope we spot their sails on the horizon, eventually. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm no hater of vocal remixes, but I'll admit that when I come across one, I often click "play" and expect that I'm not going to like it.

And then I was pleasantly surprised by this today. It's upbeat, happy, has a bit of melancholy in the story the lyrics tell, and it's catchy, the more times you listen to it. As people have already said, this song has a "summery" feel to it. Perfect for me to listen to while the air is freezing, and I am surrounded by mounds of snow. (Ha. Good times.)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02412 - Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Her Smile in Every Summer"
  • 9 months later...