What you don't like about music

I don't like not being very good at making music.

I never know what to fix in production, and when i do know what to change, I don't know how, or I don't have a better sample, and I don't like having to find a way around that. I also really don't like trying to figure out where changeups should come in my song.

These are all things that will get better with time, I'm sure, but for now it's very frustrating.

I also hate writing lyrics. I'm a terrible lyricist.

A wise friend said "we are all works in progress."

What pretentious poser would say something like that?

I don't like how I run out of ideas half way through a track. I've started thousands of tracks, finished very few. Usually because whatever I started was a single idea, and I couldn't come up with some compatible ones to continue the track with when i could just as well make a new track for my new ideas... the ones that only add to the single-idea wip archive.

I should learn to do more with chords. Stacking random notes from a scale to form some nice chord is easy. Breaking scales... not easy.

And not taking my own advice. I also hate how I often don't not... do... that.

My exact words were "everyone is a work in progress".

I should learn to do more with chords. Stacking random notes from a scale to form some nice chord is easy. Breaking scales... not easy.

I bought "Jazz Improvisation 1: Tonal and Rhythmic Principles" by John Mehegan a month or so ago, and it's been insanely helpful in getting me to stop thinking about writing tonal harmonies and start thinking simply about the harmonic quality I'm shooting for. Even if you're not looking to learn jazzy harmony, just going through the first 75 or so pages of the book will teach you a lot of (perhaps) new ways to approach chords outside of using the typical ones in a single scale.

Caveat: the book is fairly rare and commensurately expensive.

Probably coming up with a good chord progression. that's the hardest thing at least.

i also have the same issue as rozovian. its really discouraging to not finish a track. its usually because i just dont like the song. I think once I truly find a style / set of instruments I can really connect myself too, it won't be as much of an issue. I'm still searching though. all the time trying new things.

What pretentious poser would say something like that?

My exact words were "everyone is a work in progress".

I stand corrected. Wise words, nonetheless.

I wish I was better at instrumentation. This is such a tremendous learning process... sometimes painful, always interesting, and every now and then, deeply satisfying.

I'm so very grateful for the amazing friends I've made since beginning this musical journey. *smiles at D*

I'm not much of a percussionist but the key difference is shaping the note while it's being played. I assisted teaching a bass methods class in college and I always thought it was funny that when I was helping a percussionist play something melodic he/she would hit the note then move on immediately. To get more expression, try imagining an image or event that the music seems to describe to you and think of that while you play.

Interesting...

I do tend to approach it as a sequential journey - 'and onto the next note' tends to be my mindset ninty per cent of the time...

I bought "Jazz Improvisation 1: Tonal and Rhythmic Principles" by John Mehegan a month or so ago, and it's been insanely helpful in getting me to stop thinking about writing tonal harmonies and start thinking simply about the harmonic quality I'm shooting for. Even if you're not looking to learn jazzy harmony, just going through the first 75 or so pages of the book will teach you a lot of (perhaps) new ways to approach chords outside of using the typical ones in a single scale.

Caveat: the book is fairly rare and commensurately expensive.

Sounds like something I'd like. Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Improvisation-Tonal-Rhythmic-Principles/dp/0823025594

If so, $13.78 isn't so bad :P