SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

I mean, if the original mp3 was 320k and you re-encoded it at 320k as well, the quality loss is negligible

so I wouldn't worry about it unless the original file was 192k or something, in which case you should at the very least re-encode at 320k to minimize quality loss

whatevah :P

Thank you Mr. Briggs! I re-encoded it at 320k, I figured there would be no quality loss (or negligible as you said) and that was a better option that having the track skip around.

I would have loved to, but I didn't have the time. Maybe I'll pitch it to the Muffins and we'll do it for real!

YES! That would be a great idea! Some trumpet in there would be sexy. Almost as sexy as DAT BASS! I thought your lyrics were quite clever too. They weren't super-cheesy video game lyrics, but had enough references in them to still make them related. You and Sir Jordanius were probably my favs this round. Nice work!

ok boss i'm going to try to be online for the next few hours. i just got word that i'll be heading home to haiti for the next few days (prolly around 9+) so i'll prolly have to get all my voting and minireviews done now since i'll most likely be in the country-side with the fam the whole time.

do i need to resend a better download link or is the problem for my track fixed now?

did black panther and the other folks make it in time?

regardless, best of luck to everybody.

ok boss i'm going to try to be online for the next few hours. i just got word that i'll be heading home to haiti for the next few days (prolly around 9+) so i'll prolly have to get all my voting and minireviews done now since i'll most likely be in the country-side with the fam the whole time.

do i need to resend a better download link or is the problem for my track fixed now?

did black panther and the other folks make it in time?

regardless, best of luck to everybody.

Cool, enjoy your time back home! If you win this round, you'll be mixing again the week of 5/26-6/2, you think you'd be back by then?

And nah, I re-encoded your track so it didn't so the skippy thing if people try jumping around in the track. So unless you wanted to re-encode it yourself, I think we're fine. Nice job on the song too, I loved it!

And no, unfortunately BlackPanther and Sir_NutS didn't turn in mixes this round :(

aw man, aight black panther and sir nuts *in an annoying sonic voice* "maybe next time."

i should definitely be back by the first of june, but i'd be hella surprised if people actually dig my track enough to pass on to the next round. :nicework:

listening to everybody's stuff as we speak, niiiiiiiiice. so many sick arrangements, i like it.

i should definitely be back by the first of june, but i'd be hella surprised if people actually dig my track enough to pass on to the next round. :nicework:

haha I don't know... it's pretty awesome. Well worse case it sounds like that would still give you a day or so to whip something up. If not, obviously going home is more important.

alright, minireview time

Arceace vs. halc:

aw yeah, arceace. right from the beginning i'm digging the drum beat and the sporadic samples and sonic blips. I've never been much of a fan of echo'd pianos because it gives me a disney princess vibe, but the overall production balance is so crisp that it's not a bother. not once does the song feel redundant, and the melodic treatment is so damn catchy. totally digging all the breakdowns and parts where the synths and drums are slowly busting out of the filters. not much crits here, but it would've been nice to hear a few more sporadic percussion later on in the song or at least some more of the glitchy sonic blips.

over all, very nice. could use a bit more variation, but i dig it.

i totally dig the soundscape and overall texture, it feels very atmospheric and blissful.

gooooood daaaayyyyum, halc with the phat sampling and electrohop grooves once again. the source tune is delicious in itself, but i was bobbing my head so hard to the part around 1:00 and 2:47. i dunno the exact sound, but i love how you used the item box explosion thingy kind of like a huge ambient sssspppppssssshhhh cymbal. lol, 3:36, killin it with them stutters. dunno if this is vopm or sn-emu or whatever, but that bass line and that drum beat is head-bopperific. that brrrrriiiddddiiillliiingaliningalingalingaling sound is so juicy (you know what i'm talking about). only gripe though is that 2:28ish to about 2:47 sounded uber boring and somewhat unnecessary, and it just gave me a serial anime filler kind of vibe. :<

---------------------

brandon strader vs. tuberz mcgee:

i knew this one was going to be tough since i'm supadupa aroused by both of these fellas music, and in the end i just flipped a coin to make my choice. :mrgreen:

strader, ooooooh yeah dawg, it's always refreshing to hear your more post-rock singing since it's very angelic and fulfilling, imo. i'm just going to go ahead and skip to the gripe: around 3:30.... god man, everytime i hear that particular 90s/80s epiano sound it's just bonerkill to me, but meh that's just my preference. i totally adore how the mixing/playing of the sax in the beginning sounds so malleable that it could faintly pass as a synth, viola, or even a human voice; dunno how many different layers you stacked to get that sound, but it totally paid off man. you did an incredibly fine job with this and although we all respect your metal chops, it's always a treat to hear your more alternative-rock stuff. great mixing of the sources by the way, it didn't feel like "oh, now this is source A and this is clearly source B," it just felt like one unified idea.

tuberz, maaaannnn i've got to start leeching off of you and strader because your guitar textures and soundscapes are so mesmerizing and encompassing. dunno if the inspiration was supposed to be obvious, but i'm getting heavy TRTS vibes from this (or any big main post/alt rock name). i feel like the low, backgroundish treatment of the drums was a putoff at first but when the mutant half step glitchy drums kick in i see what you were going for and it worked well. main gripe, fade out ending, but it's understandable. fadeouts are rarely ever tolerated/enjoyed anyways.

man, this was definitely the hardest choice so far because it seemed like both mixers went for the "if-edgar-allan-poe-were-in-a-garage-band" sentimental approach. lovely textures and melodic treatment, huge kudos for the both of ya. i think it's awesome that i had to use a coin just to decide since i thoroughly enjoyed them both. definitely going on my personal playlist.

------------------------

AMT vs. urdailywater:

AMT, hell fucking yeah. i mean, what more is there to say? no gripes here at all. imo, it's fricken perfect. seamless combining of the sources and captivating arrangement, i love it. 1000000/10.

urdailywater, niiiiiice very chill and mellow. what's with all these sentimental, bittersweet arrangements to sonic tunes? this mix probably made that girl in your sig cry a huge puddle.

those ambient noises and whooshing effects totally make the song.

very dreamy and ethereal sounding. man... dunno if it's just me but this has an extremely somber, almost tragic-loss vibe to it.

veeeeeery beautiful and serene.

--------------------------------------------

gario vs. enigami:

gario, those gated synths are so aurally juicy! lol, i love those retro "go wikkiwikki come on!" sounds. short and sweet, true to it's name, the mix starts aggressive immediately and launches the listener until they're just floating in the space of the post-adrenaline rush by the end of the song. it would've been nice to occasionally run the gated synth thing through a really thick filter or wah effect instead of just having it pan back and forth, but it sounds good nonetheless.

enigami, hooooooooooooooly shit mane! don't even fuck with me like that! :lmassoff: anytime i hear that windows error sound i come close to shitting my pants... oh god nice job, definitely got the listener's attention.

edit: oooooh nevermind, reading through some of the other comments now. ah, i see you had a twist of bad fortune. man, that bites, but i'm sure the main idea was ridiculously awesome. at first i was like "cool, a trololol remix" but then i was like "i know that feel, bro." :-(

---------------------------------

Dj mokram vs. wildfire:

dj mokram, well shiiiiyit! this mixer's not playing around. i'm not a fan of megalomania super genre smash morphin time songs that switch up a lot, but this was very interesting and pleasing. i loved the juxtaposition with the harsh synths and the elegant piano, but i do think you could've laid off a bit with some of the vocal clips because it started becoming a bit annoying (...then again, i'm really a fan of listening to sonic's voice actors for more than 3 seconds). awesome synthwork and overall production as well as extensive use of musical imagery, but again the vocal clips were like having too much frosting on an already delicious cake.

wildfire, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW YYYYEEEEEAAAAHHH. *in a david bowie voice*: now this i can jam to. dat sidechain.... dat groovy bass line.... not even going to lie, this song probably had me head bobbing and fist pumping as hard, if not harder than, briggs' "trash fm" mix. meh, i can't give a full constructive analysis on this since most of my points would be genre bias cockriding, but just know that i totally dig the shit out of this. i actually got up to jam out to this one. :nicework:

mokram's was much more liberal and i feel like he did much more with the sources, but in the end i just have an unfair fetish for those four-on-the-floor beats. ^_^

----------------

syllix vs. sir jungalungavrrrrooooomsdfmklsdjklpsssh:

SYLLIX YOU FUCKING LIAR!!!! you were acting as though you were an electronoob, and i knew it, you snack on killer studio chops every day!

duuuuuude, i totally love that oldschool synthy 80s vibe man... no crits here, another example of exquisite combining of the different sources. nice one mate, very clean and good.

sir jordanius. lol, furry innuendos and random samples. main gripe, several of the sounds and mid eq areas blend in way too much and every time that overly compressed snare drum hits i feel like part of my childhood is being violated. a very different arrangement, and you have to listen closely more than once to catch all the sources, but the overall mixing and mastering could be more refined. also, fakeass brass are fake.... y u no record your real sax and trumpets?

-------------------

congrats and kudos to everyone, i'll definitely be jamming hard to these during my flight to and fro.

peace

jordan

EDIT: forgot these 2 because their respective contenders couldn't make it in time.

chernabogue, niiiiiiice, the initial groove reminds me of kanye's jesus walks (i mean that in a good way. it's a good way).

man, when the second back beat comes in that beat is sooooooo phat ( around 0:57ish). i've got my eyes on you cause i just might need your orchestral hip hop expertise in the future...

that bari/tenor/whatever sax is so greedy and when the rap comes in towards the end i was like "aaaaw yeeeeeeeeeah boi, that's my jam." clean production as expected from you.

king tiger :lmao ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!!!! dude, i'm slapping the crap out of my knee over here.... hilarious man. "my wife doesn't want to hear me rapping." very classy, i like the effect you have on the vocals in the chorus, but the clarity of the words are a bit muddied or lost with the saturation of the effect. either way i dig it man. nice positive lyrics, though it's not the my cup of tea in regards to rapping material and flow, but the idea and source blending was executed good!

peace

i'm just going to go ahead and skip to the gripe: around 3:30.... god man, everytime i hear that particular 90s/80s epiano sound it's just bonerkill to me, but meh that's just my preference.

I personally love that sound, and I considered it the highlight of 0:34 -- the usage of it at the end is actually a repeat. But the levels are off and the mixing is bad so I can understand how that seems like the first time people hear it.

I'll clean the song up a lot before I consider it 100% done

Thanks for the kind words :-P

I think it's less that and more that we actually just prefer the other person's take.

I love Brandon to bits and I said to him that I would totally meld our themes together even if we didn't get matched up together.

I love you man. I love you all.

We love you too. :smile:

Also, thanks to all for the kind comments. I was afraid my track wouldn't be good, but it seems most of you liked it. :)