SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Ummm, is Google Talk different from the Google Chat in gmail? Or are they the same thing? I'm in Google chat in gmail quite frequently, but I'm on my phone right now at work (very productive, yes I know) so I'm not logged in now. I'm on a lot at night when I get home from work. But given our time difference, you Brits are mostly likely asleep at that time :) you're 6 hours ahead of EDT I think yes? so that could be why you don't see me on often.

I'm pretty sure they're similar expect that Google Chat is a web version. But if you're too busy working, I'll simply try not to bother you too much :P

well I made sure to get my assignments out of the way... I was up till nearly 2am last night tracking both sonic zones... I don't like to toss midi files in, so I picked everything out by ear, takes forever but I guess it's good ear training. I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out how the hell I turn two songs into one... never done a remix, so this is quite the challenge! I still have 2.5 days though...

Edit: Also Sir Jordanius' zone, Sunset Park, I have never heard before (never owned a gamegear). Very weird melody progression... and kind of salsa-ish, and out of tune it sounds in some sections... Has anyone else never heard their competitors zone music before?

I think that's the most fun part - trying to figure out how to blend two different sources together. Remember, you don't have to use every aspect of both sources. Maybe Source A's melody sounds cool over Source B's bass and background instruments. Or maybe the two melodies can be blended together to create some new, unique melody. You can mess with the genre, key, tempo, etc. There's tons of ways you can go with it.

Mokram... isn't that a dragon priest mask from Skyrim?

Anyway, yeah SuperiorX I understand how it can be fun trying to figure it out, but at the same time it's kind of frustrating! Arrangement has always been my weakest area, but I know I'll keep getting better the more I try (and the more songs I finish). I just want to make some bloody fantastic music that you guys will enjoy.

So it's ok to put like 5 notes from each source provided the arrangement is catchy and the prod is decent?
Technically yes, but...
When voting, consider three things: how well the mix is made from a technical standpoint, the enjoyability of the mix, and—most importantly—how well the mix arranges both source tunes.

... you probably won't win. If your opponent's mix used more of the sources but was just plain awful, you might win anyway, as it's just one factor to be considered.

Oh man, I cannot wait - Collision Chaos is one of my favourite VGM of ALL TIME... and you may even make Splash Hill listenable for me :P

hehe thanks, hope you'll dig it. the hardest part is deciding which time-zone to use. :P loved your take on tidal tempest, can't wait to see how you change things up in the next round. :)

Just about 2.5 days left Robotniks! It sounds like most of you are making good progress. Keep it up!

hehe thanks, hope you'll dig it. the hardest part is deciding which time-zone to use. :P loved your take on tidal tempest, can't wait to see how you change things up in the next round. :)

Yeah I can't wait to see how Akumajo beats me next round either :smile: (assuming we both make it)

Just about 2.5 days left Robotniks! It sounds like most of you are making good progress. Keep it up!

Yeah I can't wait to see how Akumajo beats me next round either :smile: (assuming we both make it)

Haha, will if we both make it through :) It'll be awesome matches all the way through though, regardless of who ends up with who :)

Ooooooo!

I already have some potential ideas stewing about in my head for this Saturday. Should be interesting, though. I start my new job on Monday so I'm hoping my brain won't be too fried.

As do I... with a possible *SECRET WEAPON*?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Good luck with the job, hope it doesn't muck things up for ya. I want you at your best this round ;)