SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Also, having huge teams (as in bracket sized) go against each other could be thrilling.

16 vs 16 all out remixing brawl, or team deathmatch style. Whoever roast the most.

Might be a concept to explore and experiment with in future compos. ;)

If we really wanted to do a compo with two megateams, it could be done round-robin style, where eventually everyone on each team goes up against everyone on the other team. It would take forever, though--16 weeks if everyone went every week without breaks. It would have to be shorter time limits, like 2 days. Or it could be double- or triple- elimination style.

OK OK OK... Pancakes and Lizards aside (forgive me), I actually have a question for everyone in this competition.

How does everyone prepare for something like this? Obviously you cannot get a head start because you don;'t know who you're up against, but does anyone at least start the portion of their own song ahead of time, or start gathering some sounds they might think they will use....

OK OK OK... Pancakes and Lizards aside (forgive me), I actually have a question for everyone in this competition.

How does everyone prepare for something like this? Obviously you cannot get a head start because you don;'t know who you're up against, but does anyone at least start the portion of their own song ahead of time, or start gathering some sounds they might think they will use....

Can't speak for everyone else but all I do is listen to my pick now and then to get some ideas till the round starts. If I get really inspired I would boot Reason and start messing with stuff or playing some melodies but nothing sort of "starting ahead of time" This is because you don't know what you get next, and what you get might not fit with the style you previously started your song with etc. So yeah, wait till the round starts, it's good sportsmanship too.

Anyways, back to wildfire spreading out lizards on pancakes or something.

No you start after your round begins and end before your round ends

Don't cheat like a lizard!

I know. I was just curious how people get ideas really. When I start this comp's remix, I will be clicking "New Project" in Logic :). I'll even start 2 days late because I'll be getting back from camping. But this pancake isn't any less dangerous... oohhhhh I'll tell you! I have some nefarious plans up my sleeves!

There is something dangerous about pancakes because Grandma watches us eat. "How you gonna catch a lizard with your backside loading you down?":lmassoff:

Normally, I don't take a slice at my track until the last day. The waiting butters up my anticipation. When I finish I sizzle my track against the grill of my opponent. I don't know what to say; I tend to cook when the odds are stacked against me.

When things look rough, I start climbing the walls... but then I remind myself to take it slow, I make things blend in a lot more so they aren't noticed, and then I get start getting all the bugs out. If things get really bad, I just drop my ending altogether.

...at least, I bet that's what the Sonic bracket folks do... those dang lizards...

He's a pancake, you should know better.

More of a Frixuelos, actually. :wink:

How does everyone prepare for something like this?

Well, considering the relative complexity of my source and the fact that I'm TOO SLOW, proly gonna try to translate by ear before the compo.

Once my match and his/her source is known, I'll either decide on a direction or I'll spread maple syrup on the walls while shuddering in fear. ;P

I think the best approach is to be patient, forget about mixing until the compo starts. Once you find out your sources, proceed to panic, ending up in the mixer (ie me) ripping their hair out as they fruitlessly try and fuse two sources together into one cohesive tune........

If you prepare before hand, where's the thrill or realising you underestimated how much time was needed? :P

Once my match and his/her source is known, I'll either decide on a direction or I'll spread maple syrup on the walls while shuddering in fear. ;P
This is also a fantastic and tasty approach!

Personally I've been brainstorming my source in different styles, an I've even thrown some other source in my head to see how my own source could potentially accompany another (ie fills in the source or strong chords). My thought is that if I know my own source like the back of my hand then it'll be easier to mesh with another.

Personally I've been brainstorming my source in different styles, an I've even thrown some other source in my head to see how my own source could potentially accompany another (ie fills in the source or strong chords). My thought is that if I know my own source like the back of my hand then it'll be easier to mesh with another.

That's what I've been doing, and I'll probably spend some time next week figuring out the melodies & harmonies to my track by ear.

Well, I've got 15 provisional directions going on for depending on who I'm matched up with. Like with Plant Man for the WCRG, I have a tendancy to pick sources that are fun, catchy, don't have too much going on and are under-represented on OCR; so hopefully this will turn out a good treat. :)

There are no Emerald Hill remixes? WHAT?

Rexy, I'm officially rooting for you. Emerald Hill deserves so much OCR love!